Really..how long to fold the soft top down? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Really..how long to fold the soft top down?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
tbrkek

Really..how long to fold the soft top down?

Ok..so really, how long does it take you all to fold the soft top back? I finally got mine on after my fingers were almost takin off! They are still numb! Anyway I didn't even attempt to fold it down, because it was just a pain to get it installed. I would think with taking off the rear windows it would take a good 20 minutes or so. Does the rear window actually have to be taken off or just the sides? Also, what are you're preferred methods? Do you start from the middle or the front and unhook from there? Thanks!!

tbrkek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
4GvnSnr

5-10 minutes maybe... Only had it down 3 times so far... I unhook the front latches, take the side windows out, then the rear and the rest is cake from there.
4GvnSnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
infosponge

It gets easier every time you do it and as the top gets broken in.
infosponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
KrasnayaZnamya

10 minutes max, and I'm taking my time as it's new. It's been off four times so far and it seems a lot easier than my TJ.
KrasnayaZnamya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Dypuz
2013 JK Wrangler 

10 Min is pushing it. As long as you know what velcro and zippers look like, you should be good.

But seriosly, it just does not take that long. Try doing the windows first. If you leave the windows on, you will scratch and scuff them. If you keep them in the back, I suggest fold them evenly once or try a window roll. I don't know how the roll works with the JK windows since they don't seem to roll very well, but if you try it, let the rest of us know how you do(and post pics). Good luck. Wait until you have to put the top up when an unexpected down pour begins. That kind of rain creates record times.
Dypuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
tbrkek

Well...better than I was hoping for!! Thanks for the replies! As far as unhooking the sides around the Jeep, do you start from the middle or doesn't really matter. Just seems really tough to unhook 'em. Although, I guess someone said it gets easeir, so maybe they have to be broken in a little. Thanks again guys..and Happy Easter & Passover to all!
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
trips
2007 JK Wrangler 

Do you mean the little plastic flaps that attach the windows to the body? If so, I think its easiest to start at the ends. Although, after you unzip the window they just slide right out anyway. As far as the rear window goes I just roll it up into those straps that they give you at the dealership.

It won't be long before you can do it with your eyes closed.
trips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
tbrkek

No...not the plastic flaps that attach the windows. Those plastic flaps that basically hold the soft top attached to the body. They sort of flip under the edge around the Jeep. It was pretty tough to get those in, and I thought I once saw someone said you have to start in the middle of the jeep, then work you're way forward, then go back to the middle, and head back. I thought I saw that, but maybe not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trips
Do you mean the little plastic flaps that attach the windows to the body? If so, I think its easiest to start at the ends. Although, after you unzip the window they just slide right out anyway. As far as the rear window goes I just roll it up into those straps that they give you at the dealership.

It won't be long before you can do it with your eyes closed.
Unread 04-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

...and be careful putting it back up. I ripped one of the straps right out of the rivots on the horizontal bar. Now I have to pop them out and use metal screws to resecure. It hasn't caused any ill effects though. It still drives the same and sounds fine. Not really sure what they are for anyway. I guess to not have so much stress on the top when taking on and off? Oh well.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
BJeepJK

If it was cold/chilly out when you put your top on the fabric would be hard to stretch. On a nice day, in the 70's, it's easy to get those plasic strips out of the channel. Start behind the front doors and move towards the front then from behind the front doors, go towards the rear.
BJeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-Skydiver
...and be careful putting it back up. I ripped one of the straps right out of the rivots on the horizontal bar...
My strap on the passenger side pulled loose from it's rivets as well. I'm taking mine in Monday to get them to warranty it. It didn't rip loose or anything, the strap just came loose from the rivets.
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Dypuz
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrkek
No...not the plastic flaps that attach the windows. Those plastic flaps that basically hold the soft top attached to the body. They sort of flip under the edge around the Jeep. It was pretty tough to get those in, and I thought I once saw someone said you have to start in the middle of the jeep, then work you're way forward, then go back to the middle, and head back. I thought I saw that, but maybe not.
I don't think I have this right. Do you have a 4dr or 2dr? Because with the 2 dr, once you get the windows off, it dosn't matter which direction you go. Plus, I gotta agree with BJeepJK. You sound like you know what you're talking about with the 4dr. Also good point about the temp.

Last edited by Dypuz; 04-08-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Unread 04-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
Dypuz
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dypuz
I don't think I have this right. Do you have a 4dr or 2dr? Because with the 2 dr, once you get the windows off, it dosn't matter which direction you go. Plus, I gotta agree with BJeepJK. You sound like you know what you're talking about with the 4dr. Also good point about the temp.
Just found a pic of your rig. Nice. Good luck with the 4dr. I'm no help to you with that top.
Unread 04-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
tbrkek

That's what I thought I heard and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!! And yes, it was about 45 degrees when I took the hard top off and put on the soft top, so hopefully you are right and it'll be easier in warmer air. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJeepJK
If it was cold/chilly out when you put your top on the fabric would be hard to stretch. On a nice day, in the 70's, it's easy to get those plasic strips out of the channel. Start behind the front doors and move towards the front then from behind the front doors, go towards the rear.
Unread 04-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
CyBerAliEn

It is a lot EASIER when it is warmer. The top expands enough to make it very easy. I took my top off after it was sitting in 85 degree sun for hours... the top almost felt so soft; it was really easy to remove and put back on. If you wait until its in the 70s or such; it should be very easy!

And it gets easier the more you do it. The first ~3 times, it took me ~10 mins+. But after that, I can do it in a good 5 mins or so at a moderate pace.

Of course, I have a 2 door. I think it would prob take another min or so if I had a 4-door.
CyBerAliEn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.