Rear Seat Innards + Tuffy Security - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Seat Innards + Tuffy Security

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 10-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rear Seat Innards + Tuffy Security

2012 JK 2dr

I'm having a problem with my Tuffy tailgate security enclosure. It seems to rub the back of the rear seat in one location. And is rubbing a whole in the carpet of the seat.

I feel a bump and a wire in the seat at the location where the bend of the Tuffy enclosure meets the left and right ends of the seat.

So does anyone have any pics of the rear seat with the back carpet removed?
Or a pdf of a diagram showing how the seat is put together?

I've attached some pics of the left side of the back sear where the rubbing occurs.

FIX:
I folded the seat down and unzipped a zipper at the bottom of the seat and opened up the carpet backing of the seat.
Inside there is a wire that runs from the middle of each side of the seat to the top of the seat where the release is (#13 in the diagram). The wire is attached to a metal rod that runs vertical with a plastic clip (#5 in the diagram). The left side clip was attached on the rod where there is a bend (see #5 in the diagram for bend). I slide the plastic clip up the rod to the top of the seat. The right side was already up there, so I pushed it up a half inch more.
This wire is what is rubbing against my Tuffy enclosure and rubbing a hole in the carpet.
Now that I moved it up, it should just clear the area where the Tuffy enclosure and back of the seat meet.

***Edited to include the fix and to add a pic of a diagram of the seat.

img_4873.jpg

img_4874.jpg

img_4875.jpg

seat.jpg

nathanmilsaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Morb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine doesn't touch. '12 JKU...I pulled it out after a month and it's been sitting in my garage ever since.
Morb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

That doesn’t seem right for the box to be rubbing against your seat like that at all. Is there any amount of adjustment of the box that you can do? Another question I have is it using factory points (Jeep) to mount it or did you have make your own to secure it to the tub?

One more; have you contacted Tuffy about the problem you’re having and if so what did they have to say?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

The JKU's have a space at the back, as they are longer.
Basically, Tuffy said they haven't ever seen this issue so can't really help (at least that was my take on their reply). Said the rear seat could me the problem. But to keep them informed if I figure out what's wrong.
It is installed using the manufacturer's installation method. Nothing unusual.

I guess I could take it out and reinstall it. But I don't really see how it could be installed any differently.
It's been installed since August.
Maybe I can re-bend the metal so the angle is a little different. But that in turn would push it closer on the tailgate side, so maybe not a good idea.
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

So then are you saying that it was made for the JKU’s and not the 2dr’s and that’s the problem?
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I just took a look at Tuffy’s web site and it says that for use with the 2drs the rear seat needs to be removed. Not sure if you were aware of that.
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wasn't saying that. The same piece is made for the 2dr and 4dr. The 4dr has more space behind the rear seat, so it's not gonna touch it.
Here is the product. It works with the rear seat. I'm not sure what you were looking at.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-446-t...enclosure.aspx
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
funmachine

Have you modded the seats with washers on the seat brackets? If you did the front brackets this way it would lean the seat back enough to possibly rub.. If not maybe you could do the opposite?! Add washers to the rear brackets this would in theory raise the back of the seat and allow room to not rub.
funmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have not checked for washers in the front. I didn't see any in the back. But that is a good idea to check for and add to the back as a solution.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
completenoob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Which model do you have? This product says the rear seat needs to be removed in a 2 door:
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-495-t...enclosure.aspx
completenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
ncb

OP has the small enclosure. Not the big one that fits in the four door, or the two door with the back seat out. It's a smaller unit that fits behind the back seat in a two door.
image-325109703.jpg

ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone have a pdf of a diagram of how the rear seat is put together?
You know, those cool drawings where everything is exploded? Typically found in a Service Manual.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmilsaps View Post
I wasn't saying that. The same piece is made for the 2dr and 4dr. The 4dr has more space behind the rear seat, so it's not gonna touch it.
Here is the product. It works with the rear seat. I'm not sure what you were looking at.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-446-t...enclosure.aspx
I must have been looking at the wrong year. Here is part of the description from the Tuffy site. Since yours is a ’12 then of course this doesn’t apply, my bad.

“Fits:
Jeep Wrangler JK ‘07 - ‘10 (with or without OEM sub woofer and OEM hard or soft top) 4-Door models & 2-Door models (with rear seat removed)”
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
nathanmilsaps
2012 JK Wrangler 

I folded the seat down and unzipped a zipper at the bottom of the seat and opened up the carpet backing of the seat.
Inside there is a wire that runs from the middle of each side of the seat to the top of the seat where the release is. The wire is attached to a metal rod that runs vertical with a plastic clip. The left side clip was attached on the rod where there is a bend (see picture for bend). I slide the plastic clip up the rod to the top of the seat. The right side was already up there, so I pushed it up a half inch more.
This wire is what is rubbing against my Tuffy enclosure and rubbing a hole in the carpet.
Now that I moved it up, it should just clear the area where the Tuffy enclosure and back of the seat meet.

Yay.
img_4986.jpg

Unread 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Good trouble shooting and nice fix.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.