RIPP Supercharger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > RIPP Supercharger

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
EdStone
2010 JK Wrangler 

RIPP Supercharger

I have a few questions about the RIPP Superchager. I've been looking through the forums reading what people have to say about it and it seems like a really useful thing to have. But it's also really confusing for a nooby like me

I'm planning on lifting my 2010 sahara 6 speed 3.5" and throwing some 35's on, but I'm not really sure how to go about handling it. Would it make more sense to lift, regear, and put new tires on first and then go to a super charger? or go supercharger first then to the lift. Would it still be necessary to regear? I've read around that more HP is not the answer to the lack of power on bigger tires but I figure I might as well ask anyway. Where would I be able to get the kit installed? I'm by no means capable of handling it. How much would installation cost? Are there any other mods I have to make before installing it? Could a stock clutch handle the new horses? I think my biggest question is is it really worth it? I hate having to deal with constantly running up the RPMs getting on the parkway or on a busy road and I feel like this would be a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Last edited by EdStone; 01-18-2012 at 03:49 PM..
EdStone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Doing a lift, shocks, gears, wheels, tires and the other little things needed to do to run 35's inch tires can be a chunk of cash. Any where from 5K on the low end to over 10K on the high end.

If your plan is 35 inch tires, you can do that in stages. You can do the lift first, then add the tires and then regear.

If you do the tires and don't regear, 6th gear becomes worthless but its still doable.

You can add the supercharger at any point, but it should be noted that the supercharger will not replace the regearing when you add larger tires.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
EdStone
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the help!
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Call a 4X4 shop for the costs. Lift it and run 35's and see if you want 100 more HP or 30 more HP from gears.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

I say do the SC now and that way you can enjoy driving the JK while your doing everything else to it. Leave the regear till the end.

As far as getting setup with one, we could REALLY help you out there. As for the installation, you have a few options. I know you said you didnt want to do it but it really is not a hard install. That, or you are pretty close to RIPP. We could get you setup and see if they could do the install for you. I also see you are in Brick NJ, we have a guy up there that should be reciving his RIPP soon and I am sure he would be more than happy to help you get it installed. Anyways, let me know if you want to go that route and we can get it all taken care of for you. Feel free to PM, email, or call at anytime!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have to agree with Krawl here. When I was in to hot rods(still am, though not as much) the same comes up somewhat. "I want a fast car what should I do, paint, wheels etc...answer do the motor first. Most people put so much into the other stuff by the time they get to the motor they 1 run out of money 2 lose interest and in the end sell it before they ever reached thier goal.

Ed, what is your "goal". more power or looks? If its all about power I hate to tell you but a Jeep makes a poor hot rod. Once you up the HP every weak link will be found to the ground. SC if in the wrong hands or should say foot, will find these links real fast. 35's and burn outs will leave a ton of parts all over the street in no time. I have seen 175hp dumps split a transfer box in two, break driveshafts and axles. worst yet I know of few that died do to too much power in the hands of to little experience. Lost a friend to this when I was your age.

The total cost of your listed mods is alot of $$(pluss labor) at 18 you have this budgeted out or is this just wishing at the stream?
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

The total cost of your listed mods is alot of $$(pluss labor) at 18 you have this budgeted out or is this just wishing at the stream?

As some one that just had a 4inch long arm lift, shocks, gears, 37inch tires, and rims installed. I can tell you that total coast for everything that you are looking at is going to be in the 15K ball park

Lift 3,000
Regearing 1,500
Tires and wheels 3,000
Beef up the front axle 500
Super Charger 6,500

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
EdStone
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm not looking for the sc for power as much as I am performance. Whenever I get onto the parkway or anywhere it's foot to the floor not going anywhere and it makes life difficult. I think that my goal is to have a more efficient vehicle and to be able to enhance the looks to a degree without taking it overboard. I have it budgeted to an extent. As of right now I have around 4500 on hand but I'm not planning on having any of this stuff done until late July after a summer of work. Realistically I'd like to spend somewhere in the ballpark of 10 grand total give or take some
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
As some one that just had a 4inch long arm lift, shocks, gears, 37inch tires, and rims installed. I can tell you that total coast for everything that you are looking at is going to be in the 15K ball park

Lift 3,000
Regearing 1,500
Tires and wheels 3,000
Beef up the front axle 500
Super Charger 6,500
I would def check with Jason.

My RK lift and 37" tires w/wheels were cheaper and the quotes on the RIPP SC was way cheaper.

Depending on how you beef up the axle, 500 won't make a dent in the cost. I spent over 2k on my front axle and that hasn't included new axle shafts.

Gearing cost money no ways around it.

Good luck.
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdStone View Post
I'm not looking for the sc for power as much as I am performance. Whenever I get onto the parkway or anywhere it's foot to the floor not going anywhere and it makes life difficult. I think that my goal is to have a more efficient vehicle and to be able to enhance the looks to a degree without taking it overboard. I have it budgeted to an extent. As of right now I have around 4500 on hand but I'm not planning on having any of this stuff done until late July after a summer of work. Realistically I'd like to spend somewhere in the ballpark of 10 grand total give or take some
Here's the deal your stock JK is too slow for you now - Guess what, when you install all the stuff you want - its going to be way slower... so either way you slice it your looking for a more usable Jeep...

Many guys who have RIPP kits are amazed that even during daily driving you'll use 1 or 2 pounds of boost just to move around town and keep up to traffic.... this proves that even at its most basic form the blower "pulls its weight"

RIPPTECH
www.rippmods.com
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I did the RIPP Gen 2 SC first. Otherwise, my 08 2-dr auto JK is still basically stock. I needed the power for towing a trailer and like you, being able to merge with highway traffic. The extra power is useful everyday, not just on the occasional trail ride. And it is not a difficult install. I know a Supercharger sounds like something only top-fuel dragster mechanics could install, but RIPP makes it a complete bolt-in system using basic tools found in your garage. Install time about 8 hours.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.