Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear tires are rubbing with 35" tires, spacers, and 4" lift

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  secretspy711 
#1 ·
Can someone show me some pictures of what I need to do, to fix my tire rubbing problem? Do I need bump-stops? Bump stop extensions? Adjustable? Fixed length? (what length?)

I have:
2007 JKU X
17" rims from a Rubicon,
315/70R17 TreadWright Guard Dog tires,
Spacers (I think they are 1 1/4" or 1 1/2", I'm not sure right now),
4" Rough Country lift

I get some rubbing on the rear wheel-wells at extreme articulation (swaybar is not disconnected).

The "will it rub" page says they won't rub... but there is definitely rubbing.

#2 ·
Get wheels with the proper backspacing. At least 4.5 inches. Problem solved

#3 ·
With the spacers you have the wheels should not be the problem.
When you increase the tire size bump-stop extensions of at-least half the difference from stock tires to the larger tires should be used. Stock tires are about 32" and going to 35" tires means you need 1-1/2" or more extensions to keep the tires out of the wells.
There are many available, here is one example for the rear > http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-rear-lower-bumpstop-sold-in-pairs-as-a-kit.html
For the front > http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-front-upper-bumpstop.html
:tea:

#4 ·
I had the same problem. Bought a set of extended bumpstops and now the tire stops just shy of rubbing my fender. These are the ones I went with http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=TF-1954700 cheap and simple but they do the job.

Edit: doh! Just noticed that JLC has a link to the same ones haha. Nothing wrong with reconfirmation I suppose.

#5 ·
Don't buy Rough Country.

Does Rough Country say that 35's won't rub? Did you look into that before you bought the lift? If they aren't supposed to rub, call Rough Country.

Is it rubbing the top of the fender or at the pinch seam?

#7 ·
Thank you JLC and Robbish.

It is really close to the pinch seam but not touching it. It's rubbing the fender just above that.

I, for one, think the quality of my RC lift is great. It was newly installed on the Jeep when I bought it. It does not have an adjustable trackbar, but it doesn't need one. It has relocation brackets. Also, RC is only going to say what size tire they DEVELOPED the kit with, not a guarantee of if it will rub or won't. For the record, from RC's website: "This suspension system was developed using a 35X12.50X17 tire with 4.5" to 4.75" of back spacing on aftermarket wheels. Stock wheels can be used with this kit with up to a 35x12.5 tire, [disclaimer about various tire designs could rub anyway]"

#9 ·
The entire quote from RC:

This suspension system was developed using a 35X12.50X17 tire with 4.5” to 4.75” of back spacing on aftermarket
wheels. Stock wheels can be used with this kit with up to a 35x12.5 tire, but different tire manufactures designs may result in a tire width that could result in contact with the lower control arm and/or front sway bar link in a sharp turn. Please consult with your tire and wheel expert before purchasing. Also note that if wider tires are desired, offset wheels will be
required.

It's all talking about width. You said you are having a height issue, correct? You need to extend your bumpstops. Did you already do that or was the extension you talked about in the beginning a spacer for the rim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.