Rims : driving me nuts - you all look awesome - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rims : driving me nuts - you all look awesome

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Butterbuddha
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
The Vipers were available in 15" 5x5. One of the guys in our Jeep club has them in 15x8 on his JK.
Oh yeah thats it--at the time I was convinced I needed 10" wide wheels. (Goodyear's spec on MTRs is to not put them on anything narrower than 8.5" wheels. Little did I know, EVERYONE puts them on 8" wheels without problem.)

You can't get Vipers in a 15 X 10. Or atleast you couldnt a couple years ago.

Unread 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
aldaman
2012 JK Wrangler 

I chose black to blend in with the JK and its basically maintenance free. These are Level 8 Trackers in 16x8.5" with 4.5" backspacing wrapped in 33" Boggers..

Unread 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

My daughter has 35" Pitbull Rockers on the Level 8 Trackers. Nice wheels. MB72 are also similar.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

ProComp 7089 on the black unlimited and ProComp 7069 on the Jeep green 2dr.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
Green08

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaman View Post
I chose black to blend in with the JK and its basically maintenance free. These are Level 8 Trackers in 16x8.5" with 4.5" backspacing wrapped in 33" Boggers..

Every now and again I see a pic of a Jeep that makes me love the Unlimited....and this is one of those times, man that is beautiful....
Green08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #21
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Fill out your profile when you get a chance, we use that information to help answer your questions.

35" tires really balance out a jku (4 door) nicely and will give you some extra ground clearance. 33's look good on a jk (2door) but many people move up to 35's pretty quick on those as well.

Your drivetrain will impacted by the size of your wheels as to its performance and fuel economy. The automatics are a bad match for the 3.8 motor from the factory and performance degrades quickly with larger tires if the gears in the axles are not changed to compensate for them. Gear swaps are not cheap or easy to do yourself and are better left to someone that knows what they are doing. Expect to pay $1200-$2500 for a complete gear change depending on your location.

Bigger tires will require either a wheel spacer to move the wheel out or a new wheel with a lower back spacing. A wheel back space of 4.5" is good for up to a 35"x12" tire.
15" tires are cheapest to run but you will find very limited sizes in them and some of the 15" wheels will rub on the brake calipers so do your research before buying. I would really go with at least a 16" wheel and 17" will give you the greatest amount of options in size and variety.

With a tire size change your speedo and odometer will be off unless it is reprogramed from either a dealer or by using an aftermarket programer like the procal or super chips. These will run in the $150-$600 range depending on the model.

You can fit 35" tires without adding any lift to your jeep by trimming the factory flare or running an aftermarket flat fender flare with the proper back spaced wheels.
Most people will just run a 2"-2.5" lift to fit the 35's any more then that will tend to knock your steering geometry out of whack and will require more expensive components to correct.

If you are ever down in the Champaign area feel free to contact me or come by, I am always glad to help those with jeep questions or mods. I also visit Badlands in Attica, IN about twice a month during the year if you want to wheel. You can also find me at jkfreaks.com with the same handle.
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #22
aldaman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green08 View Post
Every now and again I see a pic of a Jeep that makes me love the Unlimited....and this is one of those times, man that is beautiful....
Thanks....Once Jeep came out with a 4 door, I had to get me one...Hehehe, this is my second JK. The first one I had was a 2008 JKU-x

It had 16x8 (4" BS) 8069 ProComp wheels with 315/75/16 GoodYear MT/R Kevlars...
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFrider66 View Post
Check out rugged ridge I really like there 17x9 rims and probably what I'm going to get
Im more than happy with my RR wheels.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
tahoetuna
2011 JK Wrangler 

Feeling the mudlove in here! Thanks everyone!!

Where to begin ... After a day of image surfing - I think (it changes with the wind and my appetite) I am leaning towards the ATX Artillerys with some NItto Grapplers 33s .. YAY ? NAY ?

@MudDuck99 / @LFrider66 -- The RR wheels are def. on my short list. Even know I dont fully get the reason. hubcentric seems wise, but not very plausible only a few of the rims have it.

@aldaman -- I have a running joke with a friend the the 4drs arent jeeps. Ill admit, there are some that turn my head. But there is something about the 2dr. Plus I dont like to be the chauffeur!!!

@thedirtman - profile filled out -- thanks for the detailed post
Quote:
The automatics are a bad match for the 3.8 motor from the factory and performance degrades quickly with larger tires if the gears in the axles are not changed to compensate for them
Is this something to be concerned about from the motor level, or gear/axle level? And how concerned, if its primarily a DD?

@JTPhoto both those jeeps are insane!

@FreeLantz - those are looking nice. What tires are on there? Look like Grapplers or Duratrac? Similar to what I am going for all around. Any lift?

@Butterbuddha -- coming from an RC background, I can dig it. Man those tires ride wide .. or is it also with the different fender flares that they look like they are so far offset? ITS AWESOME!

PS. Pardon my potential lack of info
tahoetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

You will address the poor performance from the automatic from the axle end which involves changing the gears in them. You will not do any damage to the drivetrain by running bigger tires but you will have trouble holding highway speeds without the auto constantly shifting gears. Proper gearing to take advantage of the power curve of the 3.8 motor along with a programer will give you a big performance boost both off road and on.
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've got the 17" blackrock Vipers and love them.
Personally I think that 15" wheels make the tires look too ballooney, I like 16's or 17's. !8's are getting into Mall Crawler territory.
I have read that you might run into caliper contact issues with 15's so do your homework....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
Butterbuddha
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetuna View Post

@Butterbuddha -- coming from an RC background, I can dig it. Man those tires ride wide .. or is it also with the different fender flares that they look like they are so far offset? ITS AWESOME!

Probably a combo of 10" wide rims, super short ACE fenders, and the 1.5" wheel spacers. Them puppies will sling some mud too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I've got the 17" blackrock Vipers and love them.
Personally I think that 15" wheels make the tires look too ballooney, I like 16's or 17's. !8's are getting into Mall Crawler territory.
I have read that you might run into caliper contact issues with 15's so do your homework....
Wait, you think my wheels look ballooney?
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetuna View Post
@FreeLantz - those are looking nice. What tires are on there? Look like Grapplers or Duratrac? Similar to what I am going for all around. Any lift?
The tires are BFG Mud Terrains, 285/70/17 (essentially a 33" tire). No lift yet. Planning a 2.5" this year sometime.

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
FreeLantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
ProComp makes a good selection of alloy wheels at an affordable price. They quite regularly have specials as well.
So many wheels to choose from, it's a tough decision. All black, black with a bit of silver, or all silver will be your first decision. I have run PProComp 7089 and BlackRock Vipers and had no issues with either.

I went with 16x8 ProComps and 33" Duratracs.
100_0901.jpg  
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

BlackRock 17x8 Vipers in black with 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.