Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rhino Liner?

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  cab76 
#1 ·
After I take delivery of my JK, (hopefully in a couple of weeks), I am thinking of removing the carpet and having Rhino Liner or similar type of protectant put down on the metal, and then putting down rubber floor and cargo mats. Has anyone done this to their Jeep? Is Rhino Liner a good product? I have a dog and two young kids who can mess up a vehicle in no time, not to mention dirt and all from general use. Plus, I like the look of exposed metal on the inside. I'm sure one of the downsides will be that the Jeep is noisier, but I can't think of any other downsides. Any thoughts or warnings?

#2 ·
One thing to maybe think about is exposed wires: I know what the floor board of a car looks like with the carpet removed, wires and stuff running everywhere. I know that none of my other 7 Jeeps had that problem but with this new jeep I don't know if they still followed that design premise. The rhino liner stuff is good, I think it will work for what you want it for. Just food for thought.

#3 ·
Rhino liner is ok but Line X is a much better product. Rhino stays soft forever. Line X is as hard as a rock and will never crack guarenteed. I have had trucks with both and i would only buy line X in the future. Who cares about wires. you can always run plastic wire protectors where ever it is exposed.

#4 ·
chris269 said:
Rhino liner is ok but Line X is a much better product. Rhino stays soft forever. Line X is as hard as a rock and will never crack guarenteed. I have had trucks with both and i would only buy line X in the future. Who cares about wires. you can always run plastic wire protectors where ever it is exposed.
If this is the case then I would think the Rhino liner would be better for the interior of the Jeep... more grip and better sound deadening. Linex would probably be the better choice for a heavy cargo area.

#6 ·
I am also planning to do this and was planning to use Rhino liner. Rhino might not be as durable as Line-X for use in a pick-up bed, but I would think it would be a much better product to use for the interior, especially if you have pets. Rhino is more rubbery and less rough than Line-X. Rockcrawler has a good write up on this (with pics) for a TJ. The TJ has wires as well (although probably not as much as the JK w/power windows/doors) and they were not a problem to deal with in the application of the Rhino liner. Also Rockcrawler had the applicator match the color of the liner with the color of the carpet (khaki - apparantly they can color match any color) and it looked great!

I would love to see pics of the JK without carpet/plastic trim and get any input on lining the interior. One concern that I have is off gassing - I wonder if fumes will be a problem after lining the interior??

#7 ·
cab76 said:
I would love to see pics of the JK without carpet/plastic trim and get any input on lining the interior. One concern that I have is off gassing - I wonder if fumes will be a problem after lining the interior??
Fumes from what? The liner? Maybe for a few days tops but after it completely cures, I wouldnt worry about it.

#8 ·
cab76 said:
Rockcrawler has a good write up on this (with pics) for a TJ. The TJ has wires as well (although probably not as much as the JK w/power windows/doors) and they were not a problem to deal with in the application of the Rhino liner. Also Rockcrawler had the applicator match the color of the liner with the color of the carpet (khaki - apparantly they can color match any color) and it looked great!
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/rhino_tj/index.asp

#9 ·
chris269 said:
Trust me rhino sucks. why would you get better sound deadening. you wouldn't be able to notice it anyway. if you take the carpet out you can forget about sound deadening. what you want is quality. I don't care what you buy i'm just giving my 2 cents.
I'm pretty sure that Rhino doesn't "suck" but has different properties than Linex.
Sound deadening... the more pliant material will attenuate sound more effectively.

#10 ·
Interesting, thanks for all the input. I have never heard of Line X, and will check it out for further compariosn. One question about the Rhino Liner "rubberiness" (is that a word?), will it feel sticky if the vehicle gets really hot such as in the summer with the sun beating down on it, closed or open? Also, will it rip/tear/peal if something heavy with an edge shifts around on it? Thanks.

#13 ·
Well, I checked out Line X, and given Chris269's experience with both, I think that the Line X would be the choice if I had a pickup bed and I was going to be tossing in cinder blocks and other debris, but for my needs in the JK, I think the "softer" more grippable surface that the Rhino liner will provide will better suit my needs. I'm still researching both though, and cost will be a factor, but I will let you know (and post pictures before and after) of my ultimate choice. Thanks for all your help.

#15 ·
RMeak said:
Just curious, what is it with Rino lining or LineXing the inside of a Jeep. Not trying to be sarcastic just curious.
Can't answer for anyone else, but for me the factors are: 1) easy to clean, 2) protection for the floor and sides, 3) weatherproof. I have a rubber liner in my pickup right now and I love how easy to clean it is. I don't have to worry about muddy boots clogging my carpet/mats up with mud. Only thing I don't like is that it moves around a bit, which is probably wearing into the paint/metal of the floorboard. Rhino liner is the perfect solution, especially for a vehicle prone to getting wet inside occasionally like the Jeep. It will be easy to clean (especially on a Jeep where you can pop out the plugs and wash out the interior), it won't cake up with mud, it will protect the interior from dings and rust, it won't shift around at all, and it won't mold or stain like carpet. Finally, (this isn't really a factor for me, but it is my opinion) I think it will look good and fit the character of the Jeep well. Only thing I'm not sure about is off-gassing (as I mentioned above - sounds like this may not be a problem after it cures, but I'm still curious to hear from any Rhino reps or people that have done this to the interior of their vehicles) and what to do with the rear compartment.

#16 ·
Thanks Cab76 for clarifying it for me. My Jeep is on the trail everyweek end from about the middle of May til about the middle of September, on mostly rocks. I do very little mudding unless the trail runs through it, very little water crossings unless the trail runs through it and other than the monsoon season we have the inside of the Jeep very seldom gets wet. I honestly only wash the exterior of the Jeep twice, once in the spring(winter funk) and once in the fall(summer funk) but I keep the inside pretty clean with the exception of dust. But I guess if you live in a wet area, the South, California, or even the muddy northeast then a rubberized metal protectant is probally worth the money...but it is not for me.

#18 ·
FWIW, I did this in my CJ7. Only thing I'd add to the LineX vs. Rhino debate is that the Rhino under the pedals was too soft and wore out by the heel. The rubber mats should help, but more likely overkill. I've since used LineX in another project, and would expect it to wear a lot better.

No issues with fumes or anything, and super easy to maintain.

#19 ·
bobholthaus said:
So, cab76, did you ever do it? I think it's an awesome idea. I'd like to do the exact thing when I get a JK. Dogs, kids, etc... the Rhino and a hose to wash it out would be perfect!!!
Not yet. I'm still planning on it though (once I get the funds). Since this thread was started I've heard many accounts of people that have had this done to their JKs and everyone was happy with the results.

#21 · (Edited)
I've gotten quotes ranging from $1,000 to $1,500 to have the dealer do everything. Pulling everything off yourself (seats, trim, etc.) cuts the price by $300 - $500, so the range is from $600 to $1100. Typically the Rhino dealers like to do the masking off prep work, but you might be able to save more if you can do that. I've called 4-5 shops in Northern California and those quotes are for an Unlimited. I should say, however, that no one that I've called has sprayed a JK yet - so they really don't know what to expect yet. If you can find a shop that has experience with JKs, they should be able to give you the best idea on what the cost will be. I'm looking to have mine done soon by the way - as soon as my bumpers come in - I'll post some pics afterwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.