Ripp Supercharger OR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ripp Supercharger OR

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
fmfa0801
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ripp Supercharger OR

RIPP or Prodigy Performance Turbo Kit????

Ok which would you pick? DO NOT factor the price of each in your choice.
I know RIPP has been proven and there is alot of guys/gals running them BUT I like the turbo idea. I have never ridden in a JK with a SC or turbo but would like to get one to help out my jeep being a daily driver. (37" tires, lift & 5.38 gears were ordered a few days ago 09 JK Rubicon 4dr)

RIPP Supercharger

http://www.rippmods.com/2007_2010_Je...2-sds-stg2.htm

OR

Prodigy Performance Turbo Kit ( They are located about 2-3 hours away from my house which is nice to have)

http://prodigyperformance.com/

Most people say that lag is a issue on a turbo for offroad but if setup right its not really.

Tell me what your pro and cons are

fmfa0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd say the RIPP because turbos tend to need much higher RPM's to get the most out of them where as with the SC you can enjoy the power throughout the whole power ban
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Jodyblip

all turbos lag on initial spool some just less than others but no way to NOT lag. supercharger would lag IF it had to rev up it it works at idle

turbo lag and the threshold of turbo boost are not the same thing before someone blasts me
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Brian_in_MT

I have never ran either of these products and I didn't click on the links but I can tell you that unless you plan on doing a lot of HIGH SPEED driving, ie: Baja 1000 type stuff, the supercharger is the only way to go. IMO it's the only way to go anyway as there are less drawbacks/complications.

There is no such thing as setting up a turbocharger where it doesn't have lag.

The supercharger makes power from tip-in to redline, always.

Of course, if you're adventurous you could always setup a compound boost system
Brian_in_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd run the turbo. Evryone saying that a turbo needs RPM or that they are too laggy has never driven in a vehicle with a properly sized turbo. Diesels have turbo's and they spool from idle on up.

The turbo will be capable of putting more power lower in the RPM then the RIPP. Its based on load, if the Jeep gets loaded down at 1200 rpms (provided the turbo is sized properly) it will spool and give you more power. Since the RIPP is driven off the crank case it will never produce more boost at any given rpm if the load is increased but the RPM's do not increase.

If I ever do Forced induction on my JK it will either be a turbo, or a twin screw super charger.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Brian_in_MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday View Post
I'd run the turbo. Evryone saying that a turbo needs RPM or that they are too laggy has never driven in a vehicle with a properly sized turbo. Diesels have turbo's and they spool from idle on up.

The turbo will be capable of putting more power lower in the RPM then the RIPP. Its based on load, if the Jeep gets loaded down at 1200 rpms (provided the turbo is sized properly) it will spool and give you more power. Since the RIPP is driven off the crank case it will never produce more boost at any given rpm if the load is increased but the RPM's do not increase.

If I ever do Forced induction on my JK it will either be a turbo, or a twin screw super charger.
The diesel is a bad example. You can't compare a diesel engine to a gasoline engine because the diesel engine does not suffer from detonation by way of design. They can naturally handle more boost pressure. The amount of maximum boost in a diesel engine is determined solely by the strength of the bottom end. In a gasoline engine you can't run as much boost because of the detonation factor. Also, a lot of turbo diesel setups run off of the crankshaft at low rpms and then once exhaust pressure has been created a clutch disengages the turbo from the crankshaft and the turbo is free to run off of exhaust gas. That is why you aren't feeling the lag in a diesel setup. You are comparing apples to oranges.

That being said, Maybe I need to back up and think a little. I know that the turbocharger is more efficient as it doesn't rob as much power from the engine to turn itself. (the guys who say a turbo is "free" horsepower are dead wrong, it does rob power but in a different and more efficient way, it is increasing exhaust backpressure, effectively taking a little power right off the top of the pistons instead of stealing it from the crankshaft) and this may make some difference in the small low horsepower engines such as the 3.8, I kinda doubt it though. My big question would be the power/torque curve. All of my experience with turbos has been at the drag strip. I have seen highly successful turbo setups but they were all running high rpm stall converters (4500rpm to 6000rpm stall speeds) or they were dropping the clutch at very high rpms - the really fast manual guys always amazed me. Personally I always favored the supercharger and huge cubic inches with high rpm capability. I have outran some serious juiced turbo setups on a raw supercharged engine. But, I digress. Maybe i'm just ignorantly set in my ways.

