Recommendations for drivetrain and body armor on new JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Recommendations for drivetrain and body armor on new JK

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Recommendations for drivetrain and body armor on new JK

My apologies if there is a good thread already on intro to body armor. I have a 2013 JK Sport, and plan to take it off-road (mild to moderate trails, but nothing too serious - yet). I know one trail park recommends rock sliders, for example. In terms having a proper level of protection, what should I add to my JK before hitting the trails (I'm not exactly sure what comes stock in terms of skid plates or if the stock protection is any good)? In addition to the specific accessories, are there specific brands that you feel are best?

Thanks for the help

invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rocker protection a must.

You have the auto ? a front motor trans skid. Mostly for the trans that new auto has a cooler line that crosses the pan. rip that off its DOA.

Jk fenders are so weak you rip them off by hand, as are ALL plastic ones. This is optional as it its more for trails that you will be using the fenders as slidders. A good set of metal ones is going get expensive, not all metal are good as well. plan on the 1k+-

Evap skid. break that its expensive.

Dif covers.

The list could go on and on depending on how and were you wheel.

But just rockers will get you going. I really don't think you will get into medium+ trails to soon as stock 32"s and lack of lockers will limit what and where you can get. Pluss its new, few people would wheel a new jeep to hard, at least at first. But trail rating very so much state to state. here stockers get in trouble once it gets over 3.5( we rate 1-5 as well as 1-10) I like 1--5. just to many varibles with the 1-10. I have been on 9:s in states that here would be a 3+ at most. 4"s here will damage a Jeep real fast and 5"s are mostly trail rigs or purpose built crawlers on trailers.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Rocker protection a must.

You have the auto ? a front motor trans skid. Mostly for the trans that new auto has a cooler line that crosses the pan. rip that off its DOA.

Jk fenders are so weak you rip them off by hand, as are ALL plastic ones. This is optional as it its more for trails that you will be using the fenders as slidders. A good set of metal ones is going get expensive, not all metal are good as well. plan on the 1k+-

Evap skid. break that its expensive.

Dif covers.

The list could go on and on depending on how and were you wheel.

But just rockers will get you going. I really don't think you will get into medium+ trails to soon as stock 32"s and lack of lockers will limit what and where you can get. Pluss its new, few people would wheel a new jeep to hard, at least at first. But trail rating very so much state to state. here stockers get in trouble once it gets over 3.5( we rate 1-5 as well as 1-10) I like 1--5. just to many varibles with the 1-10. I have been on 9:s in states that here would be a 3+ at most. 4"s here will damage a Jeep real fast and 5"s are mostly trail rigs or purpose built crawlers on trailers.
Thanks, that is really helpful. I have a manual transmission--not sure it matters other than it appears I have one less thing to protect?

I agree with your comments on the type of trails I will be on. I am well aware of my beginner skill level and will choose appropriate trails.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Depends how you will wheel it. If it just mud and sand than dont worry about rocker protection, but if you get into rocks than worry.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rock rails protect from more than just rocks. If you get into mud and trees they will save you a lot of damage from sliding sideways into a tree.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Rock rails protect from more than just rocks. If you get into mud and trees they will save you a lot of damage from sliding sideways into a tree.
I know that, i guess i should have gone into more details. I was picturing mudding in an open field.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

I prefer flares that bend and flex rather than metal ones that will transfer force into the body panels.

I have pivoted off my xenon flares with no damage to the body.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
I prefer flares that bend and flex rather than metal ones that will transfer force into the body panels.

I've run both and prefer metal. I got tired of ripping the Xenon flares off my LJ and replaced them with metal. Love the metal flares and they take plenty of abuse. A hit big enough to cause damage to the panel under the metal flare will crush a plastic fender and still cause damage.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Plenty of good quality protection out there that won't break the bank. I am partial to ACE, River Raider Offroad and JCR. ACE and JCR are affortable but RROR can get up there.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to add rock rails (I really like the look of the MetalCloak rails, btw). I guess the upside to damage is that I get to replace the parts with something better!
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Some kind of oil skid too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post

Good metal ones transfer the weight to the inner tub and front end frame loop. Plastic will bend or just rip right off. You have not put the full weigh of the jeep against rocks isee. Or you would be in need of a body shop.

Pluss I can stand on mine, JUMP up and down on them. Lean into a rock.

I can not even count the damage seen from plastic after market ones. Mall rated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.