Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Repetitive scraping noise while driving

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jdale75 
#1 ·
This weekend I did some wheeling, mostly in mud. While at the park I noticed some light repetitive noise coming from the back end(like a metallic scraping). Since driving home, it has become much worse. I've had some trouble pinpointing which side it's from though. Think I'll have the gf drive real slow while I walk around it next.

The noise frequency is directly proportional to how fast I'm going. At one point, whenever I pressed on the brakes, the noise would stop (even while still rolling). Maybe it was like this before and I didn't notice, but now it feels like I'm getting some grinding when I depress the brakes all the way. It might be in my head, but the brakes also feel a bit mushy. So far everything has pointed to the brakes for me, but it just seems odd that they coincidentally wore out all the way while I was doing some mudding. I only have 12k miles on the jeep.

This might be irrelevant, but I'm new to offroading and I found it strange that in a couple sticky spots I stopped to reverse out and when I hit the brakes, the petal gave resistance and felt like it was "bouncing" back. Not sure how else to describe it or if that's normal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My first step in the AM is to take off both the rear wheels, do some extensive cleaning, and check out the brake pads and rotors. The outboard side of the rotor looks good and I felt back there and the back felt like there might have been a bit more texture to it, but not really sure yet how much texture is too much.

I'm doing more research and I could just take it to the shop tomorrow, but then I don't really learn anything.

Thanks a bunch,

John
08 JK Rubicon
2DR, Auto

See less See more
#2 ·
You may just have a rock or some debris in the rear rotor/brake.

Run out side, start the jeep, apply the e-brake, put in reverse and give it some gas backing up about 5 feet. Release e-brake and pull forward. Try that a couple of times to see if you can slip that rock out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.