I'd have to have my right foot behind the turbo before I was a true believer when it comes to off road applications. The supercharger is making power at idle and I would think the power/torque curve would be more friendly to off road applications, with the exception of mud bogging maybe. A turbo can make more power but does it beat the supercharger in the lower rpms where the off roader operates a majority of the time? If the turbo in question is not making power until mid to high in the rpm range then it's not well suited for the majority of off road use imo. I would also think that at some point underhood heat would become a factor as a lot of off roading is done at very slow speeds. The turbo will definitely add more underhood heat when crawling. Maybe not enough to matter but something to think about.

I would definitely want to see the dyno sheets side by side for these 2 products before I spent thousands of dollars.

Maybe it's too late and i'm tired, or maybe i'm just an idiot

What is the boost limit for a stock 3.8 bottom end? I would guess it can't hold more than maybe 10 pounds with any degree of reliability?!

Do they make a twin screw for the 3.8? If there is a twin screw application for the 3.8 that would definitely be my choice, set up to run just below the limits of the bottom end. Again, maybe i'm just ignorantly set in my ways.

I recently gave up the hot rod game and got back into Jeeps (I did keep a street car that is warmed up a little), however, the gasoline still runs through my blood and I am hoping to see a twin screw supercharger for the 3.6 Hopefully my wife doesn't read this forum as she will kill me if she thinks i'm thinking about tearing apart the new Jeep engine and doing what it takes to run 15-20 or more pounds of boost. To hell with the warranty, I bought my Jeep as a toy and damn that would be fun
Unread 04-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
Brian_in_MT

Hey Doc, I had to check out your build thread. You've got a nice Jeep.

Unread 04-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the RIPP SC Gen 2 (has the intercooler) on m 08 2-dr. It produces power right from idle. However, the engine has a power band that really takes off beginning around 2500 RPM. The SC simply amplifies the power at every RPM.

Installation of the RIPP SC is a DIY job, about 8 hours. I have not driven a turbo JK, so I cannot compare the two.

That being said, I am in love with the RIPP SC. I'm running stock 4.10's and 32's (Rubi), and it has made a night and day difference. Like you, I've also ordered 37's a couple of weeks ago.

The only way to really get the low-end torque is a diesel. This 3.8L engine likes to rev high. Gas mileage has improved about 3-4 mpg (if I keep my foot out of it ).
Yes, I have used my SC'd JK on the rocks, and it performs way better than stock. Just depends on which route you want to go.
Modern turbos have less lag than earlier generations. But, I cannot speak from personal experience as to how a turbo would feel when rock crawling.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone addressed the lifespan of the lower end of the 3.8 from adding this much more power and stress. It wouldn't seem to me that it would be as dependable long term as say a LS conversion. Sorry to stray off the turbo - sc question at hand. Just saying.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
xplosivo1
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_in_MT
Do they make a twin screw for the 3.8?
Yes, Sprintex just released one. There is an install write up on one of the other forums as well as a dyno sheet posted from a prototype install. Roadrace motorsports in California did the install. There is also a post here from Pauldana that addresses the supercharger, but its full of fluff and arguments. The sprintex looks promising, but I'm waiting for more data and of course an ecu crack for the 2011.

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence." -GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
xplosivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

For anyone who truly believes turbos always have lag - test drive a Ford F150 with Ecoboost. 3.5L. Its a V6 with well over 400 lb-ft of torque that is available just below 2000 rpm's.

Granted its twin turbo, but its also an example where 'old school thinking' doesn't apply in today's world. If that engine was available in the JK's, we would be wishing for diesels, and RIPP wouldn't have the market they do. I'm just waiting for someone to make an install kit for an ecoboost in the JK!

-Andy
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Turbo lag is negate by a wonderful thing called VNT.
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
fmfa0801
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments. My JK is a daily driver and I live in SWFL. So most of my off roading is trails, palmettos, sugar sand, mud, DEEP water, gravel roads, swamps/cypress. NO ROCK CRAWLIN lol
fmfa0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

On the subject of bottom ends, pretty sure that Mopar has stated that the original gen 3.8L didn't handle posting too well...
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
xplosivo1
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
On the subject of bottom ends, pretty sure that Mopar has stated that the original gen 3.8L didn't handle posting too well...
Posting? Huh?

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence." -GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
xplosivo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.