Requesting Assistance - Wrangler w/ 37,000K miles Blew a Rod for No Apparent Reason - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Requesting Assistance - Wrangler w/ 37,000K miles Blew a Rod for No Apparent Reason

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Requesting Assistance - Wrangler w/ 37,000K miles Blew a Rod for No Apparent Reason

Good afternoon-
Thank you for reading this. Will try to be brief. Have 2007 Jeep Wangler X, 4/dr, 2wd, automatic. Had been on freeway for about 1-2 miles (going ~50-55, in some traffic) when Jeep started to decelerate very, very fast. Heard no sounds; didn't blow any oil. Wouldn't start for about an hour. Finally got to start and heard bad, loud clunking noise near bottom of engine. Mechanics have determined I "spun a rod". Great. There went the engine. They dropped the oil pan & gasket and saw "chunks" (not just shavings) of metal. Total interior engine failure!

I have a severe chronic illness so I don't drive it that much. I have very low mileage and I drive it very carefully. 2007 model w 37K miles. I am scared to death. First person at Chrysler told me they wouldn't help because I am past 3 yr/30,000 miles at bought it before new warranty policy. Just my kind of luck.

Have called Chrysler again, and since I bought my Jeep a few months before the new Powertrain Warranty came out in June 2007, I have had to go through supervisors and now have a case manager who is "considering" my case. The mechanics have no idea why this happened to my engine with its miles, condition, etc. Fluids were fine. But found out there were recalls and they haven't been fixed. Now they want Chrysler dealership to look at it and "decide" what happened. That way manufacturer will see "How they can help", if at all.

I have seen others with same problem here and Chrysler repaired their engines, even though they were bought before June 2007.
1) What are the chances Chrysler will help me? How can I help to explain financial & mechanical necessity?
2) If they don't help, I simply can't afford the thousands it will cost to have a new or used engine replaced. Is it best to sell the Jeep without a working engine or privately look for one? (Have tried to start this process - Has proved quite difficult.)

Would appreciate any advice!

(Please last most recent update below for additional information and plea for assistance)

Thank you!!

Last edited by JeepTrouble; 04-05-2013 at 06:58 PM..
JeepTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

1. it would be really great if Chrysler did that for you. I would say your chances are better now (new ownership - Fiat) than a few years ago. I don't know how to help explain it any better.
2. A gently used engine (under 10K miles) can be had for about $1,000 from AEV, Burnsville, or other shops that replace 3.8 engines with Hemi engines. Getting a good shop to install it should be under that much too; but, I don't know about your area.

Best of luck & please keep us posted.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Thank you so much for your reply!

The rep at corporate seems much more kind/willing than the guy at the dealership. The Chrysler dealership has asked me to send them all of my oil change receipts. This is weird because the mechanics at the shop didn't think my engine failure had to do with my oil because it was less than a quart low and I had no oil blow-out at the time of the engine failure. The dealership is saying that can't be proved since they didn't take down the oil pan. I have begged them to call the shop that did the diagnostic. Even the shop's report explained this fact.

I most recently changed my oil 2700 miles ago. It was some time ago, last June, but as I mentioned above, I used my car very minimally. But it seems I can't find every single one of my oil change receipts. I am looking and have called the places where I went. EZLube was apparently bought out by Valvoline and not all records transferred. Great. I feel like dealership will report back to corporate and use this angle to deny me assistance in replacing the engine. The mechanic at the independent shop told me there was no way to definitively determine why my engine blew a rod, only hypothetical and multiple scenarios, so the "oil" couldn't be identified as the ONLY reason this happened. Does that sound correct?
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTrouble View Post

1) What are the chances Chrysler will help me? How can I help to explain financial & mechanical necessity?
Quote:

The rep at corporate seems much more kind/willing than the guy at the dealership. The Chrysler dealership has asked me to send them all of my oil change receipts.
Quote:
But it seems I can't find every single one of my oil change receipts. I am looking and have called the places where I went. EZLube was apparently bought out by Valvoline and not all records transferred. Great. I feel like dealership will report back to corporate and use this angle to deny me assistance in replacing the engine.
I don't have all the facts so I am just going to make some general comments.

Every situation is looked at on a case-by-case basis.

The vehicle is out of warranty - probably by 3 years or so.

"Chrysler" usually doesn't tell people to take their vehicles to a dealer unless they may consider goodwill assistance. If they won't consider any assistance, they would usually flat out tell them no.

"Chrysler" is going to take the opinion of a factory authorized dealer over an independent.

Keep copies of any oil receipts you give the dealer (if they don't give you back the originals.) You can't give them what you don't have.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I most recently changed my oil 2700 miles ago. It was some time ago, last June, but as I mentioned above, I used my car very minimally.
That right there will get you since you also have a time limit for oil changes regardless of how many miles driven.I'm pretty sure it's 6 months regardless of miles driven.

