Rear D44 Spare Axle Shaft, Carry One or Two? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear D44 Spare Axle Shaft, Carry One or Two?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rear D44 Spare Axle Shaft, Carry One or Two?

I donít normally carry spare axle shafts, as I have them at base camp in the RV. However for an upcoming 1,000 mile non-RV trip, I need to pack spare(s). There is about 1 1/4Ē difference in the driver vs. passenger side shaft length (I think the driver side is shorter). If I carry just the shorter shaft, can it be used on either side? If needed (i.e. I bend or brake a shaft), it would need to get me off the trail and a couple hundred miles home.

cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I believe the shorter side is the right side. I doubt that you can swap one side for the other. Easier to carry both, than find out the hard way when you need them.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC the TJ D44 was about 1/2" difference in the axleshaft lengths; meaning you could carry just the shorter shaft for a trailspare. I was surprised to find the JKD44 shafts at 1 1/4" difference. Unless someone tells me they’ve successfully done it, I’ll have to carryspares for both sides.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.