Replacement Fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement Fenders

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Smarsh7903

Replacement Fenders

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, but I have been stalking this site for a while now. I live in Colorado and recently lightly brushed up against an elk while heading to Denver for some business. The encounter left my jeep without two driver side fenders, without two inner fender wells, and with some dents along the hood and doors. I am looking at fixing the damage myself, and I'm having some problems with figuring out how to replace my fenders. First of all, is the fender well absolutely necessary to replace. I've seen where a lot of people have just taken them out without any issues, but I will be in the mountains this winter and I'm worried about salt and snow getting into the body of the jeep. Is this something to be concerned about or am I just over reacting. Also, besides the fender and the fender wells, is there anything I will need to replace the fenders? I found bits of plastic that looked different from the fender after the accident. I would just hate to order all my parts and then be missing something. Thanks for the help!

Smarsh7903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Helps to fill out your profile so we know what year and model jeep you have. Lots of fender choices out there to choose from,or even can be found at a local salvage yard. The inner fender wells I would replace just to keep mud and snow out of the important stuff.
Spoony1968 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have taken out the inner fenders. After removing them, I sprayed the tub with black bed liner to prevent rocks from chipping the paint on the tub.

You can find stock fenders that people have removed on e-bay.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
nickbol9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Personally living in the snow belt I would recommend getting inner fenders to keep the salt and sand off the motor and everything inside the engine bay just my .02
nickbol9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

IMO, you would want your inner liners. The plastic parts could be broken clips that hold the fenders on or part of the inner fender itself. It's hard to say without seeing those parts.

BTW, you can get some of those clips and fasteners online for much cheaper than at the stealership.
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
cdnroadwarrior
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would also make sure to have inner fenders in snow country. When I installed my aftermarket flat fenders, I made sure to trim the old fenders to keep them in play.
cdnroadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
2008 JK Wrangler 

So would you guys all reccomend against nemesis fenders because I think you remove the rear fender well when you install them?
870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870 View Post
So would you guys all reccomend against nemesis fenders because I think you remove the rear fender well when you install them?
Nemesis reuses the front inner plastic fender wells. The rear can be modified, but I chose to just remove and paint my inner fender well black.

So, with that said, the rear plastic fender well is not a deal breaker.

My two cents...

SC
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
BTW, you can get some of those clips and fasteners online for much cheaper than at the stealership.
Yup, here ya go....the Walmart Superstore of Jeep clips & fasteners. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chr...iners_s/66.htm
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
cdnroadwarrior
2012 JK Wrangler 

The rear inner fender can be trimmed to be reused universally. It's simple once you have done it. Just make sure to find a good how to, but here is the general idea:

Remove the inner fender, it's easy, you'll figure it out. Remove the stock fender. The easy way to do it, if you are not using it again, is to grab one end and lift upward. You will break off the fasteners/clips. Temporarily put back the inner. Take a piece of chalk and trace a line following the edge of the wheel well. Mesure twice and cut wide, test fit and trim again. Repeat if necessairy. Don't lob off the two upper ears entirely. You need to reuse the back portion of them to help secure the whole thing with "Christmas trees" plastic tabs.
cdnroadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #11
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Yup, here ya go....the Walmart Superstore of Jeep clips & fasteners. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chr...iners_s/66.htm
Jackpot! That's the place! Thanks for sharing as it is sure to help the OP and others out!

I carry a bag of these http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chr...n_p/a20887.htm in my glove box as I've been known to break a few on the trail.

Unread 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Smarsh7903

Wow thank you all for the excellent replies! I've been traveling like a madman between Alabama and Colorado for family things and haven't checked this post. I drive a 2012 unlimited sport. Looks like I'll be getting those inner fenders.
Smarsh7903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Thanks for posting, just the site we all need when we break 'em!
Unread 10-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarsh7903 View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the forum, but I have been stalking this site for a while now. I live in Colorado and recently lightly brushed up against an elk while heading to Denver for some business. The encounter left my jeep without two driver side fenders, without two inner fender wells, and with some dents along the hood and doors. I am looking at fixing the damage myself, and I'm having some problems with figuring out how to replace my fenders. First of all, is the fender well absolutely necessary to replace. I've seen where a lot of people have just taken them out without any issues, but I will be in the mountains this winter and I'm worried about salt and snow getting into the body of the jeep. Is this something to be concerned about or am I just over reacting. Also, besides the fender and the fender wells, is there anything I will need to replace the fenders? I found bits of plastic that looked different from the fender after the accident. I would just hate to order all my parts and then be missing something. Thanks for the help!
I'm pretty sure you can get all the stuff you need from Quadratec to install stock flares. Just got their catalog the other day and I noticed they had all the flares, liners & attachment bits listed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.