Replace the "offroad" with switches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace the "offroad" with switches

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
ADK-JK

Replace the "offroad" with switches

Is there a way I can remove the pointless "offroad" thing to the right of these two switches? And replace it with additional switches for my lights. Just looking to see if anyone's done this before and if its possible to find a matching switch that fits in there.

off-road-switches-jeep-wrangler-11-14-11.jpg

ADK-JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
ADK-JK

Sorry I meant "offroad" in the title, autocorrect got me!
ADK-JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

As the owner of a JKX, I don't even have that panel, but I'm curious myself. Seems like you could do it; many folks mount aftermarket switches in that area ...
Unread 11-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

Not sure how much this helps but I came across this thread from a JK owner in another forum.…here is a quote from his post.

Quote:
I know this thread is over a year old but I recently pulled that switch panel out and carefully took it apart to see if the "Offroad" section comes out... it doesn't. Its one-piece with the remaining body that holds the two switches (Sway Bar Disco and Lockers). When you do take it apart though there is a small circuit board that does overlap a little into the "Offroad" section which will make it somewhat difficult to reclaim the blank area for switches. I was thinking that one could be careful and cut out the Offroad section and fabricate a replacement panel that held one (possibly two) mini rocker switch(es)... but you'd have to be creative.
Hope that helps…

Mark
orangecrush03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK-JK View Post
Sorry I meant "offroad" in the title, autocorrect got me!
Fixed it.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Green08

I saw somebody who had toggle switches in that area, they just drilled through it, on top of the off road lettering.
Green08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

If I recall from when I had that side panel off and peeked around in there - there is VERY little room between the dash panel and the metal supports - less than the two inches a switch needs. BUT with an angle grinder, die grinder and drill one could possibly make enough room... but that circuit board overlap mentioned above may be a bit of a problem....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.