Ripp Superchargers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ripp Superchargers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
RIPPMODS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
I'm supposed to accept that 4-6 PSI is acceptable only at high rpms? Yeah I can see how a lower rpms (and pressures) it would cause "havoc".

The RIPP supercharger is ideal for these engines. But the drivel and all out BS coming from the company makes me uncomfortable with them...................
We - certainly do not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable - we simply provide info as we've collected it - if its your (or this communities) position to believe one "vendor" over another that's your prerogative - We have collected more data and proved more independent testing than any of the other superchargers combined - We have pushed the limited of the 3.8's heads cam and valve size and know exactly where to stop - We went further and developed a long tube header which develops more bolt-on rear wheel HP than any header manufacturer and our supercharger competitors - if the data does not coincide with your "feelings" that does not weigh on the facts.

The video your looking at is a development video - The vehicle is our test mule which has completed 25000 miles of supercharged daily driving. Our original test mule was sold off at 56000+ miles. What you see is our GEN1 Hardware (original kit which sold over 400 pieces to date) with GEN2 Electronics and Front mounted air to air intercooler (new for fall of 2010) - This vehicle is now producing 291lbs/ft or torque and 240rear wheel hp. As you can clearly see the roots does not produce more of anything and in fact loses HP and Torque throughout - as opposed to our system which only gets better as the RPM's pour on - We ask you, which would you rather merge onto the highway with - the one that gets slower or the one that gets faster?

Questions Welcome
RIPPTECH

YouTube - JK RIPP Supercharged 37's AUTO 288lbs/ft Torque 2500rpm.MOV

YouTube - Avenger Superchargers at Revolutions Performance

This is the Dyno sheet from the Roots blower from the red jeep in the video -

2005-2011 Wrangler Supercharger Kits
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
I'm supposed to accept that 4-6 PSI is acceptable only at high rpms? Yeah I can see how a lower rpms (and pressures) it would cause "havoc".

The RIPP supercharger is ideal for these engines. But the drivel and all out BS coming from the company makes me uncomfortable with them...................
I don't know why I am going to ask this but here it goes; If RIPP is nothing but drivel and BS how would you describe what you just said? RIPP backed their statement with good supportive facts... You just said "ripp, you're wrong just because". There is drivel and BS here but it's not coming from RIPP.

As far as I am concerned RIPP is the best kit and I hope they don't get entangled in an opinion based argument. If you want a roots system, go buy one.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
wilhouse
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the interesting information.
Have to agree with the above post. Sometimes facts aren't enough.

I have a question for the RIPP folks.
How long would you recommend I wait before installing one of your kits on an '11 Wrangler?

Ken
wilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhouse View Post

How long would you recommend I wait before installing one of your kits on an '11 Wrangler?

Ken
Well I'd do a normal break in period on the engine personally and then get the Gen 2 kit with intercooler.

I wish I could have avoided the black box and spraying the engine with windshield wiper fluid, but it was just too tempting. lol That being said, I like the Gen 2 way of doing things so much I'm seriously considering going this route, even after blowing a head gasket and shelling out 3k. Driving around back at stock HP is just a huge difference and not in a good way. I'd love to get the Burnsville VVT hemi kit, but I'm simply not confident enough in my own skills, not to mention unless the local community college wants to rent me some space, my garage just isn't a viable option for doing it.

I really think their new kit using the Diablo programmer and the custom tune is a good way to go and should eliminate any lights, limp mode, etc. I just wish someone had an Avenger SC who lived near someone with a RIPP Gen 2 to compare the two head to head on an automatic. I say auto, because as I understand it, the converter doesn't lock up at a low enough RPM to get an accurate reading on the dyno, so a head to head, real world show down would be really cool as well as informative.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Ken
Yup, I'd wait for the break in period to be over then put it on. I'd even order and have sitting in my garage just waiting for the odometer to turn. You're probably good to go:

A long break-in period is not required for the engine in your new vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
Unread 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

