Rear Brake noise at lower speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Brake noise at lower speed

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rear Brake noise at lower speed

One day after some rock crawling I developed a rythmic squeal on the right rear when braking lightly which changes with vehicle speed. There is not a noticable pulse in the pedal and it does not occur when braking hard. There are no other adverse driving issues.

I took the wheel off and inspected. It appears there was slight contact with the brake caliper on the lower bolt on the portion that allows movement as the pads wear. Using a screw diver held to the fixed portion of the caliper and rotating the axle there is obvious runout in the disc. Having said that - this is not a true measure of runout since the studs weren't on tight. There is no other visible damage.

I have searched the forum and read extensively about bent axles (this is obviously potential for the rotating shaft here , not the outer tube) which is possible. Also possible is a bent rotor, although the contact with the rock would not appear severe enough to cause that. While it was a tough trail with some bouncing and scraping, I am not hard on the gas pedal and don't abuse it.

So here is the question - is this minor enough to simply put up with the squeal and keep an eye on it, or am I in danger of trashing the wheel bearling if I don't do something with it soon? I could get a dial indicator, remove the rotor and measure the runout on the axle flange.

Looking for thoughts and recommendations. I was hoping to use Christmas money this year for gears so not excited about replacing an axle.

2007 JK 2dr Rubicon, 3" Black Diamond Lift, 35" KM2s, M/T Classic IIs, Rancho shocks, Mopar bumpers, 8000 lb winch, Ace rock sliders, Skid Row engine/oil pan skid, evap skid, Tom Woods driveshafts, Riddler diff covers, rear adjustable upper control arms, chromoly rear shafts, Reid knuckles, Synergy chromoly tie rod, track bar, and flipped drag link.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Look at the brake rotor, glazing usally cause's that, but there could also be a small score or chip in it, and its hard to see both sides with it mounted, you'll have to remove it.
danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
ncb

My JK was doing the same thing. The brakes were nearly shot and right rear rotor wasn't true. New pads and rotors and the noise is gone. I did check the axle and it wasn't bent.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better. Didn't like the idea that he type of wheeling i was doing could bend an axle shaft. I'll look at either turning or replacing the rotor.
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon, 3" Black Diamond Lift, 35" KM2s, M/T Classic IIs, Rancho shocks, Mopar bumpers, 8000 lb winch, Ace rock sliders, Skid Row engine/oil pan skid, evap skid, Tom Woods driveshafts, Riddler diff covers, rear adjustable upper control arms, chromoly rear shafts, Reid knuckles, Synergy chromoly tie rod, track bar, and flipped drag link.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.