regear question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > regear question

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
siaby

regear question

Hey guys I've got a 13' unlimited sport with a bb lift and 33' tires. I want more, so I'm going the regear 4.88 route and upgrading to 3-4' lift and 35' tires. Since I've only got 9k miles on odo would I need bearings for the regear or can I use the same ones. Also would this be all I need as far as parts go? http://www.4ws.com/jeep-wrangler-jk-...ront-rear.html

siaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

First, you do not need 3 or 4 inches for 35s, more like 2.5 inches will do. IMO I would have an install done with the Master Install Kits...Make sure you have a "complete" lift kit for what you are doing. Plenty of threads on this so just do some research, no need to repeat here.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

4:56s should be fine for the 35s.
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Kenmore washing machines are the best refrigerators because aliens don't wear hats. (hey everyone else was giving answers that had no context to the questions why not ME?).

You should be able to reuse bearings - but that never been my practice - if you dont have time/money to do it right the first time - where will you find time/money to fix it? So why increase that risk....

Overhaul kit. New bearings in stock and a good inspect would be my lowest shop standard... if you dont have the new bearings in hand - that could influence you to run something you may not otherwise.
Unread 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

Unread 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice.
Unread 11-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
OMG, I love this!!!!
Thanks for the laugh of the day!
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Iím in; this is too damm funny. Good one.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
VTJay
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siaby View Post
Hey guys I've got a 13' unlimited sport with a bb lift and 33' tires. I want more, so I'm going the regear 4.88 route and upgrading to 3-4' lift and 35' tires. Since I've only got 9k miles on odo would I need bearings for the regear or can I use the same ones. Also would this be all I need as far as parts go? http://www.4ws.com/jeep-wrangler-jk-...ront-rear.html
My $.02 reusing bearings is pennywise and pound foolish, the cost difference between the master and base install kits is a small part of the total cost of the project. My feeling? if you do it, do it right the first time. also, you don't need 4 inches of lift for 35's, I was running 35's with no lift for a while and just, (yesterday as a matter of fact) put a 2.5 inch lift (rock krawler x-factor) and there is MORE than enough space for 37's. Anyway, good luck with the build
VTJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I LOVE answers like the above. Makes more profit.

But in my experience, bearings in a D44 rear are good practice at about 80-120k to be replaced. And front at much more than that. And in the oh 500 diffs or so I have done, I would say even at about 80-120k, there still is only min wear. kinda like replacing pinion seal or axle seals at 10-50K, that are not leaking a drop. You are taking a proven part that is not in any way failing and putting another part in its place that quite poss will fail.

Now dont get me wrong, IF I open a diff and the races are pitted in any way or the rollers are pitted/scared, then hell yes replace em.

Again though, please do buy the master kits. There is much better GP on the parts/job if you do...
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
Now dont get me wrong, IF I open a diff and the races are pitted in any way or the rollers are pitted/scared, then hell yes replace em. I am sure if you tell the boss on a Monday morning that you are still waiting for the bearings you had to order to finish the job and commute to work he will understand - its a Jeep thing...

Again though, please do buy the master kits. There is much better GP on the parts/job if you do...
I agree - but as I said - if you DONT have em on a shelf - the temptation\need get the job finished in the scheduled down time may overcome a hesitancy to reuse due to a slight blemish... seen this happen too many times with so many other jobs done by a DIYer... although granted the odds are better with carrier bearings than say for example pilot bearing - found on Sunday during a clutch swap and none in stock locally...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.