Recovery Gear Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Recovery Gear Kit

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
FinallyJO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 73
Recovery Gear Kit

Now that I have my JK 4 door, being a novice 4wheeler, I think it would be a good idea to carry a basic recovery kit since I do not have a winch. From what I have read it seems that a 3"x30' recovery strap, a 3"x10' tree protector strap, and a Hi-Lift jack would be the minimum. As for the jack, which size, 48" or 60" would be better? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

FinallyJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
PLAN D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DENVER,CO.
Posts: 182
I don't mean to sound like a smart a** but you'll need D-Rings to attach the straps. Why the tree protector if you don't have a winch?
Some good things to carry are: First aid kit, extra water, some non-perishable food, hand tools and the knowledge of how to use them, duct tape, bailing wire, extra fuses, vehicle specific repair manual, a charged up cell phone...ect...ect.

But the most important thing to bring is your common since, and if you do have trouble take your time and think through your options before a minor situation turns bad. You would not believe some of the s*** people get themselves into by not thinking.
And alwys have fun and enjoy.
PLAN D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 01:17 AM   #3
Hip2u77
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAN D
I don't mean to sound like a smart a** but you'll need D-Rings to attach the straps. Why the tree protector if you don't have a winch?
. . .

I'd assume his thought was he would use the High Lift as the extractor, hence the need for the tree strap. Though you were right that he does need to throw some D-rings in the kit.

Personally, while you'll get some guys that will disagree with this suggestion, but if you don't have a winch then at the minimum you need a come-a-long, and a good quality chain to use with it, as you don't have the infinite adjustment by using straps, and they stretch. Come-a-longs don't have a lot of cable on them so you want to take advantage of what it does come with.

Honestly, I think you should keep a come-a-long with you even after you get a winch as it's a cheap back-up if the winch gives out.

I'd also suggest a multi-tool. I.E. shovel, pic, axe, etc., and learn how to make a deadman anchor for when you don't have a tree / rock close by.

Just my .02
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,692
in all the times i have wheeled, which would be maybe 3 or 4... i think the basics for a newbie would be a strap or two, and a couple shackles... a hi-lift, not needed but could be useful. if you have a winch, a strap and a couple shackles you are pretty solid.
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
EagerJeeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 330
The 48" Hi-Lift jack and the D-Rings would be great. Also Walmart and Northern Tool have come - alongs for $20.00, although Northern Tool has a better selection if you want to get a stronger one. Northern Tool also has 20' pieces of 3/8th chain with grab hooks in a plastic box for $30.00. Read this thread too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/come-alongs-336658/

Be careful who you listen to! In spite of the good advice already offered in this thread it seems that there are also people who would rather get stuck and walk than carry a come - along.

$70.00 Jack
$20.00 come - along
$60.00 for two chains but one might do
===========
$150.00 total - you can do alot with this combo

And think about getting a strap so someone else can pull you out.

Last edited by EagerJeeper; 11-15-2006 at 06:45 AM..
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
RMeak
Registered User
1955 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Leadville, CO
Posts: 360
Two other tools to consider is a shovel and a axe. Both of which I have found to be extremely useful when wheeling in the early summer in my neck of the woods, just as much as the winch. Using a a Hi-lift as a winch sucks but can be done, a 3-ton comealong is a really good idea, thanks. Nothing worst than getting stuck when the only way out is the way you came in and the winch is on the front of the Jeep, a comealong would be a handy $30 investment.
__________________
1995 XJ
1955 CJ5
RMeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
EagerJeeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2u77
I'd assume his thought was he would use the High Lift as the extractor, hence the need for the tree strap. Though you were right that he does need to throw some D-rings in the kit.

Personally, while you'll get some guys that will disagree with this suggestion, but if you don't have a winch then at the minimum you need a come-a-long, and a good quality chain to use with it, as you don't have the infinite adjustment by using straps, and they stretch. Come-a-longs don't have a lot of cable on them so you want to take advantage of what it does come with.

