post #1 of Old 01-04-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Jmm20010
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rear End Squeak/Chirp

Hey guys,
I have a 2007 JK with a lift and 35s. Recently I have noticed an embarrassing squeak or chirp coming from the rear end more-so the right then left side. It mainly happens when the vehicle goes up or side to side, I can press the rear end down and hear nothing but when I let go it squeaks on the way up. Sound appears to be coming from the top of the shock area.

Thanks

post #2 of Old 01-04-2016, 05:47 PM
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's your spare tire. How much did you eat during the holidays?

I have attention defiiiii hey is that a rabbit?

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
post #3 of Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Jmm20010
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am 99% sure it's not the spare as that's back mounted. I am pretty sure its the shocks in some way but I was just wondering if anybody has had this issue because I had it happen on a lifted 2005 Tacoma back in 08 except water seemed to make that one better. I have been PB Blasting the heck out the shocks though.
post #4 of Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 PM
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you have heim joints on the sway bar links, than that is what is causing the noise. i'll hit mine with some silicone spray when it does it.

89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
post #5 of Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have aftermarket control arms or other aftermarket suspension and steering components, break out the grease gun and give everything a few pumps.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #6 of Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

My shocks were making a similar sound on my 2009 when I bought it. They thought something was wrong with the Jeep and couldn't diagnose it so I got almost $5k off of blue book because of this... It was the shock bolts were loose and the metal bushings inside the shock mounts were rubbing inside the mounts on the axle making the squeak. That or sway bar bushings is my bet....
post #7 of Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm20010 View Post
Hey guys,
I have a 2007 JK with a lift and 35s. Recently I have noticed an embarrassing squeak or chirp coming from the rear end more-so the right then left side. It mainly happens when the vehicle goes up or side to side, I can press the rear end down and hear nothing but when I let go it squeaks on the way up. Sound appears to be coming from the top of the shock area.

Thanks
Hey Jmm20010,

TSB 03-003-07 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Squeal-Like Sound From Front Axle Pinion Gear Flange And Seal
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the front axle pinion gear flange slinger and seal.
MODELS:
2007 (JK) Wrangler
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a squeal-like sound from the front axle. The sound will
increase or decrease with vehicle speed. The sound may be more noticeable at low
vehicle and engine speeds. This condition may be due to an interference between the front
axle pinion gear seal and the pinion gear flange oil slinger.
post #8 of Old 01-05-2016, 12:22 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm20010 View Post
I have been PB Blasting the heck out the shocks though.
Not a good move - PB is a primarily a penetrant - not a lubricant alone - and will penetrate into the rubber bushings, softening them and severely shortening their life expectancy...
The easy ones - Check all bushings for signs of wear - sway bar links and mounts, shock ends, control arm mounts.
A bit harder - check the spring isolators - the hard poly "spacer" on the top of the spring. Yes I know it usually protests in both directions - but can also only protest when the spring is releasing energy rather than storing...
The shocks themselves could be a source - disconnect them at bottom and check if sound goes away. Check brake line mounts, vent hose mountings and park brake cable for rubs.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a hard knock...
post #9 of Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
zdhutson

2007 JK Wrangler 

OP: Did you find your problem? I am having the exact same issue. Squeaking from the rear, more from the right side than the left side.

Currently: 2007 X: 2 Door, Steel Blue Metallic, Manual, Skyjacker 2.5" lift, Nitro 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Grabber 2
Formerly: 2001 Sport: Black, Manual, D44, Stock on 31s but lovingly abused (I loved that rig.)
KCCO
post #10 of Old 03-22-2016, 11:04 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdhutson View Post
OP: Did you find your problem? I am having the exact same issue. Squeaking from the rear, more from the right side than the left side.
TSB 06-001-08 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Squeak-Like Sound Due To Manual Transmission Clutch Disc
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the manual transmission clutch disc.
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine and
manual transmission (sales codes EGT and DEH respectively), built on or
before June 5, 2008 (MDH 0605XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a squeak-like sound from the transmission clutch. This
sound will occur when there is a change in engine torque. The squeak-like sound can be
heard most often during: clutch engagement, acceleration (tip-in), and/or deceleration
maneuvers. This condition may be due to the clutch disc internal components.
post #11 of Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Side to side is likely a sway bar. Although could be a shock. Those bushings are rubber and 10 years old now... Assuming still original since rear sway bar links are not a common add to a lift kit.

Links are cheap, but may want to look into something different back there. Anti-Rock, extended links, etc. I'd at least do extended. I have the originals on my 07 with a 2.5" lift. Still hangin' in there. As soon as they are done? Replacing with an Anti-rock. Could just do a good quality heim adjustable. The front manual disco links I got with my RK are heim and adjustable They don't make a lot of noise and are plenty tough. Also no bushing to replace.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)