A friend of mine installed one of these last year...He loves it!
Only a few things....
First when the summer rolls around and it gets hot the supercharger tends to shut down. He does have the Meth injection cooling for it but doesn't seem to help much...still shuts down when temps are consistently over 90 F and he's driving on the highway.
Also he recently installed the River Raider Snorkel to his rig, and has found out when he does over 70+ mph that the airflow seems to miss the scoop for the snorkel and is causing issues with the supercharger not getting enough air ...or something like that.
I know he has is still trying to work that issue out.
Other then that he's really happy with it. Loves the power.
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #22
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSlinger View Post
First when the summer rolls around and it gets hot the supercharger tends to shut down.
Probably not an issue with the GEN II system. None the less I don't think what he's got going on there is normal. The variances in temp under that hood between summer and winter aren't that great (as far as machines go). Hopefully he gets it taken care of.
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

I personally am not sure which he has Gen 1 or 2. Just sharing what I have heard from him.
IMO I would put the money toward a HEMI swap. Thats what I told him, but he is impulsive and had to have it "yesterday". Either way he is happy with it in general.
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I personally am not sure which he has Gen 1 or 2. Just sharing what I have heard from him.
IMO I would put the money toward a HEMI swap. Thats what I told him, but he is impulsive and had to have it "yesterday". Either way he is happy with it in general.
If he installed it last year it's a GEN I system especially since he's using alcohol injection. That's not done anymore.

I think it's interesting how people say "just to the Hemi". It's $15,000 (maybe $20,000) MORE, not total, MORE than a supercharger. Plus it's only 30 more HP than the supercharger. By the time you factor in the added weight of the larger engine you're probably at a deficit to the super charger anyway.

Either way, thanks for you input...it's all valuable.
Unread 10-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #25
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
I could do that head repair and install the supercharger twice before you got the Hemi in. Oh, and I'll be a few hundred pounds lighter.

Not mention that the Hemi will be starving for air at altitude while the supercharger will somewhat accommodate for the loss by pumping air. That's really only important to the mountain drivers though.
How hard would a headgasket job on a JK hit the wallet in the event that I was unlucky and blow one? I know the dealer charges $3000 (Absurd IMHO), but I'm not sure what a more realistic cost would be.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
RIPPMODS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Ken
We typically wait until the 2000 mile mark before we supercharger anything – but Dealers have installed our systems off the show room floor -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Well I'd do a normal break in period on the engine personally and then get the Gen 2 kit with intercooler.

I wish I could have avoided the black box and spraying the engine with windshield wiper fluid, but it was just too tempting. lol That being said, I like the Gen 2 way of doing things so much I'm seriously considering going this route, even after blowing a head gasket and shelling out 3k. Driving around back at stock HP is just a huge difference and not in a good way. I'd love to get the Burnsville VVT hemi kit, but I'm simply not confident enough in my own skills, not to mention unless the local community college wants to rent me some space, my garage just isn't a viable option for doing it.

I really think their new kit using the Diablo programmer and the custom tune is a good way to go and should eliminate any lights, limp mode, etc. I just wish someone had an Avenger SC who lived near someone with a RIPP Gen 2 to compare the two head to head on an automatic. I say auto, because as I understand it, the converter doesn't lock up at a low enough RPM to get an accurate reading on the dyno, so a head to head, real world show down would be really cool as well as informative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
How hard would a headgasket job on a JK hit the wallet in the event that I was unlucky and blow one? I know the dealer charges $3000 (Absurd IMHO), but I'm not sure what a more realistic cost would be.
It’s a 5 hour job – 3000 IS WAY to much

Head gaskets have not been an issue – the only way your going to run into this issue is if you go lean – our GEN1 system, which ran a piggy back set up with supplemental injectors has been very stabile. What Sahara Black experienced is not the norm – we found out that RIPP clients running GEN1 combined with AEV hood had an issue – The issue was water – The AEV’s venting system is located directly above the supplemental injectors – water would pour directly onto them – is some cases causing a short at the injectors – The system would trigger but the injector would not fire, clients would run their kits and feel the rig pulling back, but lay further into it – the little 3.8 can only take that so long until its finally time –

A thing to keep in mind is there are many 2008 JK owners with stock vehicles having head gasket issues as well – apparently there was a torque issue during assembly of the heads to the block during manufacturing. Although Jeep did not acknowledge it there are long threads about in on other forums -

Quote:
Probably not an issue with the GEN II system. None the less I don't think what he's got going on there is normal. The variances in temp under that hood between summer and winter aren't that great (as far as machines go). Hopefully he gets it taken care of.
That’s correct…

Quote:
A friend of mine installed one of these last year...He loves it!
Only a few things....
First when the summer rolls around and it gets hot the supercharger tends to shut down. He does have the Meth injection cooling for it but doesn't seem to help much...still shuts down when temps are consistently over 90 F and he's driving on the highway.
Also he recently installed the River Raider Snorkel to his rig, and has found out when he does over 70+ mph that the airflow seems to miss the scoop for the snorkel and is causing issues with the supercharger not getting enough air ...or something like that.
I know he has is still trying to work that issue out.
Other then that he's really happy with it. Loves the power.

