Rear spring unseated - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear spring unseated

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Rear spring unseated

Heard a funny noise a couple of times today in the rear left side of my Jeep. Was pretty sure it had something to do with the suspension. After lying under the Jeep for a while it finally showed itself. The top of the rear left spring was off its seat. Since I have yet had it off road, I was thinking that maybe that happened while my gears were getting installed. Is that possible? Any comments?

Forgot the pic. here it is.

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Alaska-HWY JK

Maybe they lifted your Jeep by the frame rails and at full droop they unseated. I have a Teraflex lift and there is a guide on the top spacer about Three inches long to recenter the spring if this happens, also has lower spring retainers. I'd look into if I were you, you don't want to unseat them offroad.

Did you're gearing get any better? I got my first drive in with the5:13's today, they seem better. I still have to reset my Hypertech Max Energy though.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
Maybe they lifted your Jeep by the frame rails and at full droop they unseated. I have a Teraflex lift and there is a guide on the top spacer about Three inches long to recenter the spring if this happens, also has lower spring retainers. I'd look into if I were you, you don't want to unseat them offroad.

Did you're gearing get any better? I got my first drive in with the5:13's today, they seem better. I still have to reset my Hypertech Max Energy though.
Yup, thatís how they did it. Iíll definitely look into spring retainers. Iíll checkout the TeraFlex top spacer that you have and see if it will work with my set-up. Thanks.

The 5.13ís are kinda ok but on the freeway the Jeep still has a problem with any sort of wind or incline. Although a lot of people here are happy and satisfied with their results with similar set-ups as mine, I am not. How bout you?
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

AEV sells a lift without spring retainers?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thatís the way mine came. Do all the others come with retainers?
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Yup, thatís how they did it. Iíll definitely look into spring retainers. Iíll checkout the TeraFlex top spacer that you have and see if it will work with my set-up. Thanks.

The 5.13ís are kinda ok but on the freeway the Jeep still has a problem with any sort of wind or incline. Although a lot of people here are happy and satisfied with their results with similar set-ups as mine, I am not. How bout you?
I cant wait for these folks to chime in on this one!! LOL
Thats like a knife through the heart to some on here, LOL
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

My teraflex came with spring retainers. I thought AEV was top of the line. I would have thought they nailed that detail.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

no one has anything to say about the 513s? LOL
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
We do not give in to provocation!!!

Installing lower gear ratios will not give you the power that the motor can't provide.
If the expectations of the OP were not met, no form of rhetoric (positive or negative) is going to help him!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
crusty1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post

Sounds like their is an Engine swap in your future!
www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

first regarding spring retainers. My lift (RC) does not have any spring retainers. I've had mine flex'd out many times, and never unseated the spring. The shocks should limit the droop to the point where the spring does not unseat.

2nd regarding the 5.13's- I have not run into a hard enough headwind to cause any issues. I have run into hills that were an issue. What I have come to the realization of is if I'm running highway and see a long hill (that I know will cause an issue), I will watch my speed as I hit the hill. The instant I lose 2mph, I flick the O/D off. I then have no problem getting back to the set speed and maintaining it. It is important to be able to realize when a hill is going to be an issue, and turn the O/D off. If you're running cruise control and you wait for the computer to downshift, it will happen too late. It will allow the speed to drop 5mph before it will do anything. By that point you've lost too much momentum and too many RPM's, and are now in a losing battle. A lot of times you won't be capable of getting back to speed until you top the hill.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I would think that the more droop you have the better the performance off-road. In most incidences the shock does limit the droop so as to keep your spring in place. Ideally itís not the best option, limiting straps are. Anyhow, obviously I have longer travel shocks than you. What Iím optioning out to do is install TeraFlex 1/2" Rear Guide & Spacer. Alaska-HWY JK uses and suggested them and it seems to be a good choice. Theyíre on order as of today. Thanks Alaska-HWY JK.

Iím quite familiar with OD button. I used it a lot before the lift and of course even more with the larger tires. You donít say at what speed youíre trying to retain as you climb those hills. If youíre trying to go 80mph with 5.13ís then your engine will be screaming around 4,000 rpmís plus. Of course I could also literally floor the skinny pedal but not such a great idea. Your correct in saying that waiting to long to keep your speed up as you approach a hill will result in disappointment. Damm engine and Trans.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Sounds like their is an Engine swap in your future!
God, I wish I had the money. If I did I would not hesitate.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

FYI - pic of TeraFlex rear top spacer (note: I inserter my stock (dirty) spacer into the TeraFlex spacer):
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
Will 5.13 gears Rub or do I need a lift

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.