Replacing or Removing Headlight in a Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing or Removing Headlight in a Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2011

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
JohnKraut
2011 JK Wrangler 

Replacing or Removing Headlight in a Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2011

im curious if anyone knows how to replace my headlight bulbs i have a brighter bulb that i want to put in but i cant reach the headlight to remove it, anyone know a way to get to the headlight?

JohnKraut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
tbone616

It will be in your owners manual but it's pretty simple. Pop the hood, pull the plastic pins along the top of the plastic grill. Remove your turn single bulbs from the grill, simply twist the housing behind the grill to remove the light. Pull the bottom clips out of the retainers from one side to the other and remove grill. Now simply unscrew your headlight lens and replace the bulbs in the back, then put it back together. Done.
tbone616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
JohnKraut
2011 JK Wrangler 

thanks so much, im new to the jeep world and i didnt want to start taken **** off without knowing what would happen, i greatly apprechiate ur help
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
xman1

I have a 2010 wrangler ,i followed the owners manual to replace head light bulbs. I had trouble getting bulbs out of socket. I pulled the red loccking tabs all the way out and bulbs still wont come out. Any 1 have any ideas?
xman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Careful about brighter bulbs. If they draw more current the computer may not allow them to turn on. I've read it hear many times. What's wrong with the stock bulbs? I live in the country and haven't seen the need for bright lighting.
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Make sure you put the grille in a place where it wont blow away. Yes, it is that light...

Replacing the headlights is a real pain after you install a winch or a light bar in front of the grille.

The wires for the headlights are barely long enough to reach the headlights. There is NO slack in the wires at all. This makes it really fun to remove and replace the bulbs.

I would have gladly paid an extra three cents for my jeep if they would have included another inch or two of wiring in there.

Headlight posts are one of the more common posts in the JK forum. Read through a bunch of them before you start throwing headlights into the jeep. Do it right instead of doing it twice.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
JohnKraut
2011 JK Wrangler 

thanks im just trying to install HID headlights, but im still having trouble with it, i cant seem to the find the pins you are talking about on the grill is it the same on the 2011? or is there a tutorial, im sorry if i sound annoying im a jeep newbie and dont wanna mess things up in my new jeep
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Look at the top of the grille, facing upwards, with the hood open. There are a series of black "buttons". In the center of each of those buttons is a "plug". With a small screwdriver, pry each of the plugs out of the center of the buttons. They pop straight up. Once those are removed, the buttons will come out of the holes. Then, the grille can move forward away from the core support. Remove the parking lamp harness if you want to pull the grille away completely.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
JohnKraut
2011 JK Wrangler 

thanks so much! im starting to really love this forum you guys re all a HUGE help
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
RakkJeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Let's see how my headlight installation goes today...
RakkJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Lenny7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My wife has a VW and for the life of me I can't replace the bulbs in that thing. You have to be a full on mechanic and take the car half apart to do it. And they charge $70 a pop to replace them for you.

One went out in my Jeep the other day... $3 and about 9 minutes to fix it.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
RakkJeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

So once again, my 2010 pulled a rabbit out of its hat and I can't find any bulbs that fit the headlight connections. The connections require that the 3 prongs on the bulbs NOT have any protection around them, but no one sells bulbs of those type. Same thing with my fog light bulbs and no manufacturer (other than Jeep of course) make a proper bulb for the fog lights.
RakkJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

The headlight bulbs are H13. Lots of vehicles use them. Heck, even my bro's Mustang GT uses that bulb.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
ezpgh
2011 JK Wrangler 

Forget the manual. Remove the air box and horn and you can do them from the backside easily on the '11.
http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...ghts/headlight
ezpgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpgh View Post
Forget the manual. Remove the air box and horn and you can do them from the backside easily on the '11.
http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...ghts/headlight
Don't do this. You have a chance of crimping your Power Steering reservoir tube and not to mention it is a lot more complicated than just removing the grill. On the other side, yes you can remove the horn, but it is still kinda cramped unless you've got child hands
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.