Regearing - Which parts to replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Regearing - Which parts to replace?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Meir10

Regearing - Which parts to replace?

Hi Guys,
I want to regear my X to 3.73. Rear axle is D44, Front is D30.
Do I need to replace the Carriers?

Meir10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

no you dont need to change the carriers just to regear, they sell gears for your dana 30 and dana 44
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

are you doing it yourself? if not, just have the shop buy the stuff they need. or tell you what manufacturer they use. more than one person has had problems with gears. installer says it's a bad gear set, manufacturer says it was a bad install....
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does a person need special pullers to chage gears or do all the parts slide out after the axles or removed?
Unread 11-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Does a person need special pullers to chage gears or do all the parts slide out after the axles or removed?
Sounds like your not sure what your doing, I wouldn't touch the gears. If not set-up precisely they will be permanently damaged.
And yes, special tools are required to properly setup the gears.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
Sounds like your not sure what your doing, I wouldn't touch the gears. If not set-up precisely they will be permanently damaged.
x2

I can work on motors and pretty handy around alot of things on a vehicle, but I will not touch gears. Need special tools, guages to check clearances, etc... They are not complex, but you must be very precise which makes it difficult to get right for a novice.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I am not actually doing it. I am just curious how it works.
Unread 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
billycj7

order your gears from Northridge. Tell them what you are doing. Most likely all you need to order is the gears and an install kit. You do not need to order a rebuild kit with the new gears.

Moderators.......let people call crap crap, that way it means more when people say something is Quality
billycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
I am not actually doing it. I am just curious how it works.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
HawaiiJeeperMC
2008 JK Wrangler 

3.73?

That is the lowest I have heard of anyone wanting to regear to... seems pretty low for the money that will be put into it. Just a thought, but you might want to consider something a bit taller if you are putting money into it.
98 Cherokee Classic, favorate vehicle I've ever owned-RIP

I'm thinking of a number between 2 and everything.
HawaiiJeeperMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiJeeperMC
That is the lowest I have heard of anyone wanting to regear to... seems pretty low for the money that will be put into it. Just a thought, but you might want to consider something a bit taller if you are putting money into it.
You mean that is a pretty high/tall gear for the money, and he should re-gear lower.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
HawaiiJeeperMC
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You mean that is a pretty high/tall gear for the money, and he should re-gear lower.

Yeah... I meant numerically low...

Thanks!
98 Cherokee Classic, favorate vehicle I've ever owned-RIP

I'm thinking of a number between 2 and everything.
HawaiiJeeperMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Meir10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiJeeperMC
I know that most people put 4.88 and more.
But I beleive thatfor me 3.73 would be enough for crawling and good for highway.
(Northbridge has only 4.88 and numerically high).
So If anyone changed from 3.21 to 3.73 and higher, I would like to know if a carrier has to be replaced, or just the Ring & Pinion.

Thanks
Meir10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice link SecondTJ. Does a great job of explaining the intricacies. The way the curved teeth actually don't mesh all at once is one thing out of many within the link that I did not realize. It is in no way a job I would ever tackle now that I have read about it. To much consequence of error. I will stick to changing oil, belts, brakes and the like.
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have been a technician for 18 years. 4 of them at a four wheel drive shop and I still have someone else do my gears.....

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.