Ricks 2012 DD/Weekend Warrior Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ricks 2012 DD/Weekend Warrior Build

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ricks 2012 DD/Weekend Warrior Build

Hello everyone. I've decided to start my build thread...Not sure if my project is worthy of a build thread but hopefully it gets there sooner or later. This is my first Jeep Wrangler. A 2012 Sport, and I love this vehicle. It didnt have 200 miles on it before I started modding.

The premise of my build will be a functional Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior. My GF drives the Cherokee so I need to keep this as reasonably streetable as possible.

So...on with the build..

The Jeep the day I got it, and a few trail pics:

img_1001-small-.jpg   img_1002-small-.jpg   img_1010-small-.jpg   img_1123-small-.jpg   img_1139-small-.jpg  

img_1152-small-.jpg  
maniacal_rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

welcome !!!

every jeep and project is worthy of a build thread!!!!!

have fun love the white pm if you need help with any thing

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/kade-2012-jku-build-1305112/
kade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
scratchkenny
2011 JK Wrangler 

What gearing do you have? what do you plan on doing? lift, gears, tires,,, Ill be watching Iam in the same boat. got a 2011 with 321 gears and torn on what to do.
scratchkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

I started by stripping the factory stereo. I started out with the plain jane 6 speaker/CD player/BT system (130 I think). I added a Pioneer AVIC-x930BT with Back Up Camera, Sirius module and Steering wheel controls. I liked the Pioneer because of the ability to stream most anything from my ipod to the head unit, so for example if there is a GPS program I like better than the navigation that comes with the Head unit, I can use that instead. I can also stream netflix

Components used to install the stereo:

Standard Double Din Dash Kit
Wiring Harness - XSVI-6522-NAV (Metra)
Steering Wheel Control Interface - ASWC (Metra)
Pioneers Sirius Adapter - CD-SB10
Pioneers Sirius Module - SC-C1
Pioneers Backup Camera - ND-BC5

Crutchfield states the ASWC doesnt work because of the Jeeps CanBus system..but I can confirm the system works perfectly and I had no issues installing.
img_1170-small-.jpg   img_1155-small-.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

I added my amps and a Sub. All Polk equipment. The Amps are mounted on the back gate and the sub is in a box I built out of MDF. I dont have any pics of the install process or box build. I plan on adding or building an instatrunk so all of these components will be relocated and I will probably build another sub enclosure when I buy/build the insta trunk.
img_1173-small-.jpg   img_1174-small-.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Next came the hitch so I can lug around my Jet Ski.

Kudos to Quadratec for a fantastic hitch system. The instructions were perfect with color pictures, even came with a Mopar receiver cover. All for around $80 I think. I called the dealereship and they wanted almost 300 for the receiver and the wiring.
img_1171-small-.jpg   img_1172-small-.jpg   img_1175-small-.jpg   img_1176-small-.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Threw in the CB with the Quadratech Antenna Mount and a Firestik. Mounted the CB in the center console. I HATE wires showing and things just randomly mounted anywhere. I like the look of factory
img_1195-small-.jpg   img_1192-small-.jpg   img_1198-small-.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

And finally, last update until more parts come in. New Rubber and Shoes. Procomp MT's in a 315-75/16 with Procom wheels.

Two things im not sure on though...I dont know if I want to leave the center caps chrome and I dont think I like the white lettering on the outside

Oh...and AEV's Procal to re-calibrate the speedo and TPMS errors.
img_1178-small-.jpg   img_1179-small-.jpg   img_1180-small-.jpg   img_1181-small-.jpg   img_1182-small-.jpg  

img_1183-small-.jpg   img_1187-small-.jpg   img_1193-small-.jpg   img_1185-small-.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

about the amps on the tail gate

1. dont open it when it rains.
2. that where the air hole is for the jk so moisture getting in a high possibility
3. if you got them on and the extra tire like a 33 or 35 (yes 35 fit i got it on) thats to much weight

i want to get some subs and amps to but nut sure where to mount it

it was a good idea i just want to make sure you wont be sorry later (before you switch it)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/kade-2012-jku-build-1305112/
kade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

No dirty pics yet...still need to trim the Pinch Seams. I'm running 3.21's from the factory so a re-gear will be in my future but honestly the car is completely streetable as is. I still average 20ish mpg around 60 in 5th gear.

The AEV is fantastic. I matched my Speedo against my iPhones GPS after a recal and they are spot on. (and no annoying TPMS warnings).

I really wanna add Rubicon Sliders if I can find a decent set. Im in Florida so there arent many rocks here to worry about. Im going to run Metalcloak's ARB Edition Dual-Rate Lift Kit which should be here next week. Plus a few other goodies I ordered from KOR.

Still need to hash out lighting, and what im going to do about gearing and the from D30 for strength. Ill probably just sleeve/gusset it at the same time the gears get done...but I need to see how it handles here first before I decide on the gearing (thinking 4.56 or 4.88's)
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kade View Post
about the amps on the tail gate

1. dont open it when it rains.
2. that where the air hole is for the jk so moisture getting in a high possibility
3. if you got them on and the extra tire like a 33 or 35 (yes 35 fit i got it on) thats to much weight

i want to get some subs and amps to but nut sure where to mount it

it was a good idea i just want to make sure you wont be sorry later (before you switch it)
Thanks, itll be fine for now. I'm not even mounting the spare until I get a rear bumper with a carrier...so there isn't any weight on it at the moment.

I tell you what, its actually worked out very nice. Everything is black and even in the day you cant see it from outside the jeep with the tint. I really like the mounting location...but like I said before Ill rerun everything once I figure out what type of trunk system I wanna run with.
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice build so far!! Love the white! A blacked out grille would look awsome on her also!!
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
Nice build so far!! Love the white! A blacked out grille would look awsome on her also!!
Thanks! Im considering either doing the whole grill or just the vents/headlight areas. Not sure yet.
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sneak Peak at things to come. Big thanks to Jason at http://www.krawloff-road.com/ for the speedy delivery!!
img_1199-medium-.jpg  
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Pinch Seams trimmed, this pic is before seal and paint obviously. Have to run to the store and find some gloss white...apparently the can I had was spent.
img_1201-medium-.jpg   img_1203-medium-.jpg   img_1204-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.