RIPP GEN II Stage II on the Colorado Mountain Passes and Off-Road. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > RIPP GEN II Stage II on the Colorado Mountain Passes and Off-Road.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

RIPP GEN II Stage II on the Colorado Mountain Passes and Off-Road.

Here is the video of the RIPP GEN II Stage II kit on the mountain passes of Colorado. Being able to conquer the mountain passes was the reason I bought the kit and it took care of them no problem. Enjoy the vid!

YouTube - RIPP GEN II Stage II Supercharged Jeep JK Unlimited in the mountains of Colorado.

Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The engine light and traction control light are on the entire time.
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

ya he pointed that out during the video, I guess its running too rich and ripp is working on a fix?

looks like its a blast to drive now, I sure wish they had put a even half decent engine in these jeeps.....
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Incorrect. The engine light is only on on the way home. It is running a little rich probably because I am at altitude. I am the first guy running the RIPP 2.0 tune at altitude. It will be fixed this week. I'll keep you posted.

The ESP light has nothing to do with RIPP. I turned it of permanently.

'07-Present Wrangler's Control System - ESP Off - Jp Magazine
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Ben_88Jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

"what the hell? a jeep!" Next time stop and help a fellow Jeeper out! haha! The SC sounds sweet. Looks like a huge improvement.
Ben_88Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
The traction light is the OP traction override - the CEL has been forwarded to our Calibrator and will likely be part of the tune update... Our Calibrator believes it to be a false codes triggered by the rear bank O2's - it does not effect the performance.

RIPPTECH
www.rippmods.com
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Someone want to explain to me how a supercharger increases gas mileage and horsepower?

I've only help put superchargers on muscle cars and those just dump extra gas into the cylinders so what's the deal with this?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Superchargers dump more AIR into the cylinders, not fuel. The OP has a very specific problem int hat he is driving regularly at 8k+ feet of elevation. The not-so-stout Jeep engine is starving for enough oxygen to make horsepower. The supercharger takes care of that.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Someone want to explain to me how a supercharger increases gas mileage and horsepower?

I've only help put superchargers on muscle cars and those just dump extra gas into the cylinders so what's the deal with this?
The Roots type blower will never increase efficiency. However, the centrifugal type kit (RIPP) will because it is less of a parasitic load on the engine. It works by increasing the thermal (how much energy is produced per explosion) and volumetric efficiency (how much of the cylinder fills up) of the engine.

A well engineered engine fills up 80-90% of the combustion chamber at BDC. If you force some air in there you're getting 10% more air and when the mixture is compressed and explodes it explodes with a greater thermal efficiency.

Once it's supercharged the engine does not need to be run as hard to achieve the same results so drivers tend to back off the throttle.

One more advantage of supercharging is running lower RPM's which isn't really related to fuel efficiency but it does reduce wear on cylinders and pistons and the inertial forces on the pistons and rod assemblies.
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
saceone

cool vid, thanks for posting!

beautiful scenary btw
saceone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Superchargers dump more AIR into the cylinders, not fuel. The OP has a very specific problem int hat he is driving regularly at 8k+ feet of elevation. The not-so-stout Jeep engine is starving for enough oxygen to make horsepower. The supercharger takes care of that.
I know that superchargers put more air in. But they generally work at much higher RPMs than fuel efficiency so they result in more gas being used as well.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
I know that superchargers put more air in. But they generally work at much higher RPMs than fuel efficiency so they result in more gas being used as well.
They result in more fuel being used because to keep the air fuel ratio correct you have to put in more fuel with more air. The RPM range is different for centrifugal blowers and Roots type blowers.
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

RIPP GEN II Stage II off-road.

Here is the kit off-road. It did well off-road but, like I've always said, it doesn't really need any more power off-road. The Roots blower guys always say that the RIPP kit doesn't provide power where the Jeep needs but, as I reaffirmed today, it doesn't need anymore power-off-road with the 4:1 t-case. The RIPP blower kicked in a few times but it always did fine before. Take a look.

YouTube - Supercharged Jeep Offroad
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I think your camera man needs a supercharger to help fill his normally aspirated lungs. Man, that guy was breathing heavy.

Your Jeep does not squeak like mine.

I still wish the powerband was at a lower rpm, which is why I have trouble justifying this purchase.
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm guessing the cameraman was riding with the driver so he was sprinting up the hill to record the passes.

@OP, thanks for the vid. I know this is something on my wish list that's too far out to even see at this point, but I always like to day dream and collect info.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.