Ride difference between long and short arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ride difference between long and short arms

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
FatBuoy

Ride difference between long and short arms

I'm still having my internal debate. It looks like my cost difference between long arms and regular adjustable will be about $500. I've got a buddy who will help install either, so installation cost on the LAs would be minimal. Who out there has experience driving both setups both on and off road? I understand the more articulation aspect, but is there a huge difference on the pavement in regards to ride quality? I will be going to 37s eventually, but will keep the lift at 4" with different fenders for clearance if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Waiting to be installed: Nuttin!

On order: Nuttin!

Some day: I may grow up, but I seriously doubt it. Oh, and a Hemi!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Physics say the LA will ride smoother.. now whether or not it will be enough to notice in the drivers seat is another question since the JK already has pretty long arms to begin with.. kinda like mid length arms.

The more parallel your control arms are to the ground the less shock, or jarring, is transmitted up into the body but rather dissipated through the vertical movement of the control arms... this of course is not counting the harshness of your shocks.

EDIT: But IMO my LA rides every bit as smooth if not smoother than it did stock and definitely smoother than some other lifted JK's I've ridden in. The only one that is noticeably smoother that I have experienced has been a RE LA.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE

Last edited by HITMONEY; 01-08-2009 at 10:24 AM..
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
themaniam1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ok I feel that I can speak from alot of experience here. The LA will ride much smoother then a SA of 4" or greater. I have had three wranglers with short arms and then upgraged to long arms and the results were the same each time, wow they ride smooth. My wife infact will not have anything but long arm lifts. Our TJs went from bumpy and a little scary on the highway to smooth and no worry driving. We went right from factory to LA with our JK and the same thing, smooth and no worries. They wheel just awesome on the rocks with great travel and articulation. In some situations they will scrape on the rocks but I have yet to every regret getting them. For $500 more I would not even hesitate. They even look good too.

Unread 01-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

On a TJ it makes a big difference. Much less on a Jk. Having experience On a tj is not relevant unless you have done both on a jk? Different animal.
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I hear great things about the Rubicon Express kit. If I were starting over, I think I probably would have went that route. Granted, it's a lot more than my basic black diamond kit.
Unread 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

I went from a TeraFlex 4" short arm to a TeraFlex 6" long arm with my JK and the difference is very noticable. The on road mannerisms of the LA are superior to the SA. The ride is smoother and the vehicle feels more stable than previously. And the body roll even seems to be less than what the 4" springs allowed, not sure if the LA's have anything to do with that or not.

I feel confident traveling down the freeway a 70+ mph with the LA's. The short arms gave me the feeling that I had to hold onto the steering wheel, even though I could let go and it still drove straight. The LA's seem to transfer feedback from the surface to the steering wheel in a far better manner than the SA's did.

One another note, when I first had the swap done it felt so different just going through the gutters in the neighborhood. It's hard to explain but it felt way cooler. After talking with Carl at TeraFlex Plus, he explained that it was probably due to the angle of the LA's vs the SA's. The SA's were at a steep enough of an angle that it was almost jarring as opposed to the LA's.

Amazingly smoother by far is all I can say. I am very pleased that I upgraded and would highly reccommend it to anyone that is seriously considering it.
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
FatBuoy

There seem to be some differing opinions, as there always are, but I think the answer will be LAs. If I heard, "you will not be able to tell a difference on a JK unless you have 2 ft. of lift, don't waste your money" I would say no, but for the $500 it sounds like a good idea now rather than regretting not doing it later.

Thanks again Jeep gurus!

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Waiting to be installed: Nuttin!

On order: Nuttin!

Some day: I may grow up, but I seriously doubt it. Oh, and a Hemi!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
There seem to be some differing opinions, as there always are, but I think the answer will be LAs. If I heard, "you will not be able to tell a difference on a JK unless you have 2 ft. of lift, don't waste your money" I would say no, but for the $500 it sounds like a good idea now rather than regretting not doing it later.

Thanks again Jeep gurus!
It is WELL worth the extra $500.00.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.