Replacing stock speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing stock speakers

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Weez_1000
2008 JK Wrangler 

Replacing stock speakers

I have an 08 JK 2dr and want to replace the stock speakers. What size speakers go in the dash and the sound bar. I would prefer to buy something that fits in the stock openings without much modification. I would also like to change out the tweeters if possible.

BTW: I see crutchfield has a system that says which speakers will fit but many of them are the component speakers that have separate tweeters with a x-over. If i were to use these would i need to install the x-over? or is there one already installed on the stock setup?

Thanks

Weez_1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I think the Quadrtec site has replacement speakers. You might be able to get the dimensions there.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

I believe it is 6 and a half inch speakers. It component ones in the front. I replaced mine with MTX's, you don't have to use component ones for the front, but it sounds better. It is worth it
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
hkenny90
2007 JK Wrangler 

bestbuys computer has all that info.
hkenny90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
unsocbl
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you buy the component speakers, you defintely want to use the Crossovers!! They make sure the appropriate frequencies go to the correct speakers...if not used, they really sound bad.
unsocbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

I kno that all the speakers ( besides the tweets on the dash ) are 6.5, i just did all 4 of mine, replaced with alpine type S , sound is night and day different, with a aftermarket deck though. I have the X package but wtih the hoooks and fog, but when idid the speakers and no head unit, the sound was pretty much the same, little bit better, but now with an aftermarket alpine deck, i can blare the tunes with no distortion, which stock distordted at around 20 or so if i remember correctly, i can put my deck on til my ears hurt and it still is clleeeeeeear.
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Weez_1000
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go with the components for the fronts and will use the crossovers. Also did you install an amp when you upgraded your unit? I dont want to replace the head unit cause its the mygig w/navigation. I would like to install an amp but i get water in my jeep regularly with the roof down or the windows out and not sure i could find a safe place to mount it where it will stay dry.
Weez_1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
santr97
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weez_1000 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go with the components for the fronts and will use the crossovers. Also did you install an amp when you upgraded your unit? I dont want to replace the head unit cause its the mygig w/navigation. I would like to install an amp but i get water in my jeep regularly with the roof down or the windows out and not sure i could find a safe place to mount it where it will stay dry.
I'm trying to install component speakers in my dash now... Did you install yours?

I'd like to know where to wire the input for the crossovers. Do I wire it to the back of the radio somewhere?

I got my roll bar speakers in no problem.
santr97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

My sig has an ideal setup. The components are well worth the trouble.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weez_1000 View Post
I'm trying to come up with a way to water seal the rear storage compartment (where I have my amp mounted). I haven't dove in head first yet, but I'll let you know what I have going on with that when I get it figured out.
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

6.5" and just a FWI/IMO I went with marine speakers in the sound bar in case i get water/mud around
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not to hijack, but I was wondering about this myself. However, I was wondering if there are any good marine speakers out there that will fit. Mine sees alot of rain and stuff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

You don't have to limit yourself to just marine speakers. Just read the cone and surround material specs. As long as they're not using paper cones or foam surround, they'll be water resistent. A lot of companies are using high tech plasics for these pieces but not advertising them as marine speakers just because they don't come in white yet they're just as water resistent.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Come on guys use the search function

The polk audio are marine grade, quality speakers.
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
captainstabbin

I didn't feel like dealing with the customizing speaker fit since I am basically lazy. I bought the tweeter and regular speaker set from quadratec and installed. Stupid simple easy. Sounds really good. If tou are an apathetic slug like me then get the replacement upgrades from quadrtec. Just my $.02
captainstabbin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.