Rear axle seal leak question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear axle seal leak question?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 09-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Gary08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rear axle seal leak question?

My 2008 JKU rear seal was leaking I had it in the shop for repair and the mechanic is telling me I need another rear axle housing.

Mechanic finally got the axle out because it was rusted on good. Anyway when he put the new seal on, what looks like a steel ring that goes in the tube first than the axle sit on the ring ....the ring didn't go in tight it could move around.

The mechanic said this ring should not move and the seal is going to fail and Because of that I am going to need another axle housing.

My question is....should this ring go in tight and not move in the tube where the axle goes?

He did get the seal on in the axle housing and no leaks yet...so is my axle housing shot after 228,000kms on it.

Gary08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Why did he think you needed a new axle housing? I'm confused. There are three seals, one on each axle shaft, and one to seal the pinion shaft. Which one failed? JMHO, but at that mileage it would not be unusual for a seal to give it up.
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Gary08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

The one that fail was the axle seal ....when the mechanic put the axle back in the housing there is a steel ring that goes in first that ring didn't go in tight it can move around in the tube or end of the housing.

Because this ring can move around at the end of the housing where the axle sits ... The seals going to fail again.

Mechanic saying this is the reason why I need another axle housing.
Unread 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Dude, your axle housing is not shot, but your mechanic should be.
The ring is just to hold the axle straight so it fits through the seal without damaging it during installation.
Find another mechanic that is qualified quick...you are being ripped off.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Gary08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey thanks for the heads up Rockclymer

So this ring ... Axle retaining ring don't have to be in there super tight so it can't move.
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Dude, your axle housing is not shot, but your mechanic should be.
The ring is just to hold the axle straight so it fits through the seal without damaging it during installation.
Find another mechanic that is qualified quick...you are being ripped off.
What you describe is on the front axle. The rear axle has the seal already on the axle shaft when it's installed into the housing, so no alignment ring like the front.

Gary,

Regarding the loose fitting "ring", are you referring to the bearing outer race?
It isn't a tight fit in the housing.

Here is what the service manual says about the outer race's fit in the housing:

"NOTE: Axle bearing race is a slip fit in the axle tube."
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Gary08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Ronjenx now I feel better knowing that it's a loose fit and I don't need another axle housing.
Unread 09-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary08JK View Post
Thanks Ronjenx now I feel better knowing that it's a loose fit and I don't need another axle housing.
It would be nice if you had seen the fit so you would have an idea how loose it is.
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Gary08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did see the bearing race in the tube housing it was not that loose to me. I try to turn it in the tube housing it was hard to turn, I made it move just a little bit, I could not get it to turn a complete circle. It was not that loose the mechanic still had to tap it in with a hammer lightly.

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.