Removing the third brake light - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing the third brake light

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 07-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #16
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Nope...didn't change.
Good to know Thanks!

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #17
skiahh
2009 JK Wrangler 

Isn't the 3rd brake light a federal requirement?
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

From an article titled "The Odd World of Third Brake Lights"
Although all new cars must be sold with three lights, not all states require the additional light. This effectively means you can remove the third light in some states or cover it over with something.So, can you get rid of that light growth on the back of your car? Well, every state has different rules and regulations [surprise, surprise], so you'll need to figure out what applies in your area. One easy way is to simply ask an officer. This should preferably be done before you remove the light and are in the middle of being written up for a ticket!

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

the jk brake light is ugly as hell if you have to have a 3rd light by law by state but dont want the big clunker on the back gate, get a plug in hitch style nothing will be said about that, its a third light.
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
the jk brake light is ugly as hell if you have to have a 3rd light by law by state but dont want the big clunker on the back gate, get a plug in hitch style nothing will be said about that, its a third light.
and with an aftermarket carrier and bigger tire, it blocks me from seeing anything directly behind me without leaning left/right.

i want it gone more for the ugliness and rattling then that though.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
cprovost19
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sorry to hijack but you said in maine you have to keep the third brake light? well i just took mine off. can i just rig up a third brake light or does it have to be the stock one?

Check out my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2000-red-rocket-build-slow-1493732/ - red rocket build
cprovost19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprovost19 View Post
sorry to hijack but you said in maine you have to keep the third brake light? well i just took mine off. can i just rig up a third brake light or does it have to be the stock one?
I guess it all depends on the inspector.
If the light is not there, they may not say anything.
If it's there and doesn't work, they are sure to notice it.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Figured this is as good a place to post as any....so I removed my third brake light. Now the passenger side brake and reverse lights are about half as bright as before. There is an open circuit without the 3rd light there. So I was planning to measure the resistance across the old light assembly and wire in a resistor equal to that. Just curious if anyone else ever did this. Thanks!
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
did some checking and found that arizona doesn't require me to keep that pesky rattling eyesore on my rig.

Arizona Revised Statutes

but being a complete idiot with the wiring, will i mess anything up by just cutting the wires to it off and taping the ends and shoving the wire back inside the tailgate?

do i need to be more graceful about it?
Hi, I'm up here in Phoenix, you don't want to run without a third brake light. Not so much because they'll pull you over for a ticket, but because you just gave every police officer probably cause to pull you over. " your brake light is out". Not that you should be scared of that, just saying. And I second the part that if it came from the factory wrt lights, it needs to be there. That, and if someone ever hits you from behind, and gets a lawyer, get ready to play a very expensive game.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #25
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

First off on a 012 no dash lights are going to go on. I have unplugged and even rewired my rear plate light and 3rd light. It all has plugs. no need to cut if you are just loosing it. I run most the time with the 35 strapped to the bed on our 2d hear in Az. But I have a swing out too if needed.

The rear plate on a Jk n Az if you have not knocked it off you wheel easy here. I cut and extended the plate wire into the gate. in the gate there is enough wire about 5 feet to run to swing out, or just leave it in the gate and plug into short to my "hacked third light/plate mod".

the wires coming out that grommet is about 5 feet. When we go on long trails were a 2D is packed for 3-5 days of wheeling in say Rubicon or Dusy. I run it like this.

In AZ in a metro area you may get molested by the police for minor vehicle issues. Were I live hardly, you should see what is considered "street legal" in our county. I see V8 rails/ rock Buggies with Plates and on the street here. No smog checks here.

BUT in a law suite I can see where if you have no third light could be a militating factor and is why I did this mod. COST nothing. I had all the pits to make the metal brackets a few feet of wire. reused all the Jeep connectors. Its plug and play off road.
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Its plug and play. Dont cut it. Undo the inside of the tail gate and unplug it. I did that on my 07 and had no warning lights after i drove it for over a week

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone that cares, the third brake light removal and my theory on using a resistor is worthless. The issue was as simple as overlooking something simple and obvious. The rear tail lights (on a TJ anyway) are grounded through the metal in the housing to the body via the mounting bolts. I had a bad ground on the passenger side due to rust which is what was causing my funky electrical problems. The third brake light is grounded through the factory harness. Why? Because it is a Jeep and doesn't ever make sense! So when I did my LEDs I did the passenger side through the harness and the driver said I had to use a self tapping screw in the rear x-member. Hope this helps someone someday.
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #28
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not looking for an argument - not saying do not remove it - personally I could care less - all that having been said - and no I am not a lawyer and no I cannot cite the Federal Highway Safety regulation - but lets be honest here - Jeep or anyone else would not spend the cash to install them if they were not required to.

I only know anything about this because I was recently informed by an upfitter outfit that does the police vehicles they had to change the way they installed those flash back devices that alternately flash the back up lights and the brake lights to not include the third brake light as the law that requires the third brake light also says that it can ONLY be illuminated when the brakes are applied.

So if God forbid you were ever in a rear end accident where you were struck in the rear - the people who struck you could possibly argue that it was your fault because you lacked the required third brake light.

I am not saying don't remove it - just sharing so you are fully informed and make a decision knowing all the facts - they are apparently required by the some regulation in the Federal Highway Safety Act.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
2013CG-JKU

I cut mine off the factory tire carrier and used a round LED light with a rubber grommet inside the spare (like my old TJ). Just cut the connector off of the factory harness and wired in the new light. if i need my spare i can just pop it out and unplug it.
20131027_182654.jpg   20131027_182740.jpg  
2013CG-JKU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013CG-JKU View Post
I cut mine off the factory tire carrier and used a round LED light with a rubber grommet inside the spare (like my old TJ). Just cut the connector off of the factory harness and wired in the new light. if i need my spare i can just pop it out and unplug it.
Excellent solution!

I guess you just used a hack saw to cut off the neck?

Where did you source the LED and rubber grommet.

I want to do this and if you have part numbers and such that'd be a big help.

Thanks,

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.