Replacing parking brake shoes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing parking brake shoes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 03-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
gorillamel
2008 JK Wrangler 

Replacing parking brake shoes

Hi All.
I'm in the process of replacing my rear parking brake shoes since the old ones were shot.
I have a 2008 jk Rubi. I got the assembly taken apart and understand how it is supposed to go together, but just cannot seem to do it.
The problem i have run into is the longer inner spring that holds the shoes in the craddle is neigh impossible to stretch long enough to get over/around the clamp/craddle.

Here is a new shoe with an old shoe along with the long spring (held by the pliers)

The assembly need to get the spring around (inside of)

New shoes w/spring attached. Now just need to get them around assembly into the cradles.

The whole effing shebang...

I looked at a 2007 rubi set up and it only has 1 shorter inner spring and a metal coil clip rather than a long spring like mine.
Any ideas?

I'll see if i can upload photos again...

Last edited by gorillamel; 03-29-2014 at 05:09 PM..
gorillamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
gorillamel
2008 JK Wrangler 

Photos uploaded in OP. :-)
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

From what I can tell, you are trying to assemble and then place in the brake as a unit. The way I do it is to place the brake shoes in the brackets first, then install the spring. Yes, it takes a big, big pull to stretch the spring, but I insert one end and then grab it with some vice grips and pull like hell....never seen them place together with spring the way you describe.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
gorillamel
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with what you say. After a few failed attempts, I called the local dealership and a brake/wheel store who advised to put the shoes together on the spring prior to putting them on the assembly. *sigh* Shows what they know, right?

I'll go suck it up and ask a neighbor for help on the Hulk stretching spring part, since all my other Jeep club friends are on a rock run, ha!
Thanks!
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
ridesno4llfe
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamel View Post
I agree with what you say. After a few failed attempts, I called the local dealership and a brake/wheel store who advised to put the shoes together on the spring prior to putting them on the assembly. *sigh* Shows what they know, right?

I'll go suck it up and ask a neighbor for help on the Hulk stretching spring part, since all my other Jeep club friends are on a rock run, ha!
Thanks!
Actually that is what you do put the spring between the 2 shoes then hold the first one inplace and use the second shoes to levelage and pull the spring to get the shoe inplace
Unread 03-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
gorillamel
2008 JK Wrangler 

Finally got them on. Did connect them first but put them on not over the assembly. Two person project. Had to then slide them over to the craddles and assembly.
Wow. Sounds simple to do. Ha! Guess some have to learn the hard way. At least i should never have to do it again.

Thanks for the input.
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamel View Post
. At least i should never have to do it again.
Dang, you never should have said that!
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.