recommend me a good torque wrench that's accurate and won't break the bank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > recommend me a good torque wrench that's accurate and won't break the bank

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

recommend me a good torque wrench that's accurate and won't break the bank

Mods move as necessary, but I need a good, reliable torque wrench, preferably one that won't break the bank. Open to suggestions! Thanks guys!

xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Jeepjet
2012 JK Wrangler 

Craftsmen/Sears they will be fine, I use a Snap-On at work but that's a bit different. The one I use at work has to be calibrated. In the garage I have a Craftsmen....79/89 bucks.
2012 JK Sport, Deep Cherry Red , 3.6 Penastar, 5 spd. auto, 3:21's, 285/70x17 DuraTrac's , Teraflex leveling kit, U.S. Alloy 1.5 spacers, ACE rock sliders, Rugged Ridge front dif skid, quadratec mats, K&N element,+80 headlamps...
Jeepjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Craftsman, works great and will not break the bank. Remember to read instructions if you have never owned one.
ferninaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
ncb

I purchased a Pittsburg torque wrench at Harbor Freight with a coupon and it was around $40. I have it calibrated every 12 months with the Snap-On and Mac wrenches I use on the jet I maintain and it has checked in tolerance for three years now. The calibrating company I use told me the Pittsburg wrenches are ok for light use and must be used properly to make it last. I used it during the lift install and I torque the track bar every oil change. So far it's been good for $40. It's the 75-150 ft-lb. model.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

For most apps a digi-torque (aka - click torque, or micrometer torque - one that dials in like a micrometer) is fine. It is usually not so much actual torque (you have about a 5% margin on tight tolerance specs) - its being EQUALLY torqed that matters most! However keep in mind that as you fall past the click you bang into the torque - so from one bolt to the next can be 1-2 lbs difference (well within tolerance) depending on how fast you can employ the brakes on your arm (and if you are PUSHING as you torque one and pulling as you torque another you are going to be at the wide end of that difference). For precision (such as engine assembly) a hydraulic dial type is best, for removeing bolts (and knowing how tight the WERE as you do so) or very seldom needed a beam type is best (like any spring the beam style does go off in accuracy with more use - the click type does as well but the spring is not fully loaded like a beam - as you turn the dial you are changing the fulcrum and shortening the effective spring length while a beam type always uses the entire length of spring).

Dials take more cycles before being going out (BUT with super precision comes fewer cycles before needed checked), mikes comes in second and beams - well beams can be off right out of the box - but every 100 cycles they should be checked.
NEVER use a click type to break loose bolts - or torque left threads - yes the ratchet head goes either way - thats simply because they employ an existing tool part when manufacturing them.

Breaking the bank is less important than breaking your stuff - and right tool for the right job really comes into the decision. Plan to spend about 75-100.00 on a mike, 150-250 on a dial and ~35 on a beam. Electronics are typically the same as a dial - just using a different method to display the viscous load. My 85.00 crafstman mike has served me well - I did splurge on the dial at 550 - but its a 5000 cycle @2% margin wrench. thats about 400 engine assemblies between calibs!
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.