The GEN2 Systems are completely revamped – we’ve literally redesigned the entire package to better fit the needs and expectations of the end user – the chances of having any issues have been greatly reduced because the ECU is being re-flashed for boost and the injectors and MAP sensor are in the OEM spots… There are no cut wires to poses any short term or long term threats’

Quote:
If he installed it last year it's a GEN I system especially since he's using alcohol injection. That's not done anymore.

I think it's interesting how people say "just to the Hemi". It's $15,000 (maybe $20,000) MORE, not total, MORE than a supercharger. Plus it's only 30 more HP than the supercharger. By the time you factor in the added weight of the larger engine you're probably at a deficit to the super charger anyway.

Either way, thanks for you input...it's all valuable.
Respectfully – the 5.7 swap has a few pros and cons of its own – First and foremost the power – We deliver 90% of the HP the 5.7 would see – 5.7 deliver 40lbs of torque earlier in the power band NAD 50 more RWHP – but that’s the nature of the beast- It has to be worth $10000 more to you to have the V8 – in our opinion (bias as it may be) 6 hours for 100hp and 90lb of torque for -/+ 4500.00 makes sense… especially the GEN2 kit… Adding the headers only makes it better.

Here is a video of a stock 5.7 making 285 RWHP and 301 RWTQ -
Keep in mind the these aren't running 35-37" tires which represent a 10% loss -
YouTube - Dodge Ram Hemi Dyno
Compare that to our Stg2 kit - which will deliver 265-RWTQ and 230-RWHP
add our headers and your nearly pound for pound with the 5.7 for literally half the price.

Secondly – no one considers the insurance – Having a V8 swapped into your JK poses a liability that the insurance company may not cover – Both in parts and damages that may have resulted in an accident (your fault or not) – We have first hand experience with a client who’s had this issue – he got into an accident and was not covered for the damages – now he’s fighting it.

Lastly – the weight and fuel mileage is devastatingly higher than the supercharger kit – Sound running supercharged JK’s deliver 2-4 more MPG than your currently driving – We can’t guarantee it, but there are many clients that have seen the fuel savings.

Either-way - there are many flavors of ice cream and everyone likes theirs different.

Questions welcome
RIPPTECH
2005-2011 Wrangler Supercharger Kits
Most Powerful 3.8L JK's
OVER 1600 SOLD Worldwide
Our Dealer List
718-815-1313
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #27
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for answering so many questions RIPP. I'v got about a year before I'll be able to do it, but I'm really leaning to the supercharger route.

Are there any other options for the intake rather then an open cone filter or can it be used with a snorkle? How water resistant is the rest of the setup (besides the injectors which have already been covered)? Basically would I have problems fording water?
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #28
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
Thanks for answering so many questions RIPP. I'v got about a year before I'll be able to do it, but I'm really leaning to the supercharger route.

Are there any other options for the intake rather then an open cone filter or can it be used with a snorkle? How water resistant is the rest of the setup (besides the injectors which have already been covered)? Basically would I have problems fording water?
I'm not RIPP but I asked this question already. They will be working on a snorkel kit (adpater). They don't have one for the GEN II kit but they did make one for the GEN I kit. It's going to probably be a custom boot that goes from the SC intake to the engine side of the snorkel. I'm sure, but if we put our heads together we could make something from Home Depot/Lowes parts.
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #29
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Compare that to our Stg2 kit - which will deliver 265-RWTQ and 230-RWHP
add our headers and your nearly pound for pound with the 5.7 for literally half the price.

Questions welcome
RIPPTECH
RIPP, have you ever done the math to figure out how much HP it takes to move the extra weight of the Hemi and subtract that from the HP "gain" from of Hemi?
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #30
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm calling b.s. on the hemi vs. 3.8 (RIPP s.c.) comparison. Most of the arguments for RIPP ate legit, but that is b.s.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.