Is this the right way to lift it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is this the right way to lift it?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
JKommuter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is this the right way to lift it?

I had a Teraflex Leveling Lift on my 2009 JK Unlimited X. I took it off last weekend because I started getting a sustained wobble after hitting certain bumps on the way to work. Checked torques, bushings etc... and couldn't fix it so I removed the lift and now it's rock solid on the bump that used to make it wobble every time. I didn't have it aligned, but I suspect it was caster related.

Anyway that's the back story, now the question. How do I lift it correctly? Am I missing anything with the lift listed below?
  1. Teraflex 2.5" kit with Shocks.
  2. JKS Adjustable front Track Bar.
  3. Teraflex Monster Adjustible Lower Control Arms.
(I will use the track bar bracket in the kit for the rear.)

This comes to around $1150 at northridge 4X4...

JKommuter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

For a little more you can do the Rock Krawler 3.5" mid arm flex.
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What you had sounds more like bump steer than DW - usually due to the track bar and drag link not being parallel. Your lift seems complete by most standards, esp with adj CA and track bar for front.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

Only other thing I see not listed that a lot of people including myself have done to help minimize it is a new stabilizer. Other then that sounds like you have good stuff.
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
JKommuter
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSlinger View Post
Only other thing I see not listed that a lot of people including myself have done to help minimize it is a new stabilizer. Other then that sounds like you have good stuff.
Forgot to mention that I already have a Teraflex Steering Stabilizer. (Unfortunate floor jack incident...)
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

ahhh...ok...just thought it was worth a mention if you didnt have it already.
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
JKommuter
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to revive an old thread of mine here for a little bragging, uh, I mean an update.

Anyway I eventually purchased the TF 2.5 Coil kit w/shocks, Teraflex Adj Trackbar, and Teraflex front lower control arms. Did it myself in my garage. It took me 7 hours, but after my leveling lift install and removal I'm pretty familiar with the process.
I think it looks good and I don't hate it with the stock 32's, but I will get some wider 33's after I wear these out. I've put about 100 miles on it since Friday afternoon and it drives great. No wobble, firmer than stock, but not harsh.

Here it is stock

After the TF leveling kit

Now with the TF 2.5" coil lift

I haven't driven it on the road that without fail caused the wobble with the leveling kit yet but I'm betting it will be fine. I betting caster was my problem. I hope I'm right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.