Honestly, I think you should keep a come-a-long with you even after you get a winch as it's a cheap back-up if the winch gives out.

I'd also suggest a multi-tool. I.E. shovel, pic, axe, etc., and learn how to make a deadman anchor for when you don't have a tree / rock close by.

Just my .02

How do you make a deadman anchor?
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
RMeak
Registered User
1955 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Leadville, CO
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerJeeper
How do you make a deadman anchor?
Dig a hole and bury your spare with a strap attached to it. Of course dig your spare back up because you'll likely tear up a tire on the next obstacle.
__________________
1995 XJ
1955 CJ5
RMeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
famicom21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornish, NH / Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMeak
Dig a hole and bury your spare with a strap attached to it. Of course dig your spare back up because you'll likely tear up a tire on the next obstacle.
whoever thought of that was a genious! thats cool

i have a winch and i carry the following in the back of my rig:
air tank
shovel
1st aid kit
towels
2 come alongs
2 chains
2 tow straps
basic tool kit
duct tape
flares / roadside emergency kit
hat / gloves
2 flashlights
cell phone

plus, i go with a guy with a hydro winch, gps, and a cell.

i figure were pretty well off
__________________
Yellow 86 CJ-7 Red 70 CJ-5
"Out on the road, out 'neath the stars, Feelin' the breeze, passin the cars."
famicom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk
 
neZZr's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AZ eventually...
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMeak
Two other tools to consider is a shovel and a axe. Both of which I have found to be extremely useful when wheeling in the early summer in my neck of the woods, just as much as the winch. Using a a Hi-lift as a winch sucks but can be done, a 3-ton comealong is a really good idea, thanks. Nothing worst than getting stuck when the only way out is the way you came in and the winch is on the front of the Jeep, a comealong would be a handy $30 investment.

I'll agree with that... though it's not ultimately how we got the log out of there, it would have worked eventually

__________________
My Hummer Hole video
SIRA 4x4 club

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
2stoned
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 8
Nice picture...

I see you have the the adjustment handtool for your new ecofriendly woodJack
2stoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?
 
NaeKid's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
I'll agree with that... though it's not ultimately how we got the log out of there, it would have worked eventually
Awesome picture!!!

Too bad you didn't have a high-lift handy - it might have saved you alot of banging around with a hatchet! Any damage to the tub from that log?
__________________
Hello, my name is Vance and I am a Jeepaholic.
Its better to be naked with your friends, than to be clothed with your enemies
  • From street to trail, '88 YJ on 38" tires does it all well
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -


NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk
 
neZZr's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AZ eventually...
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid
Awesome picture!!!

Too bad you didn't have a high-lift handy - it might have saved you alot of banging around with a hatchet! Any damage to the tub from that log?
We did have a hilift. But the ground was very muddy, and though it doesn't look like it, I was pointed down a short steep hill... we didn't feel good about using a hilift in that situation. It did tweak the rear edge of the rocker, and crunched some of the metal right in front of the wheelwell. We ended up just letting the air out and yanking it out.

__________________
My Hummer Hole video
SIRA 4x4 club

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
yellj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,349
I would pass on the Hi Lift, get a good 12 ton bottle jack, a lot safer, for 99.99% of the situations this will serve you fine, safer and easier to store, for that matter you could probably get by with you stock jack 99% of the time.
__________________
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416


www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #15
JoeBlevins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellj
I would pass on the Hi Lift, get a good 12 ton bottle jack, a lot safer, for 99.99% of the situations this will serve you fine, safer and easier to store, for that matter you could probably get by with you stock jack 99% of the time.
+1 on this. Along with the bottle jack you will need a good piece of wood to place under the bottle jack. Maybe 1'x1'x2''. Harbor Freight has some cheapies.

Bottle Jack is also a lot easier to use.

And HF also offers an electric impact wrench. I have had mine for 2+ years, love it. Just plug it in cig lighter, or directly to the battery. I think it was 25 bucks on sale.
JoeBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.