Removing 2011 JK Seats - Airbag Issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing 2011 JK Seats - Airbag Issues

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #16
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Technically, the dealer's hands are tied. Asking them to disable a safety feature installed by the manufacturer is bad juju. Why did you buy the side airbag option if you thought you'd ever remove/upgrade the seats?

And what "charge" are you talking about it sending into the seat. If you unplug the seat, remove it, and install an aftermarket seat the airbag service indicator light will come on, and there's no "charge" going anywhere near the seat. The propellant charge (if that's what you're referring to) is installed in the OEM seat, along with the airbag.

The only real problem here is if you have to have vehicle safety inspections in your state to get the vehicle licensed. You WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION if your airbag light is on.
I understand about the safety feature, but it is an optional safety feature, so it the owner decideds to change out the seat, it's his business.

I was refering to the point that he said you could add a resistor to trick the computer into thinking that the air bag is still there. I'm not sure if they fire in any particular way, but If you buckle the seatbelt behind you tricking the computer into thinking that the person is wearing it, I was told it is more dangerous if you get in an accident because the airbags will fire at the wrong time. I would think the dealer would want the safety system working correcty as opposed to incorrectly.

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
rcullet
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hitmoney - Resistor Ohms

HitMoney> Did you connect the two seat airbag leads with a resistor to turn the light out? If so, how many ohms?

My first though was to measure the resistance of the seat airbag once disconnected and use a resistor that matched.

I'll post some results here.

Thanks,

Rick
rcullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

The real questions are: what seats are you getting? are you getting 5 point seat belts? how about some pictures?
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
The real questions are: what seats are you getting? are you getting 5 point seat belts? how about some pictures?
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
My seats are from Twisted Stitch... Vortex-XL model. The XL doesnt recline, but you can get XLR's that do. No sense in reclining mine since there is a harness bar right behind the seat.

I am using M&R Racing Rotary Cam Release 5 point harness but I also adapted the factory seat belt for normal driving and light wheeling. The 5 point belts are really restrictive and don't really allow you to look around much out the door/window when crawling... Use them mainly for the steep climbs/descents and any higher speed stuff. They give you a much more confident and "Safe" feeling than the factory seat belts, that is for sure... they keep you glued to the seat.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcullet View Post
HitMoney> Did you connect the two seat airbag leads with a resistor to turn the light out? If so, how many ohms?

My first though was to measure the resistance of the seat airbag once disconnected and use a resistor that matched.

I'll post some results here.

Thanks,

Rick
That is what I plan to do.. I don't know how many ohms off the top of my head.. I have to look it up on JKO.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

That is one sweet looking interior Hitmoney.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Is that the tuffy full console? If so...can you post up a few good shots of it? Sorry to distract from topic...

Mike
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #24
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Is that the tuffy full console? If so...can you post up a few good shots of it? Sorry to distract from topic...

Mike
No, that is the Max-Bilt console.

And yeah.. I didn't mean to high jack the thread either.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sweet seats. Can I say that on here?

Oh yeah, I'm probably the thread hijacker. Sorry.
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #26
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Its been an option on all JK's.

That is being a little dramatic..

Unplug the connectors under the seat, remove 4 bolts and the bolt holding the seat belt on and out comes the seat... sans explosion.

The dealer isn't going to re-flash ie down grade your saftey features... way to much liability involved in that.

Its not their problem that i removed my factory seats.

I wish mine didn't have the side air bags, but I had no choice.. I wanted the rig and it wasn't a deal breaker for me. A well placed .25 cent resistor will fix the problem.

Luckily, no inspections for me.
I'm seriously NOT being overdramatic. I have worked with some engineers that worked at Autoliv here in Utah. They are inflated by a small explosive charge. A frontal airbag deployed at the wrong time, or accidentally can kill you.

I'm not saying Don't do anything, just be careful.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
air bag disconnect , air bag light , seats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.