RIPP Stage II or Pentastar upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > RIPP Stage II or Pentastar upgrade

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
JEEP222
2007 JK Wrangler 

RIPP Stage II or Pentastar upgrade

I have a (PAIDOFF) 2007 JKU sahara auto 4.10 with 85,000 miles and in new condition inside and out. The use of the jeep is DD, desert trailing, sand dunes along the beach with hard packed sand trails and of course rock trails (no huge boulders that requires 37's).

So what would a better move install a RIPP Stage II for around 5k or sell my jku & upgrade towards a used '12 '13 JKU Rubicon or Sahara $10-$15K additional with no Ripp system?

JEEP222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Another option would be to drop a hemi in it for that much $$

Why the upgrade in the first place? It sounds like you have a pretty nice rig ...

The ideal route could be to get a Pentastar Rubi and get the supercharger later
dis_dis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

New pentastar

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
MigueloP

RIPP, new penstar is not a HUGE improvement over the 3.8...
MigueloP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

It is paid off... If you want more power I would say regear (if you haven't already) or SC it. 5K is also a lot of mod money too. Unless you want a new Jeep then I say go for it.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have basically a stock Jeep. I'd be concerned about all that torque on a stock D30. What do you want to do with your jeep that requires a super charger? Be honest, do you want to just be able to smoke the tires and jump off the line at red lights, fly through sand dunes? Knowing what you really want to do will allow us to give better answers.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueloP View Post
RIPP, new penstar is not a HUGE improvement over the 3.8...
Agreed, I just test drove a 2013 4door Rubicon with 4.10s 6 speed on Tuesday night, the salesmen was shocked when I said it wasn't that big of a improvement. And would be even less after I throw some 35s on it.

I found you had to rev the engine pretty high to get it to start to go and during normal driving the benefits wouldn't be worth the extra cost.

After he says "but it also has a 30% improvement in fuel economy" he was confused when i said i dont really care about fuel economy LOL.

if I want more power I am going to re gear, maybe throw some headers on or even a super charger.

For now even with 35s I have plenty of power with my current setup on the road and on the trail.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
Agreed, I just test drove a 2013 4door Rubicon with 4.10s 6 speed on Tuesday night, the salesmen was shocked when I said it wasn't that big of a improvement. And would be even less after I throw some 35s on it.

I found you had to rev the engine pretty high to get it to start to go and during normal driving the benefits wouldn't be worth the extra cost.

After he says "but it also has a 30% improvement in fuel economy" he was confused when i said i dont really care about fuel economy LOL.

if I want more power I am going to re gear, maybe throw some headers on or even a super charger.

For now even with 35s I have plenty of power with my current setup on the road and on the trail.
???????????? really

Tj 0-60 13sec 1/4 mile 19.5

07-011Jk 10.2-----------18

012+jk 6.9 15.3

You must not have drove a 3.6. The new auto is the better trans now as well. eats the stick in torque and shifting is tap. In the Rubi its like adding a rubicrawler to a 011 on down.

I put 35"s on a 012 rubi 2d stock gears on it are 4:10 that is an option as the new auto really don't need the 4:10 on 32"s. But I call still light the 35"s if needed, with a auto, not even floored............

Matter of fact looking at the spec the 012+ is the fastest Jeep ever made, by far.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
???????????? really

Tj 0-60 13sec 1/4 mile 19.5

07-011Jk 10.2-----------18

012+jk 6.9 15.3

You must not have drove a 3.6. The new auto is the better trans now as well. eats the stick in torque and shifting is tap. In the Rubi its like adding a rubicrawler to a 011 on down.
I know for sure I drove a 3.6, I didn't say it wasn't faster,

I just said it wasnt worth trading mine in and swapping all my parts over, I hardly shift above 3k normally and its not until around then where I really started to notice the 3.6 start to pull hard.

its a nice motor but for me its just not worth the extra cost.

my jeep is paid off in 2 years then ill just buy a truck (hopefully power wagon) and tow my jeep around hehe.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

How is your vehicle running and has rust taken hold should be more important questions to answer. If the answer is good and nope then definately do not trade it in for a black box of somebody else's problems for some marginal WOT 0-60 improvements.

Side note: Hey Noxian! I miss my lobster here in HK so I hope your're hitting extra trails for me back home!
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had also considered selling my 2008 and upgrading in 2012 for the pentastar but knew I couldnt get what I put in it and I didnt want a car payment. I cant comment on the pentastar engine as I havent driven a jeep with one. I have a 2008 JKU, manual, 5:13 gears, RIPP stage II SC, 37's. I can say that I have raced a 2012 with auto trans, 4:88 gears, 35's, and although he beat me off line, by 4th gear I had caught him. The positives about RIPP, easy to install and maintain, and at $5000, a bargain compared to a Hemi or LS1 conversion. The only negative if you want to call it that is the slight surge that exists using cruise control. Custom tuning thru RIPP or RPM extreme will help. I am very happy with RIPP SC.
May come down to how long you think you will keep jeep.
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
JEEP222
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes shooting off the stop light and smoking my stocks and later my 37's is good reasons which both are a plus, but the consistent power so my loaded jk (with camp gear going up the mountain) doesn't have to be redline to stay up with a hybrid. Shooting in and out sand bowls is really fun too.

Yesterday stopped by the stealership and saw a Rubicon 10A they had in stock and after looking at the $44k price tag made me realized the Ripp system will be the best move for me. Attached is my Green Jeep Metallic JKU prob would have more fun with a SC than a stock Pentastar.

Thanks!
el3.jpg

el4.jpg

JEEP222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
JeepBobWinnipeg
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had an '07 and traded up to the '12.

I did it for the engine and color. (crush)

I had 5:13s and 35s on my '07 and now have 4:88s on my '12

I LOVE the new engine, and mated to the 5speed auto, yes, I think it was definitely worth the effort to cut and paste all the mods from my old rig to the Pentastar.

BTW, I have been side by side with a couple buddies who have 3.8s and on take off I leap ahead real fast. No contest. Yes, the 3.6 does produce more of its power in a higher rpm, but if you want it... It's there.

Way more giddy up. I pondered the decision long and hard. My wife convinced me to do it, and I am so glad I did.
img_0256-copy.jpg

JeepBobWinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Can't beat no car payment, drive it until it dies and by then the Wrangler may have a diesel option.
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
I know for sure I drove a 3.6, I didn't say it wasn't faster,

I just said it wasnt worth trading mine in and swapping all my parts over, I hardly shift above 3k normally and its not until around then where I really started to notice the 3.6 start to pull hard.

its a nice motor but for me its just not worth the extra cost.

my jeep is paid off in 2 years then ill just buy a truck (hopefully power wagon) and tow my jeep around hehe.
It literally takes a few thousand miles for the engine to wake up and become more responsive. My '12 has 14,000 miles on it and it feels faster than the Jeep I took home from the dealer, and it now has 35s. Somewhere around 4k-5k mi. it felt like it found another 50hp/50tq. A test drive of a new vehicle isn't going to feel the same as a broken-in one.

Just my 2 cents.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.