Even though you live in SoCAL you do see some drastic temp changes which will cause condensation to buildup inside the engine and that mixed with the oil is bad news and why there is a time limit for oil changes.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Greatly appreciated. I will appraise you of their ultimate decision. It looks like they are indeed going to help me. They are trying to determine a "deductible" quote, if you will, for me. I normally keep very detailed records and missed maybe one or two receipts. I will definitely be extra super mega careful next time! I love my Jeep and want to keep on loving it!! Thanks all!!
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

After reading posts, from this forum, from other Jeep owners that experienced issues very similar to mine, I was very optimistic about the assistance that Jeep would offer me. The positive encouragement from my case manager also made me extremely optimistic. He told me “It looked very good for me”, and that he was thinking the cost would be similar to a “deductable”. But it appears that I do not have the same kind of luck the other Jeep owners had. I received a phone call today to let me know that Chrysler estimated the cost of the repair/replacement of my engine would be about $5500 and that they would be “willing” to pay $2000 of that amount, and I would be responsible for the remaining $2500. In reality, it is a nice offer. However, with someone of my extremely limited financial means, the remainder amount of $2500 is a virtual impossibility. I explained to them that I only work two days a week as a part-time college teacher and that I have a very serious, chronic illness. I told them that I was willing to submit documents such as my past tax returns as well as my current paycheck stubs. They rejected the necessity of such documents and the relevance of this issue.

I have been a Jeep customer for over 10 years. I have never been late with a single payment. I took very good care of my Jeep. I just happen to have bought my car a few months before the new powertrain warranty came out.

One note of issue that came up was something that I was not aware of and have not been able to find anywhere on the Internet. I purchased my vehicle in late 2006, and therefore missed the newly created lifetime powertrain warranty that came out in June of 2007. I had hoped that because my Jeep model was the same that the “New” warranty covered, that that would be part of their consideration. Apparently it was not. My case manager told me that the warranty was created because there was a very specific defect in their some of the jeeps that had been made in 2007. This was a mistake on his part. I have a link below that shows that the warranty even included 2006 models. If the warranty covered 2006 models how could it be the result of a specific defect in Jeeps manufactured after Jan 2007? It couldn’t.
http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powe...anty/faq.html\

There is also an apparent issue with the 2007-2008 JK 3.8L Jeep Wrangler engine for “Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity”. I wasn’t made aware of this either. See the following TSB Service Bulletin report for details: http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_09-008-07.pdf

For most people, having their repair cost cut in half would be potentially do-able. And I am grateful for what they offered; I guess I was hoping against hope that they would assist me as I had seen them do for others on this forum. My case manager was going to talk to the big “They” who make the decisions to see if they would reconsider (Though he said he didn’t see them making much of a change)

At this point it looks like I may have to change my post from one that asks advice to one that asks if there will be anyone interested in buying a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that doesn't have a properly working engine. I am extremely saddened. I really do love my Jeep.
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Additional Request for Advice/Opinions:

I understand that no one can definitely answer the following question. I am asking for anyone with a mechanical background to make an educated guess. I have described what happened to my car above. Jeep Wrangler - 37K miles - spun a rod without warning or previous incident. Would the Chrysler Service Bulletin have a connection to my event? If I had replaced the Front Timing Cover or changed my oil more frequently than generally recommended, could I have potentially have avoided such a massive engine failure? I know that there are a lot of "Ifs" here. But Chrysler is not being very helpful and they are denying the relevance to my incident when other mechanics are saying there could be a connection. I would occasionally see some oil drippage but nothing huge. When I would get my oil changed the techs would often remark how much oil I went through. But no concern was ever raised (Even by the Chrysler dealership I got my oil changed at) that I should have this checked.

Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin: http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_09-008-07.pdf

New edit: The original mechanic that evaluated my car/engine, dropped the oil pan and saw the chunks of metal in the oil pan has reviewed the TSB. He believes that it is possible that the issues outlined in the report could have caused my engine failure. How can I use this information to have Chrysler assist me more in the replacement of my engine? He isn't a dealership mechanic. The dealership mechanic is supposedly reviewing the bulletin as well. I am unsure how much weight this would carry unless the Chrysler mechanic concurs with his assessment.

Suggestions? Please??

Any assistance/opinion/advice would be most greatly appreciated!
Thank you so very much!

Last edited by JeepTrouble; 04-05-2013 at 06:56 PM..
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
i82much

Quote:
Additional Request for Advice/Opinions:

I understand that no one can definitely answer the following question. I am asking for anyone with a mechanical background to make an educated guess. I have described what happened to my car above. Jeep Wrangler - 37K miles - spun a rod without warning or previous incident. Would the Chrysler Service Bulletin have a connection to my event? If I had replaced the Front Timing Cover or changed my oil more frequently than generally recommended, could I have potentially have avoided such a massive engine failure? I know that there are a lot of "Ifs" here. But Chrysler is not being very helpful and they are denying the relevance to my incident when other mechanics are saying there could be a connection. I would occasionally see some oil drippage but nothing huge. When I would get my oil changed the techs would often remark how much oil I went through. But no concern was ever raised (Even by the Chrysler dealership I got my oil changed at) that I should have this checked.

Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin: http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_09-008-07.pdf

New edit: The original mechanic that evaluated my car/engine, dropped the oil pan and saw the chunks of metal in the oil pan has reviewed the TSB. He believes that it is possible that the issues outlined in the report could have caused my engine failure. How can I use this information to have Chrysler assist me more in the replacement of my engine? He isn't a dealership mechanic. The dealership mechanic is supposedly reviewing the bulletin as well. I am unsure how much weight this would carry unless the Chrysler mechanic concurs with his assessment.

Suggestions? Please??

Any assistance/opinion/advice would be most greatly appreciated!
Thank you so very much!
An educated guess would be that something got into an oil passage and starved that rod bearing.

Here's some harsh truth - sh*t happens, and if you don't have a warranty when it happens, you are probably hosed. Everything else is irrelevant. Even if you DO have the warranty, the dealer/OEM may try to find a reason to avoid honoring the warranty, mods, insufficient maintenance records, whatever.

I wish you luck, but I am honestly surprised you got as far as you did with this. Your best bet is to figure out some way to get that engine replaced, because selling it with a blown engine is going to cost you a lot more than getting it fixed.

Good luck.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

TSB's are free only if your under warranty,you have to pay for them if your out of warranty.They are not recalls just pointers to techs of a common problem found in that engine/vehicle/system.

Going so long between oil changes,time wise regardless of miles driven,is just as bad as going to extreme OCI's like 15,000 miles due to condinsation buildup inside the engine.
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

This Doesn't Apply to My ase

But the problem is, is that I did all my oil changes properly. Even some at the dealership. And they never mentioned this issue. After the mechanics at the dealership reviewed my car, they determined that I had properly maintained my car and that I was not at fault in any way for my engine failure.

This is why I am so perplexed with what happened.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

There are few things that can spin rod bearings. Lack of oil. Over Rev. And just murpy at times though rare. To bad you can not take the offer, that is as good a deal as one could expect.

Not driving it for year with old oil is BAD idea. Water gets in there, rust forms, sludge. Then you fire it up sending all that throughthe motor. Filters get clogged and go to Bypass and can even come apart.

I have old car that sit for years. Before I start, change oil and even "prime" (pump up the oil without running the motor)

If the Jeep is paid for you can sell it not running, but it is worth less, alot less. 2wd even less.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When I would get my oil changed the techs would often remark how much oil I went through.
What do you mean by this?
Are you saying the oil was low at the time of the oil change? If so, how low?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
JeepTrouble
2006 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for reading and posting here. I hope I can answer your question fully: It would be pretty low, even though I went in to get my oil changes with very frequent regularity. It wouldn't be low enough that you couldn't see anything at all on the dipstick. I know how to check the level of my oil, so I would check the dipstick when it was getting close to time to get my oil changed. Sometimes, not always mind you, it would look a bit lower than I would have expected, so I would take it in a bit earlier. I would still see oil on the dipstick, but it would be near the "Low" mark. Again, this wasn't every single time.

I should mention that there were a few times when I checked the dipstick, far ahead of when I should have had an oil change, and it would be lower than I liked. I would go and buy oil myself and top it off. (And I am not a fan of synthetic, so I usually steered away from that stuff)

I have occasionally seen a little bit of oil drippage in the last few years, but nothing that really raised too many alarm bells. I kept a lookout for it, but I wish I had known that my engine had a recognized issues with this that Chrysler decided didn't need to be shared with its customers. I wonder, since the oil bulletin came out in 2007, if over time my engine was getting some wear due to oil that might have been lower than I thought. I have never had an Oil light come on in my car nor a Check Engine Light either. Chrysler, both the mechanic and my case manager, have repeatedly told me that I was not at fault for the engine failure and that I properly maintained my vehicle. I have been smart enough to tape all of our conversations.

I do drive my car every week by the way; I just don't drive it like someone who works every day might. I didn't leave my car idle for long periods of time as someone above thought I did. I have changed the oil on previous cars that I have, but because of my physical illness I just can't do it anymore. I'd be doing it every 2K miles if I could. I also just couldn't afford that either.

I drove 37K miles in just over six years. Had I driven my Jeep with the same frequency that most people do, I am thinking this engine failure would have happened much earlier and I wouldn't be in this financial mess. Ugh! Does my experience with my oil sound normal or no?
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have read her of other with 07-08 had issue with some motors. Seems they were built in Mexico and during production the rings were not clocked right. leading to oil high oil use. The other issue you know about oil seeping threw the cast timing cover.

This is just what i seem to recall reading here over time. Though I can not say any of this is or is not true. It is the net.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.