Retractable Cockpit Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Retractable Cockpit Cover

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Titera
2013 JK Wrangler 

Retractable Cockpit Cover

Looking for your recommendation on a Retractable Cockpit Cover. I have a 3-piece hard top on my 2013 2-Door JK. During the summer, I would like to take the 2 front pieces (that covers the driver and passenger) off. However, when I get to work each day, I would like to quickly cover the cockpit area to help protect from sun damage and the possibility of rain. Rather than taking the time to install the 2-piece hard covers, it would be great if I could just simply pull out a cover to do the job. Do you have any recommendations on such a device?

Thanks,

Michael

Titera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

A tarp or spend the 10min and put back on the top
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

for sun a spiderweb shade, it will fit under the hard top. If it looks like rain put the panels back on.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would remove the hard top and keep the sun panels. But I have heard the if you remove just the the sunpanels you will get alot of buffeting, note sure at what speed but that is bothering to deal with.
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is a great idea but i have never seen one. You could look into roll blinds made of waterproof type material and find a way to fasten to soundbar frame, should be easy to attatch to windsheild area.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
CJ_Rick

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would remove the hard top and keep the sun panels.
I've wondered why more people don't do this, is there a down side to doing it ?
78CJ5, 304, 4" BDS lift 1"body, Wide track axles, Powertrax noslip locker front & Detroit locker rear,4:56, 35s, Tera Low, Warn 9.5ti Winch, TKHFAB Rock Angles, Rock bumpers front & rear...
2012 JKU.
2012 JK, 2"lift, 32"BFG's, JCR Dagger stubby front bumper, Warn 9.5cti winch.
CJ_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Rick

I do this sometimes if top is completely off no soft or hard on it, when i wake up to unexpected rain, just slap doors on and freedom panels, with a cloth underneath them to stop rattling. Works great.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

how long does it take you to put the panels on? Mine take about 2 minutes. Putting any other cover on takes about the same time.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Rick View Post
i roll like that 99% of the time. Best dang bikini top ever, hard to even think that Jeep did it stock. Bought some two part soft doors, a tono rear with the rear removible window. I can be doorless/half doors/ full doors/rear widow or not in less tha 2minutes.Pluss stow it all with gear in a 2d. Love it. My hard top and doors are stored and may never use them again.

at camps I can store stuff on the roof. it even holds my weight. take pics from up there. My ice chest at night, keeps it away from SOME bears, not all.
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
CJ_Rick

1978 CJ5 

Any one have any pictures of their Jeep with just the panels on ?
78CJ5, 304, 4" BDS lift 1"body, Wide track axles, Powertrax noslip locker front & Detroit locker rear,4:56, 35s, Tera Low, Warn 9.5ti Winch, TKHFAB Rock Angles, Rock bumpers front & rear...
2012 JKU.
2012 JK, 2"lift, 32"BFG's, JCR Dagger stubby front bumper, Warn 9.5cti winch.
CJ_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotmb

I do this sometimes if top is completely off no soft or hard on it, when i wake up to unexpected rain, just slap doors on and freedom panels, with a cloth underneath them to stop rattling. Works great.
If you flip down the little black rectangle things towards the rear of the panels, you shouldn't have any rattles. They make up for the empty space when you have the rear of the top off and just run the freedom panels.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
md_rubi

image-665743552.jpg

Why not use wade top? It's smoked lexan works great. I've used it twice but I can't use it since I have custom cage
image-2471620155.jpg  
md_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Im about take my JKU on a 3 hour road trip for the weekend and I'm leaving my hard top behind and bringing the panels and the doors. Im still trying to figure out what to do if it rains. Maybe a tarp, but dont think I could do that on the interstate if I run through a squal. Any ideas? Sorry OP didn't mean to jack the thread.

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Metalman
2014 JK Wrangler 

Pull the carpet and drain plugs, then hope for the best!
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

That was my original solution. Now that I got a second on it thats what will be done

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.