Rims : driving me nuts - you all look awesome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rims : driving me nuts - you all look awesome

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
tahoetuna
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rims : driving me nuts - you all look awesome

First time post -

After many years of wanting a Wrangler - listening to my pops that 'Jeeps drive like crap, and someome will steal your radio' -- I went against him and bought a 2011 Black Wrangler Sport ... I love it .. and I think he does too!

Anyway -- Every day I see other amazing Jeeps, and the one thing that I love about them are the rims. My Jeep is pretty much stock ... and I am trying to get my bearings on how to look for rims

Basically, I want to a little extra height, probably black rims. Something that looks a little more rugged and adds some personality to em

I've read about spacers(??) to push the wheels out a little and a lift kit ... but I don't really know where to start to find my ideal rim/tire combo.

Any suggestions on where to start looking? Whats a good rim/tire size that doesnt make the thing look too much like a remote control car? Anything to be wary about with spacers and lift kits? Different maintenance?

I really dig the look of this COD viersion:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/12/d...ack-ops-editi/

tahoetuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

First, welcome to our forum.
Lots of good info here and I would start with the FAQ section.
Try searching for wheels and you will overwhelmed with info..
Oh, and fill out your profile so we know what you are starting with.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
LFrider66
2012 JK Wrangler 

Check out rugged ridge I really like there 17x9 rims and probably what I'm going to get
LFrider66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
BlackedOut13Jk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check out Fuel Hostage wheels or any of the Fuel brand Wheels. They're what I'll be purchasing soon.
BlackedOut13Jk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine came from Discount Tire. Level 8 Strike 5's.

I originally wanted the COD wheels too, but they were going for way too much in my neck of the woods. The ones I ended up with were only $130 each. I wheel this Jeep every weekend, so I didn't want to tie up too much cash in wheels that will get some trail rash eventually anyway. But everyone seems to think they look good, and I like them so that's what matters.
img_3140-medium-.jpg  
facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
FreeLantz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Texas Jeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Mine came from Discount Tire. Level 8 Strike 5's.

I originally wanted the COD wheels too, but they were going for way too much in my neck of the woods. The ones I ended up with were only $130 each. I wheel this Jeep every weekend, so I didn't want to tie up too much cash in wheels that will get some trail rash eventually anyway. But everyone seems to think they look good, and I like them so that's what matters.
where do you wheel at?
3.5 RK lift with 35 inch Duratrac's
1985 CJ7

Texas Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jeep View Post
where do you wheel at?
Normally at Sugar Hill, 12000 Bissonnett in SW Houston. It's a former golf course, lots of hills on about 140 acres.
www.facebook.com/sugarhill.orp
facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
FreeLantz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Texas Jeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Normally at Sugar Hill, 12000 Bissonnett in SW Houston. It's a former golf course, lots of hills on about 140 acres.
www.facebook.com/sugarhill.orp
Thanks, Maybe I'll see you out there.
OP sorry about the thread jack.
3.5 RK lift with 35 inch Duratrac's
1985 CJ7

Texas Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

If you stick with your current wheel size, you won't need any spacers. HOWEVER, if you downsize to 15" wheels, you will save around $100 per tire! (Yeah, that makes no sense) Your options may be somewhat limited though, not all 15" wheels will fit. If you do get wheel spacers, you can run virtually any 15" wheels. Get Spidertrax, they have been tested and found to be metalurgically superior to the other cheaper choices out there. IMO thats not a place you want to skimp, and besides they are a lifetime purchase anyways to get the best you can.

I totally have a radio control look but I loves it. LOL Running 1.5" Spidertrax, 15" Black Rock 909s w/ titanium, and Goodyear MTRs.

Back with stock fenders:

ACE flat fenders:

The Black Rocks. I love em with the black but not all black, and never seen another set--EVER!
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
bill9274
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha
If you stick with your current wheel size, you won't need any spacers. HOWEVER, if you downsize to 15" wheels, you will save around $100 per tire! (Yeah, that makes no sense) Your options may be somewhat limited though, not all 15" wheels will fit. If you do get wheel spacers, you can run virtually any 15" wheels. Get Spidertrax, they have been tested and found to be metalurgically superior to the other cheaper choices out there. IMO thats not a place you want to skimp, and besides they are a lifetime purchase anyways to get the best you can.

I totally have a radio control look but I loves it. LOL Running 1.5" Spidertrax, 15" Black Rock 909s w/ titanium, and Goodyear MTRs.

Back with stock fenders:

ACE flat fenders:

The Black Rocks. I love em with the black but not all black, and never seen another set--EVER!
i like your wheels were the spacers to make the wheels fit or just for sticking the wheels out more. do you have 8" or 10" wheels.

Bill
bill9274 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9274 View Post
i like your wheels were the spacers to make the wheels fit or just for sticking the wheels out more. do you have 8" or 10" wheels.

Bill
Sorry I should have mentioned that. Those are 10" wheels, though in retrospect I should have bought the 8s. (They are cheaper, and hold a tighter bead on the tires. As is I won't air down less than 15psi, I could probably go 8 with the 8" wheels) I got my wheels and tires mounted & balanced and on my doorstep from 4wheelparts.com. I bought the spacers just in case, because I know there is no way I can look at a pallet of new shoes and not be able to use them LOL. Those wheels actually DO clear the brake calipers just fine, but I figured WTH I already have them, and I like the wide track stability. Plus, I get inches of traction that others don't!

EDIT: Since you are new to the game, I should have mentioned that there will be some trimming in your future. Even with my 4" lift and the 1.5" wheel spacers, I STILL had to trim/remove the air dam up front, chop the ends off the front bumper. In addition, I had to chop the front 9 inches or so off my Rampage front step bars. None of that was any big deal since the air dam is annoying and I was replacing my front bumper anyways--but something you should keep in mind.
Unread 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

ProComp makes a good selection of alloy wheels at an affordable price. They quite regularly have specials as well.
So many wheels to choose from, it's a tough decision. All black, black with a bit of silver, or all silver will be your first decision. I have run PProComp 7089 and BlackRock Vipers and had no issues with either.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

You can also paint your stock wheels, it can change the look of the whole vehicle.
..().)…..().)---).)…….… 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
ProComp makes a good selection of alloy wheels at an affordable price. They quite regularly have specials as well.
So many wheels to choose from, it's a tough decision. All black, black with a bit of silver, or all silver will be your first decision. I have run PProComp 7089 and BlackRock Vipers and had no issues with either.
I really like the Vipers, but you can't get them in the JK 5X5 bolt pattern and 15" wheel size.
Unread 12-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha

I really like the Vipers, but you can't get them in the JK 5X5 bolt pattern and 15" wheel size.
The Vipers were available in 15" 5x5. One of the guys in our Jeep club has them in 15x8 on his JK.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.