Requesting Assistance - Wrangler w/ 37,000K miles Blew a Rod for No Apparent Reason - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Requesting Assistance - Wrangler w/ 37,000K miles Blew a Rod for No Apparent Reason

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 04-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would say no, it's not normal for an engine with reasonable maintenance to fail catastrophically, especially with so few miles. However, I'm not sure Chrysler owes you anything beyond their offer. I think they should take care of it as this is obviously an anomaly and good PR/giving a damn about their customers but I don't expect that to happen. A 3 yr/30k mile drivetrain warranty is crap, too.

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

even if it was a 5 year drivetrain, it would have been out of warranty.

As previously mentioned, **** happens. You weren't covered, and at no fault of the manufacturers. I have a cracked block in my 55K mile 2008, outside of warranty. I'm not going to call Chrysler, because they did nothing wrong, and I'd feel like a grub asking for them to pay for a repair that is clearly not their responsibility. I purchased a 10K mile replacement 3.8 and am paying the labor to have it swapped.

If you can't afford to repair a broken vehicle, you should always maintain an extended warranty. Sorry for your unfortunate circumstances.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Lee @ JeepCares-
I have a response for you but it is telling me you have too little space to accept my message. Something about needing to clean up space. Let me know when I can get that message to you. Thanks.
JeepTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTrouble View Post
But the problem is, is that I did all my oil changes properly. Even some at the dealership. And they never mentioned this issue. After the mechanics at the dealership reviewed my car, they determined that I had properly maintained my car and that I was not at fault in any way for my engine failure.

This is why I am so perplexed with what happened.
You openly said it has been 10 months since your last oil change.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post

You openly said it has been 10 months since your last oil change.
The manual states do not exceed 12 months or 10,000 miles between oil changes.

I don't understand why he did not get the lifetime warranty that they offered back then just because he bought it in 06
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post

I don't understand why he did not get the lifetime warranty that they offered back then just because he bought it in 06
Because they hadn't yet offered the warranty in 06, would be my guess
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
This is from the first post in this thread:
"...I bought my Jeep a few months before the new Powertrain Warranty came out in June 2007..."
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would be happy that they offered to help at all! It's $2500 bucks, do some extra work. Or hell, put it on a credit card if it still makes financial sense to keep it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Not for a '07 JK,it's 6 months or 8000 miles.
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #25
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Lee-
I am still trying to send you a reply message but I am getting an error stating your private message storage is too full. I really want to send you a reply.
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

JeepCares-
I am still trying to reply to you but I am getting an error message stating your private message storage has reached capacity and is too full. Please let me know how I can get a reply to you. Thanks!!!
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Possible Coverage?

This is outlined in Chrysler's Warranty overview. Does this apply to my vehicle?

WHAT'S COVERED UNDER
DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S WARRANTIES
8.Optional Service Contract
DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC's or
DaimlerChrysler Service Contract Company LLC's optional
service contracts offer valuable protection against repair
costs when these warranties donít apply. They complement
but donít replace the warranty coverages outlined in this
booklet. Several plans are available, covering various time and-
mileage periods and various sets of components.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTrouble View Post
This is outlined in Chrysler's Warranty overview. Does this apply to my vehicle?

WHAT'S COVERED UNDER
DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S WARRANTIES
8.Optional Service Contract
DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC's or
DaimlerChrysler Service Contract Company LLC's optional
service contracts offer valuable protection against repair
costs when these warranties don’t apply. They complement
but don’t replace the warranty coverages outlined in this
booklet. Several plans are available, covering various time and-
mileage periods and various sets of components.
Did you buy a service contract? If not then no and I'd say your a little to late to buy one as they would run about the same cost as putting a engine in.

You do know you can claim this under your vehicle insurance so you only have to pay the deductable.
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #29
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Thank you to everyone who has been kind enough to read and comment on my thread about my Jeep. I have received some really great news about my engine replacement. I am still waiting for some of the details, but I can guarantee you that I will be singing songs of praise about Chrysler! It took some perseverance, stress, a lot of research and quite a few nights without sleep AND the help of some very kind people at Chrysler. It also took almost two weeks and I am exhausted and sick as a dog. Once I know all the details tomorrow I will let you know!!

For now, I have my tiny little Ford rental car, that feels more like a Match Box car, for another couple of days to get some things done. I guess I will have to rent another one for when I teach next week. Ugh. I don't even feel safe in that tiny thing. I wonder if the dealership would consider giving me a loaner while my Jeep gets fixed??!! Anyway, my car will soon be getting repaired! I just can't wait to get my big, bad Jeep back!! Yaaaayyyy!!
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #30
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm. Food for thought. I have been in contact with my insurance and they had a mechanic do their own diagnostic. They have been a bit hedgy about it all, but they are suggesting that it wouldn't be able to be claimed since there wasn't any collision. Heaven forbid that I safely get of the Los Angeles 405 in 9:00 AM traffic when my vehicle goes from 55mph to 10 in a few seconds.

They keep asking me with "Chrysler" has determined..."What is their opinion?", etc. Are they waiting to see what Chrysler will do to see if they don't have to fulfill a claim? Maybe I need to look over my claim more carefully. But I don't know if I would trust them as much as Chrysler? Or would they be required to use a dealership?

He also told me it might increase my premium...although that may no sense to me sense I wasn't at fault with the engine failure and didn't hit anything or anyone. I can't afford a rental car, even at the discounted price, for more than a few days a week. Their process might start all over from scratch. I will call my agent tomorrow just to see what's up.

Tags
engine failure , engine replacement , jk , warranty questions , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.