Rear Parking sensors in a JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Parking sensors in a JK

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
jdrambo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Rear Parking sensors in a JK

Has anyone tried putting back up sensors in their factory bumper. My wife has a 2008 GC with the camera and sensors and when she borrows my wrangler she seems to back into crap.

Please none of the answers like then dont let her drive it, etc. i am looking to see if it is possible and what kit people may have used

jdrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is a band-aid for an underlying problem. Your wife needs to pay attention when driving
Unread 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...A4224A0A0.aspx

This looks like it would work. All you'd probably have to do is drill a few holes in the rear bumper to mount the sensors then wire it all up.
rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrambo View Post
Has anyone tried putting back up sensors in their factory bumper. My wife has a 2008 GC with the camera and sensors and when she borrows my wrangler she seems to back into crap.

Please none of the answers like then dont let her drive it, etc. i am looking to see if it is possible and what kit people may have used
I have been asked to restrain from answering your problem. Good luck and don't skimp on you insurance!

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Erick_rdz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjt36 View Post
http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...A4224A0A0.aspx

This looks like it would work. All you'd probably have to do is drill a few holes in the rear bumper to mount the sensors then wire it all up.
I have been thinking on making this mod as well, however I used to drive a cadillac and when there was something on top of the sensors (Bike rack) but not blocking the sensors, the alarm will go off. So what I am trying to say, having the spare tire on the back I am afraid it will cause the same thing.

Good Luck!!! and Please let me know how it turns out.

E
Erick_rdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

there are quite a few back-up cameras on the market. All are pretty simple to mount and install. Why not get one of those?

I'm considering replacing my rear view mirror with one of those. Right now my rear view mirror is useless as all it does is tell me that my spare is still there

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
jdrambo
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's funny your brought up the rear view mirrow one. I was just looking at the one with the lcd screen right in the mirrow. That may be a good option.
I will keep you posted when i actually pull the trigger on it.

To answer yes i have good insurance coverage, this is why she drives the gc primarily with sensors and the backup camera.
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Shoot, my wife has the rear sensors AND a camera on her Grand, and still managed to back into something.

(And since I was out with friends while she had two screaming kids in the back seat at the grocery store distracting her, I NEVER make an issue of it. )

I like the camera idea better myself. Especially if I can light it up as needed on the trail without tying it to reverse.
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Get the backup camers, they usually sell for $75 bucks and are wireless, you just need 12vdc for the power

I've had one on my trailer license plate for a couple years and it's priceless for backing up my trailer in rocks/logs/rivers/cliffs

installation is easy and the monitor, although small (3in) screen has adjustment buttons for clarity/angle/color/pwr-etc

Quote:
JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

I recently added the backup camera when I did the lockpick with the mygig and while I normally tend to forget about it and just turn around and try and see out the few inches my spare doesn't block, when I've had to parallel park in a real tight space it's really come in handy. I'd imagine with kids around it would be nice to have since depending on age they're easy to miss. So rather than sensors I'd look into the backup camera.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
JohnKay
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just installed a backup sensor couple of days ago. It's by company called vr3 model # VRPS100. hxxp://roadmasterusa.com/index.php?page=back-up-cameras

Basically it's a foil type strip that you stick behind the bumper and attached to a sensor module and a buzzer. No need to drill the holes. All you do is remove the rear bumper 6 screws (2 on each side corner and 2 in the middle) stick the tape through the whole bumper on the backside and attach the module and buzzer and wire with backup lights +12 and ground.
sorry I didn't take pics but installation is preety easy. bought it at local wally for 30 bucks. It seems to function ok. It doesn't beep until your too close to the obstruction(like about 1-2 feet) I think those 4 backup sensors kit that you drill in the bumper may be better functionality. I've seen the drill type at ebay for under $40.
JohnKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
jdrambo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Get the backup camers, they usually sell for $75 bucks and are wireless, you just need 12vdc for the power

I've had one on my trailer license plate for a couple years and it's priceless for backing up my trailer in rocks/logs/rivers/cliffs

installation is easy and the monitor, although small (3in) screen has adjustment buttons for clarity/angle/color/pwr-etc

JIMBO

how is the video clarity on the wireless unit?
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Being that small, it's crystal clear, unless it's facing the sun, then it gets hairy, otherwise, rain/fog/blood/-it's OK

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you seen this back-up camera system?

http://www.laipac.com/multimedia-rear-mirror.htm
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

wow- check this one out- mirror, camera, sensors all in one

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SB868-4?meta=FRG

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.