Rear Axle Kits. Superior vs. Ten? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Axle Kits. Superior vs. Ten?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rear Axle Kits. Superior vs. Ten?

The Superiors clearly advertise their lifetime warranty, and have been in the game a long time. I can find them at a $100 advantage to the Tens.

The Tens supposedly have an "EXCLUSIVE" torque equalizing diameter profile that allows the short side of the axle to have the same ductility as the longs side. Fluff? The Tens also have rolled splines, vs. the cut splines of the Superiors...again, I don't know if this is really all that importantm, given the lifetime warranty of the Superior, and the fact that the OE 32 spline axles withstood every bit of offroad abuse I have thrown at them (it took a Nissan Versa t-boning me to finally bend them).

Anybody have a take on the matter, or am I reading into this too much?

Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Pics...both kits include bearings, seals, and studs (tens studs are press in, Superiors are thread-in)
superior.jpg   ten.jpg  
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Rolled splines are forged, so all that material in the grooves is actually forced into the root and or tooth section of the axle shaft spline. A cut spline is machined and the material is simply removed to form the teeth. Hence, in theory, rolled splines are stronger. This isn't that big of a deal, because both shafts are made of chromoly steel (4130) and they're much stronger than stock shafts anyhow. Most times an axle shaft actually breaks mid-way instead of at the spline - in theory supposed to save your more expensive parts from self-destructing.

Looking at the pictures, I'm not sure what those large holes are on the hub of the Superior shafts - I'll have to read about the purpose of that! At a glance, I'm not too sure if I'm fussy about that material being taken away from one side of the hub for balance purposes...

Regardless, I think either way you'll win.

Interested to see what you finally get!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, makes perfect sense I think you're right: six in one hand, half-dozen in the other.

Being that we don't have an account with Ten, and the Superiors retail for $100 less, I'll probably order the Superiors for the substantially better deal.
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

superior EVO series are better product. superiors axle shafts are made in the states with USA steel and feature better metallurgy and heat treating than their brethren. Superior makes 2 series of their axle shafts. Replacement and EVO. their EVO's are their premium product. that said - i ran 10 factory shafts in my TJ and they were great.

the large hole in the superior shaft is an access hole so you can remove the bolts that hold the axle shaft retainer plate to the axle. all D44 axles have them as they are semi-float. the 10-factories in the above picture are for a Dana 35, see the little nub at the end of the splines? its for a C-clip.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
superior EVO series are better product. superiors axle shafts are made in the states with USA steel and feature better metallurgy and heat treating than their brethren. Superior makes 2 series of their axle shafts. Replacement and EVO. their EVO's are their premium product. that said - i ran 10 factory shafts in my TJ and they were great.

the large hole in the superior shaft is an access hole so you can remove the bolts that hold the axle shaft retainer plate to the axle. all D44 axles have them as they are semi-float.
Good info - I hadn't noticed two different lines of the Superior shafts, I'll look closer and order accordingly.

Is there an obvious reason why the 44 cannot be converted to a full-floater?

Quote:
the 10-factories in the above picture are for a Dana 35, see the little nub at the end of the splines? its for a C-clip.
No kidding? That's the pic they use for their 32 spline 44 shafts
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Found the Evo kits - cold formed, rolled splines just like the Ten axles.

Edit: The only rubi-compatible Evolution Series kits are for the front. The only rear Evo is a Dana 35 set for the rear

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/alloy-usa-superior/jeep-wrangler-jk.htm
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

to get the EVO series for the rear can only be obtained as a Super 44 kit, 35 spline.

a full float conversion wouldn't be cost effective for a D44. thats something you look at for 1 Ton trucks. plus i don't think they ever made a full float 44

Unread 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
to get the EVO series for the rear can only be obtained as a Super 44 kit, 35 spline.
I got it figured out...

It's 32-spline according to Superior's website, part # EV52

But it can be upgraded for $30 from 32 spline rubicon shaft to 35 spline without having to go to a super 44 kit (if you dont need locker, etc.)

Quote:
a full float conversion wouldn't be cost effective for a D44. thats something you look at for 1 Ton trucks. plus i don't think they ever made a full float 44
Warn used to make them, but that was years ago. I have come across a few XJs and TJs that still have them.
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

I've been running Superior Evolutions front & rear for two years and so far all's been good. Biggest complaint is that Superior is often on what somone called "Intergallactic Backorder". The first set of fronts I had were so off center they hit the inner sleeves. Took them a month to get me a set that were properly on center. Worth checking into or you may have a long wait. OTOH, the rears pressed together fine and have taken a beating, no problemo.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
I got it figured out...

It's 32-spline according to Superior's website, part # EV52

But it can be upgraded for $30 from 32 spline rubicon shaft to 35 spline without having to go to a super 44 kit (if you dont need locker, etc.)

Warn used to make them, but that was years ago. I have come across a few XJs and TJs that still have them.
i was mistaken. but like i said - superiors EVO stuff is the best you can get

Unread 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i was mistaken. but like i said - superiors EVO stuff is the best you can get
Cool - sorry, not trying to pull a "ha, you were wrong", just tryingto make sure I'm ordering the right stuff the first time
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Your problem:

Quote:
Wait I'm at least 1/4 Polish too damn...
Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars07 View Post
Your problem:

Wait I'm at least 1/4 Polish too damn...
The ginger is hurting you more than the pole
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Great info, Spyder6 - thanks. So I suppose that it is the Superiors, then Molshove?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.