Removing 2011 JK Seats - Airbag Issues - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
rcullet
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 2
Removing 2011 JK Seats - Airbag Issues

I am having aftermarket seats installed today. The factory seats had supplemental airbags in them.

I would like to know if anyone knows for certain if the remaining airbags will function properly.

I would also like to know if there is a know solution for the airbag light that will inevitably come on once the factory seats are removed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

rcullet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Ben_88Jeep
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Delta
Posts: 517
Airbags IN the seats???? What for? Are they in the rear of the seats for the back passengers??? Never heard of that.... weird!

I would imagine you'd need to take it into your dealer to have the ECU reprogrammed to work without the additional airbags.
Ben_88Jeep is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish
 
Mol's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_88Jeep View Post
Airbags IN the seats???? What for? Are they in the rear of the seats for the back passengers??? Never heard of that.... weird!

I would imagine you'd need to take it into your dealer to have the ECU reprogrammed to work without the additional airbags.
MANY cars have seat mounted side airbags in both the first and second rows.

To the OP...this is a great questions. If my understanding of airbags is accurate...they should all be wired independently of each other...as they each deploy in different scenarios...front impact, side impact, and severity of crash all determine which airbags deploy...

But this is just my take on the matter, I'm no pro.
Mol is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Vin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,472
The side impact airbags are an option, so in that thinking they should be wired separately from the front airbags, so the computer will just see there are no more side airbags. I'm not a Jeep mechanic nor do I play one onTV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, so you may want to contact Chrysler and verify.
Vin is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Or just yank them out and let us know what happens....

Okay, NOT seriously...DON'T mess with airbags. Talk to a Mechanic first.
paul84043 is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer
 
HITMONEY's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TAMPA
Posts: 797
I took mine out, the light is on but supposedly you can wire a resistor into the plug and fool the computer into thinking its there and no more light.

I Wheel a Wave Killer!
08 Unlimited RubiKong
Pics And Info Of My Junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

YouTube Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FaceBook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HITMONEY is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Vin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I took mine out, the light is on but supposedly you can wire a resistor into the plug and fool the computer into thinking its there and no more light.
Why not take it back to the dealer and get it reflashed?
Vin is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 PM
teamgreen666
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 520
I know the air bag sensors are located under the front passenger seat but I didnt know they had air bags in the seats. Good luck with that one but lets us know what they say about that at the dealer....
teamgreen666 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer
 
HITMONEY's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TAMPA
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Why not take it back to the dealer and get it reflashed?
Cause they won't reflash something like that.

I Wheel a Wave Killer!
08 Unlimited RubiKong
Pics And Info Of My Junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

YouTube Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FaceBook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HITMONEY is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 PM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Some of the new ones have side mounted AirBags.

Don't screw with them, AirBags are loaded with explosives and if messed with can be discharged by an errant static charge. (albeit a hefty one, do you really want to take the chance?) They're very dangerous...
I'm not even saying take it to the dealer, just talk to a qualified, reputable mechanic first....
paul84043 is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Vin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Cause they won't reflash something like that.
Seriously? So they rather the computer think there is an airbag there and send a charge into your seat in the event of an accident?
Vin is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 PM
asknight
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Seriously? So they rather the computer think there is an airbag there and send a charge into your seat in the event of an accident?
Technically, the dealer's hands are tied. Asking them to disable a safety feature installed by the manufacturer is bad juju. Why did you buy the side airbag option if you thought you'd ever remove/upgrade the seats?

And what "charge" are you talking about it sending into the seat. If you unplug the seat, remove it, and install an aftermarket seat the airbag service indicator light will come on, and there's no "charge" going anywhere near the seat. The propellant charge (if that's what you're referring to) is installed in the OEM seat, along with the airbag.

The only real problem here is if you have to have vehicle safety inspections in your state to get the vehicle licensed. You WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION if your airbag light is on.
asknight is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 AM
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer
 
HITMONEY's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TAMPA
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Some of the new ones have side mounted AirBags.

Don't screw with them, AirBags are loaded with explosives and if messed with can be discharged by an errant static charge. (albeit a hefty one, do you really want to take the chance?) They're very dangerous...
I'm not even saying take it to the dealer, just talk to a qualified, reputable mechanic first....
Its been an option on all JK's.

That is being a little dramatic..

Unplug the connectors under the seat, remove 4 bolts and the bolt holding the seat belt on and out comes the seat... sans explosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Seriously? So they rather the computer think there is an airbag there and send a charge into your seat in the event of an accident?
The dealer isn't going to re-flash ie down grade your saftey features... way to much liability involved in that.

Its not their problem that i removed my factory seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Technically, the dealer's hands are tied. Asking them to disable a safety feature installed by the manufacturer is bad juju. Why did you buy the side airbag option if you thought you'd ever remove/upgrade the seats?

And what "charge" are you talking about it sending into the seat. If you unplug the seat, remove it, and install an aftermarket seat the airbag service indicator light will come on, and there's no "charge" going anywhere near the seat. The propellant charge (if that's what you're referring to) is installed in the OEM seat, along with the airbag.

The only real problem here is if you have to have vehicle safety inspections in your state to get the vehicle licensed. You WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION if your airbag light is on.
I wish mine didn't have the side air bags, but I had no choice.. I wanted the rig and it wasn't a deal breaker for me. A well placed .25 cent resistor will fix the problem.

Luckily, no inspections for me.

I Wheel a Wave Killer!
08 Unlimited RubiKong
Pics And Info Of My Junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

YouTube Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FaceBook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HITMONEY is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Warlord2
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 1,952
be sure and take some pics!

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 AM
asknight
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I wish mine didn't have the side air bags, but I had no choice.. I wanted the rig and it wasn't a deal breaker for me. A well placed .25 cent resistor will fix the problem.

Luckily, no inspections for me.


Carry on! You are on the right track and no one can fault you for the reasons you posted.
asknight is offline  
Reply

Tags
air bag disconnect , air bag light , seats

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Help removing entire dash (esp. pass airbag cover) beertinted TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 21 06-10-2010 09:06 PM
Are there any aftermarket seats that allow the use of the passenger side airbag? GotLime TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 13 08-27-2009 08:25 PM
What is the trick to removing airbag? Savvy JK Wrangler Technical Forum 5 06-16-2009 11:54 AM
Airbag Issues 91whiteYJ TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 04-26-2007 09:02 PM
bumper swap/airbag issues? mag162 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 10-26-2006 02:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome