Reverse Rake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Reverse Rake

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Reverse Rake

So, I've had a teraflex leveling kit on my 2 door JK for a few years now, and decided that it was time to get a few more inches of lift. I added 18/59 Coils to my JK. About 6 weeks ago. I feel like the front of my JK sits way higher than the back now. It doesn't seem level. I have a few questions about this set up..

Is it just me, or is there a legitimate reason that the front seems so much higher than the back?

How can I measure to see if everything is level? Should I measure from the bottom of the bumpers, fenders, frame, etc?

Is it safe to say I'm running ~3" of lift now? If so, what shocks should I go with?

Also sometimes when I hit bumps at speed (30-35mph) with this set up, my jeep goes into a death wobble that can only be stopped by completely stopping the jeep. Should I be thinking about a track bar bracket/ adjustable track bar or just a realignment?

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

18/59 should on their own give you a level ride. If anything the back should be higher then the front. On my Unlimited it takes a 3.5" spring upfront to level my rear #59 with TF 2.5" spacer.
What height TF leveling kit do you have?
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrook View Post
Also sometimes when I hit bumps at speed (30-35mph) with this set up, my jeep goes into a death wobble that can only be stopped by completely stopping the jeep. Should I be thinking about a track bar bracket/ adjustable track bar or just a realignment?
You are not describing "a" death wobble. You are describing "the" death wobble (if the oscillations go away as you slow its not death wobble - its shimmy!).

Several things contribute - including "rake". When the vehicle is higher in the front the castor relative to frame is decreased (so sway has a greater effect on the centering that castor relative to road provides) - increased castor adds to the positive feedback side of the wobble equation. BUT thats not to say the rake is the CAUSE. The cause is the perfect storm of loose steering, ball joints, alignment, geometry, non dampening of the feedback etc. This is what makes it a challenge to correct.

There are threads up in the stickies that address wobble - take it step by step (do NOT assume just DO) and you should be able to work it out. As to the actual frame heights a body shop might inform you of the frame measuring points - I have a good relationship with my local body frame shop and they let me look through the books (its all on computer now lol) as needed.
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
18/59 should on their own give you a level ride. If anything the back should be higher then the front. On my Unlimited it takes a 3.5" spring upfront to level my rear #59 with TF 2.5" spacer.
What height TF leveling kit do you have?
I have the standard Teraflex Leveling kit. 2" spacers in the front, 1" spacers in the back.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Look up Carolina squat lol
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You can pull the front 2" spacers out and remove all together or replace with 1" and try that.. A little rake down in front is better then nose up..
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
A little rake down in front is better then nose up..
You wouldn't say that headed towards a berm jump at 70 mph!!!
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
A_Ninja_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
You wouldn't say that headed towards a berm jump at 70 mph!!!
But you also Probably wouldn't be in a jeep!
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
chesapeakesoja
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864
Look up Carolina squat lol
Exactly what came to my mind as well :rofl
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
Ronald Reagan
chesapeakesoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesoja View Post
Exactly what came to my mind as well :rofl
Haha unfortunately, that's what I feel like my jeep looks like right now.. I'm putting new shocks on soon. I think I'm going to pull one of the 1" spacers from the front when I put the shocks on.

Unread 05-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

off road its better to have it a bit down then up. when you get virtical its the little things that mean the most.
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Scormunch
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I put 18/59 springs in, I had to take out one of the two front Teraflex spacers so it would sit level.
Scormunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scormunch View Post
When I put 18/59 springs in, I had to take out one of the two front Teraflex spacers so it would sit level.
Did you take both 1" spacers out on each side in the front? or just one 1" spacer per side on the front?

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Scormunch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Correct. I left in one spacer per side and the rear spacers plus the springs.
Scormunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Let us see a pic.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.