RIPP SC field repairs: Serpentine belt - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > RIPP SC field repairs: Serpentine belt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not sure why I go through so many. I do some driving in the mud but nothing crazy. And I make sure to clean out the engine compartment. I have 30k and I've been through 4. 2 when I lived in the high desert southern California. I just make sure to always have a spare.

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
I know I should avoid it, I regret it pretty much every time I get in it...sometimes my inner redneck needs to be satisfied, what can I say?
You have rednecks in MA? I thought some of ours escaped GA.

neverhide34...looks like debris from the mud and sand may be the culprit. That sucks because mud is so much fun to play in. But I avoid it nowadays, not as limber as I used to be, and don't like crawling underneath to clean it off.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
You have rednecks in MA? I thought some of ours escaped GA.
I'm a Carolina boy, moved up here 2 years ago....but hell yes there are rednecks up here....a slightly different breed....definitely still redneck though.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Just finished installing the SC and took it for a spin.

One word, daaaayum!

Hitting the shower and then going for a drive.....

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBasturd View Post
Just finished installing the SC and took it for a spin.

One word, daaaayum!
I couldn't have said it better myself. Although, I recall saying a certain 4-letter word that starts with "S" and having the deer-in-the-headlights look on my face.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #21
mello

For those of you who are throwing belts, check belt alignment at super charger pulley. I did not throw but squeaked on cold startup had to shim it. As far as replacing belt you do not have to take Supercharger off. Just unbolt charger from mounting bracket, disconnect cooling fan connector, slide charger back, and you can slip belt between power steering pulley and charger. It is a ten minute job.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Mello - Can you elaborate on the shim? I have the same issue with squeaking. Thanks.

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBasturd
Mello - Can you elaborate on the shim? I have the same issue with squeaking. Thanks.

Will be hard to explain in text but here we go. Standing on the passenger side looking over the fender at the belt. My belt was coming off ps pump straight, going under charger roller straight, then being pulled back to firewall onto charger pulley. As the belt went over pulley and under roller on other side of charger it was riding straight. The charger is bolted to bracket with bolts at top that have spacers and studs at bottom which are the rollers that double as spacers. I took two 5/16 washers and cut about 40% of there circumference out. I then unbolted charger from bracket not from block. I slid a washer between top spacer that uses bolt on passenger side and bracket that bolts to block. I slipped other washer between roller spacer on passenger side and the bracket that bolts to block. Tightened everything back up and now belt rides perfectly straight and does not squeak.
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Will be hard to explain...
Perfect - I know exactly what you are saying. Thanks!
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Took the big plunge today and ordered the Gen2 kit for my 08. Ripp gave me a great deal pre-Moab...look fwd to getting it and install prior to Moab EJS this year. Price includes the Diablo programmer with info to set up the ECM. Keep you posted. To keep on thread, I spoke at length to the technical rep and we walked through the procedure for a belt replacement. Seemed in accordance with mello above...not a big deal as I see it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #26
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

A couple of tips for your install that might make it easier:

1 - Test fit your grill before tightening down all the hose clamps for the intercooler and its piping.

2 - I installed mine without removing the EGR tube (as others have stated) - just be gentle when removing/installing upper intake plenum.

3 - You have to cut out part of the battery tray where the OEM air box sat or your power steering lines will pinch/rub once you jam the #1 tube for the intercooler in place. The instructions don't tell you this, but I managed to figure out that's what I was going to have to do and also found a set of instructions from a earlier generation ripp install that does include this step.

4 - Screws for MAP sensor - replace with a hex head version of the same size. Much easier to use a small box end wrench to put the new sensor in.

5 - Invest in a 10mm socket with the built in swivel for the #8 bolt on the intake plenum. Sears has them.

6 - The instructions recommend that you mount the plenum that the air filter attaches to, to the SC before you mount the SC to the engine although it is not required at that particular point. Normally you wouldn't do it until later in the instructions at step 11.

I waited until step 11 and it is a major pain, if not impossible to get on my 2010 without trimming the plastic radiator fan support brackets and unbolting but not removing the fan connector and temperature sensor that is located on the passenger side of the radiator. I think having done it this way, might give me a little more room to slide the SC forward and install a new belt in the future per Mello's instructions above.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Took the big plunge today and ordered the Gen2 kit for my 08. Ripp gave me a great deal pre-Moab...look fwd to getting it and install prior to Moab EJS this year. Price includes the Diablo programmer with info to set up the ECM. Keep you posted. To keep on thread, I spoke at length to the technical rep and we walked through the procedure for a belt replacement. Seemed in accordance with mello above...not a big deal as I see it.
You are going to be very happy with the performance increase.
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails

You are going to be very happy with the performance increase.
What set up do u have gears, tire size, and trans. I have 35's , auto, and stock 4:10 gears. The power is good don't get me wrong i love it but not amazing like everyone says. I did just order 5:13's last week and I expect that will put me in the amazing category.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
What set up do u have gears, tire size, and trans. I have 35's , auto, and stock 4:10 gears. The power is good don't get me wrong i love it but not amazing like everyone says. I did just order 5:13's last week and I expect that will put me in the amazing category.
I have 37's, auto and 5.38 gears. The regear will help a lot. I ran the 37's on 4.10's for a while before regearing to 5.38's. Now I can literally smoke those 37's (wouldn't recommend it though, until you get chromoly axle shafts...just ask ArticRubi about his experience, LOL).
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #30
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
I have 37's, auto and 5.38 gears. The regear will help a lot. I ran the 37's on 4.10's for a while before regearing to 5.38's. Now I can literally smoke those 37's (wouldn't recommend it though, until you get chromoly axle shafts...just ask ArticRubi about his experience, LOL).
35's, 5.13's and auto here. I've unintentionally chirped the tires a time or two or three...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.