Remove powdercoat from threads? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Remove powdercoat from threads?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_baggly View Post
That's a ridiculous statement covering for shoddy work.
Not quite so. It IS a CYA statement no doubt. Typically the client should assert what he wants covered and not. I deliver with taped (and or nut threaded on) studs and communicate my desires at the start of the job - paint or powder. MOST good med to high volume builders ALSO clearly set expectations (and account for the majority of the shops work load and income) and will probably chase the threads themselves (and are tooled up for the task). Why would I pay the powder coater his marked up labor for one of his guys to do work I don't find necessary? After they have handled it I would want to inspect and chase the threads ANYWAY - I am sure they make money moving the parts as quickly as possible - no TLC on the line (and thus a banged thread can f up the whole job if not caught before final assembly) - so CHASE em all no matter what is what I have learned - the hard way. The onesy twosy clients can get stuck in the middle of that defined norm - especially if identified up front that he is on a budget. I would not pay my employee to do what the client could or should if the client is not going to pay for the extra service! So its not so much the shoddy work as shoddy upfront communication. If completely masking off the stud on all jobs is what you call GOOD work - it comes back to me without the rust protection I just paid good money for (unprotected where I want it) that's shoddy to me. Shoddy management would be paying labor time for unnecessarily masking the threads of all 1000 pieces of customer A's run just to make sure customer B's studs on his single piece are not coated.

When selling parts installed on a vehicle the LAST thing I would want is bright red rust (which forms within hours of delivery wash) showing at the end of every stud on a powder coated part - framed by nice shiney new hardware to bring the eye right to it. May be good enough for OEM - but I am a coachcrafter - not a United Auto Worker. I want it pretty as long as possible. That's why paying more for coating!!!! We were selling $90,000 custom assembled kit cars in the 80's (when even the new vette sold for 40 fully loaded) - the entire Corvette chassis and all related parts (hinges, braces, tanks etc) was disassembled, modified, fitted and sent out to be powder coated. Yes we had to plan where not to coat and where to coat and cut later... ALL fasteners had to look new (including overly showing wrench marks) for final inspection - the detail we expected is probably far from the detail that you allow as "good enough". Not saying your detail is bad - but how far do you go be blemish free - whats your value (mine was not getting socked in the nose for something stupid when roid rager Lyle Alzado picked his unit up - lol).

Every powder coat shop I have used has looked at the part - identified where NOT to put coating (or informed me it goes everywhere unless specified otherwise) and all that before we even discuss color. Poor upfront on their part. But is that shoddy work? I always thought communication was a two way street...

The OP obviously just learned that powder coating is different than paint and it is usually easier that those differences be considered BEFORE the job not after. So I am not really standing up for the powder shop - but neither would I throw them under the bus for doing what powdercoating does best - coat and seal the entire part.

Unread 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did talk to them about making sure all the bolts were taped off. In my copy of the work order it even says "mask all threads" I guess I just assumed that would include the topmost thread.
J33PNSL33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Armed...
image-591135759.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Canadian Tire / Mastercraft / Newfie Speed-N-Sport set???
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33PNSL33P View Post
Armed...
Best thing to come out of the ordeal! Nothing beats being tooled up enough to overcome all obstacles!
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

CT special! Tap and die set was a steal at 90 bucks off, and a cheapie dremel wannabe.
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop

Best thing to come out of the ordeal! Nothing beats being tooled up enough to overcome all obstacles!
You right. Stuff I needed anyway and the sale ends tonight on the stuff I bought. The stars are aligning. There's hope yet for this bumper!
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

what are you afraid of? put the nut on and turn it.

most likey they did not prep the threads, so they have oil and crud on them.
Most powder coats would flake off.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77
waht are you afraid of? put the nut on and turn it.

most likey they did not prep the threads, so they have oil and crud on them.
Spent an hour on one bolt and got nowhere yesterday.tried chipping and sanding to no avail. Not afraid of anything other then putting the bumper on out in the snow
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77 View Post
Or gall into the threads pretty much ruining them and lowering the shear and clamp forces substantially. But hey it FEELS tight...
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cut the top threads off with a angle grinder, at least the ones that are easy to get to, why waste time chipping and stuff for one thread? Pretty easy to make a straight cut from my experience
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92
Cut the top threads off with a angle grinder, at least the ones that are easy to get to, why waste time chipping and stuff for one thread? Pretty easy to make a straight cut from my experience
I'm sure I would make a mess of my fresh powdercoat trying to angle grind inside a bumper
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

That’s one way to add to your tool box. Even though it’s not my bumper or problem I’m still pissed off for you. For the time it will take you to make the threads usable you could have installed the bumper and still had time to watch “Married with Children”.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
J33PNSL33P
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
That’s one way to add to your tool box. Even though it’s not my bumper or problem I’m still pissed off for you. For the time it will take you to make the threads usable you could have installed the bumper and still had time to watch “Married with Children”.
Yup I cancelled all plans. I have 4 out of 16 bolts usable as of right meow.
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33PNSL33P View Post
Yup I cancelled all plans. I have 4 out of 16 bolts usable as of right meow.
Oh, I didn’t realize I was talking to a kitty.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.