Removing clay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing clay

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Removing clay

After offroading here in Ohio I am getting everything ready for winter meaning no more offroading. The place i went offroading typically had clay water and clay muck that I went through. With clay it is possible to get all the big clumps off but not the stuff stuck to the surface. On my four wheelers i have to scrub it off. Is there any way to get it off without scrubbing the entire underside of the jeep. Washing it with a house does nothing.

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
After offroading here in Ohio I am getting everything ready for winter meaning no more offroading. The place i went offroading typically had clay water and clay muck that I went through. With clay it is possible to get all the big clumps off but not the stuff stuck to the surface. On my four wheelers i have to scrub it off. Is there any way to get it off without scrubbing the entire underside of the jeep. Washing it with a house does nothing.
When I had my TJ, a number of members said they would part their TJ on the front lawn, then put the lawn sprinkler under it and run it for an hour or more (sometimes, they had to move it, so the water would hit critical spots), then immediately, take it to a self car wash to use the high pressure hose to clean it completely.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
ncb

Pressure washer from Lowe's works for me. It wasn't much over a $100 on sale this summer.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
wrh3

A lot of people I know soak down their undercarriage with Armorall tire spray or foam before wheeling and their Jeeps are spotless after some pressure-washing- I plan to try this next time.
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another thing to add is that I undercoated everywhere underneath with rubberized undercoating so it inst just smooth paint.
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I bought a pressure washer with the 3.75 Briggs and Straton engine. I think I paid aprox $275. I did a lot of checking on the net before I bought. The $100 electrics did not get good reviews. Proceed with caution.

Get the worst of the muck off. Then hit it with Simple Green, or some similar product. Hit it again, and it'll look nearly new.

When my jeep comes in in 4 weeks, I plan on crawling under it while it's still new, with a couple of cans of Rustolium, and painting everything that's bare metal. I figure it cannot hurt.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Be careful with spraying Simple Green underneath a Jeep. Simple Green attacks aluminum and corrodes it if not rinsed liberally off with water. .

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

soap and water. if you are going to be getting into that type of material, then you can buy one of the pump up sprayers and fill it with baby oil, then spray your vehicle down with it. When we use to run IMCA modified, this is how we kept or made the clay easier to get off. Actually we used transmission oil mixed with safety clean. The baby oil was for the teams who could afford it.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Flex er out a little bit on wheel ramps and go to town with the pressure washer! The ramps let you get at the undercarriage better as well as the axles and inner fenders

AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Clay silt is in all the mud/sand/muskeg around my parts. It's really annoying to clean off. I've spent a good 2 or 3 hours cleaning the top and sometimes just as much time with the undercarriage. Also, all those skid plates act like shovels, the tube frame fills up with stuff and that cross member in the stock front bumper is always packed with debris. Wand washes, even with their wax stripping pre-wash and soap, always leave me really annoyed after spending $20-30 so now I just use them to blast off the really big stuff before coming home to the wife. A while back I resolved myself to buying a pressure washer. Got a gas powered 2200 psi washer from HD on sale it works pretty good with the 10 degree nozzle. Beware of the 0 degree nozzle, it etches new concrete pretty good so you probably DO NOT want to use it on your rig. Also, don't shoot your hand point blank with the 10 degree nozzle or you will peel your skin off, been there, done that.

For the body I take the pressure washer to it to remove most the big stuff. Once it's soaked well, I switch to a foam cannon for the soap so it doesn't run off right away. While it's on the car, out comes the mitt work in the soap and lift off the clay silt before rinsing it off. Then I squeegee excess water off before using a pile of microfiber cloths to finish the job. If any dirt is left behind, the cloths lift it. If you keep your tub waxed, the dirt washes off more easily but be sure to make sure it's off before waxing or you will seal in a bunch of it, been there, done that. Because of this, I prefer NOT to use 2-in-1 soap and wax products.

For the bottom, plan on getting dirty. Haven't tried the sprinkler trick yet as regular hose and/or washer does well with patience. Be sure to soak/blast all the holes in the frame, skid plates, and don't shy away from areas you think should be OK. A friend of mine told me in his dirt track days he used to WD-40 the entire bottom of his vehicles to mitigate mud buildup. Haven't tried that, sounds messy.

Tip, when doing the engine compartment, DO NOT spray close to the air box. It was 3 valve drains and a pin hole one but is a pain in the but to clean as you need to remove it to get rid of all the junk you probably just sprayed in there.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wonder if this will work directly on rubber undercoating?

http://laughingsquid.com/rust-oleum-...-repel-liquid/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.