Removing steering wheel lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing steering wheel lock

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
kstar37

Removing steering wheel lock

Is it easy to remove or disable the steering wheel lock on a 2007 Wrangler. I want to tow my JK behind my motorhome with the ignition key at OFF. I have an automatic transmission.

Thanks

Quebec City, PQ, Canada

2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
4x4
kstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar37
I want to tow my JK behind my motorhome with the ignition key at OFF.
Why not just tow it as described in the manual?
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
kstar37

Because of battery draw after hours of towing...when it's OFF, it's OFF!

Quebec City, PQ, Canada

4x4
Unread 01-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar37
Because of battery draw after hours of towing...when it's OFF, it's OFF!

Why can't you just disconnect one of the battery cables?
surfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
kstar37

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcaster
Why can't you just disconnect one of the battery cables?
No...I don't want that steering lock...Why a steering lock when there is none on the Grand Cherokee since 2005! Having to leave the ignition key in the ACC position (to keep the steering unlock) for towing behind a RV is really poor engineering design.

Quebec City, PQ, Canada

4x4
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
Joec

Funny, mine's an automatic and it doesn't have a wheel lock.......... I thought that strange when I got it. (2007 Unlimited Rubicon)
2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Greystone, Auto, Power, Tow, Leather seats, Pneumatic Lumbar support, Seat Heat, GENTEX autodim mirror w/ map lights - temp - compass, AEM CAI, COOL TECH antenna mount, THULE Rack, CIBIE, Fuel Door, Grab Handles, Tuffy Trunk/Console/Overhead, Grill mod, Olympic Reversa bars,COOL TECH Magnaflow exhaust, Parking sensors,HESCO Supercharger
1972 C104 Commando - Stock
Joec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Bigdog05

There should not be a battery draw when the steering wheel is just unlocked. Nothing is turned on. I tow mine all the time. I did get a spare key to unlock wheel, but will not run my Jeep.
Bigdog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

On the JK the first click on the ignition switch locks the steering wheel and is "accessory" power on. Things like the radio will work in this position. If you turn the radio off I suspect there is very little power draw. You could tow it all day without any dead battery issues.

Mine is an automatic and contrary to what the owners manual states there is a steering wheel lock! You can test this by removing the key and turning the wheel more than 1/2 turn.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Joec

Wow! There IS a lock! I stand corrected. I just had never turned my wheel that far after ignition off. How about that. I guess I wasn't curious or concerned enough about the (ahem, assumed) lack of a lock to investigate.......
2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Greystone, Auto, Power, Tow, Leather seats, Pneumatic Lumbar support, Seat Heat, GENTEX autodim mirror w/ map lights - temp - compass, AEM CAI, COOL TECH antenna mount, THULE Rack, CIBIE, Fuel Door, Grab Handles, Tuffy Trunk/Console/Overhead, Grill mod, Olympic Reversa bars,COOL TECH Magnaflow exhaust, Parking sensors,HESCO Supercharger
1972 C104 Commando - Stock
Joec is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.