Recall Or Not? Electrical Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Recall Or Not? Electrical Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
RayTex
2008 JK Wrangler 

Recall Or Not? Electrical Issue

JK 2008 Wrangler Sport 38,500 miles. Sorry for this being so lengthy, but this is the cut and pasted complaint that I have submitted to the NHTSA. After reading numerous similar complaints, I realize now that is is a bigger problem than Chrysler/Jeep wants to admit. I have had my Dream Ride for 11 months and it has become my nightmare! I bought used, at 28,000 miles, to save some cash. Lessons learned! All feedback is much appreciative!

+++The first of many times happened one morning as I was getting into vehicle. The horn, windshield wipers, lights and instrument indicator lights all activated. The wipers sprayed all the fluid in the reservoir. I could not turn these off. After disconnecting the battery, the engine would not crank for some time and the horn no longer worked. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty horn and replaced the clock spring, horn and a fuse. A few weeks later, while driving, the horn, wipers and lights all came on and I could not turn these off! Even after removing the key, the engine and all the above would not shut off! Once again, I had to disconnect the battery in order to shut these components off. This has happened numerous times since! Now the airbag light comes on periodically! The dealership is now saying the problem is with the TIPM. There seems to be a backorder of more than 400+ of these components. Every week that goes by, the dealership says that the ETA has been moved back a week and they will call me when it gets in. To the dealer's credit (after I went a little crazy in the manager's office), they have agreed to pay for the est. cost of $600. But, in the meantime, is this vehicle safe to drive? Shouldn't there be a recall since there are 400+ of these parts on backorder? Today, I called Chrysler Customer Service and they told me that they would document this. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! After insisting that something else be done, I was told that a Service Manager would be contacting me tomorrow. We will see. In the meantime.......I am somewhat fearful of driving my Jeep for the simple reason of the unknown. Not to mention the embarrassment that this brings when stopped at a busy intersection and my horn and wipers start blaring uncontrollably. This must be stopped and Chrysler should declare a recall!+++

RayTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

After almost 4 years of owning a JK and cruising multiple Jeep forums, I have never heard of this problem. I realize that 400 units sounds a lot but compared to the amount of Jeeps sold that is a very, very small percentage. Just because there are 400+ units on back order doesn't mean they all have your problem or that they are all from Wranglers.
Sorry to hear about your dilemma and hope you get this sorted out quickly. Kudos to your dealer for helping you as well.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
XJ_MUDDYBUDDY
1994 XJ Cherokee 

You bought this jeep used. It is possible that there are many electrical issues, I bought my 07 jku used and everything was fine with it for months.One beautiful summer day I went top/doorless, no chance of rain in the forecast.

At 3am that evening I heard my horn blaring, ran out front and , shocker, the weatherman was wrong. It was pouring, horn blaring, wipers going, headlights flashing... Neighbors hating me.

I disconnected battery and went to bed. Pulled all my carpet and cleaned the next day, dried everything out and thought I was good to go, nope. Same thing for the next 2 nights, surprisingly between 2 and 3 am both times. So I pulled my horn fuse.

Actually forgot about it for a week or so until I got cut off and tried to honk. Went home n replaced fuses, haven't had an issue since. LONG story, but maybe it was rained on and you have some shorts in the dash, steering column etc.. Sorry for the long post but I'm just sitting in my work truck on the way home..... Bored
XJ_MUDDYBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've seen some TIPM issues here, but nothing widespread enough that I thought it should have been a recall. Even assuming that all 400 of those units represent your exact issue, that's 400 units out of what? Millions?

Hope the dealer can fix you up.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
RayTex
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks y'all for the input. Chrysler is saying that they will try and expedite the delivery of the part.
RayTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , horn , recall , tipm , wipers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.