Real thoughts on body lift - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Real thoughts on body lift

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #121
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

Not even commenting on body lifts. Just showing the OP an example of 35" Toyos on a lift of only 2.5 inches. Do they look to "jammed in there"?

jeep.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #122
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
While I understand your thought process, your logic is still flawed. You're comparing two vehicles with drastically different track widths, wheelbases, and centers of gravity.

A body lift does zero for tucking anything above the frame of a JK. The only thing hanging below the frame is the gas tank.

The JK just doesn't need additional tire clearance....35s fit a stock JK with ZERO modification. Bolt them on. What's it take to fit 35s on a TJ?

A budget boost will fit 37s, flat fenders and that same budget boost, or a 3" suspension and you can fit 40s with plenty of up travel. You should be worried about grenading axle assemblies before asking for more tire clearance without extending bump stops.

You're comparing apples to baseballs, and should really consider dropping the smug attitude, or at least educating yourself well enough before pretending to know what you're speaking to.

I wasn't comparing JK's to TJ's. 222doc and yourself made mention of comparing TJ's to JK's as a jab more an intelligent addition to a conversation.

As to your claim of only the gas tank hanging down below the frame.... You may want to go take a look under your 2012 Unlimited. I think you'll find the exhaust hangs down below the frame in front of the cross member that is also hanging down below the frame. The gas tank does hang down below the frame... along with the transmission/transfer case skid, and the mid muffler. The exhaust even has the cute little circle that loops underneath the driveshaft. It was clever of you to single out the one thing that even I made a note of the JK's not benefiting as much from. I make sure to take both of mine back to the dealership and have them tuck everything back up where YOU say it's supposed to be.

So 35's will fit on a stock JK with absolutely "ZERO" modifications? So no worries about rubbing under full stuff. No need to extend the bump stops. All the sheet metal and plastic will be safe. No fender modifications are needed... That's good to know.... You may want to update the JK FAQ...

So if I'm comparing apples to baseballs... Are you saying that a bodylift will/can do none of the things I mentioned on a JK?

Talk about having an smug attitude and needing an education.... It's hard for me to take you serious with only 2 years on your first build and your posts full of obvious false statements.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #123
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

No jab; I guess I didn't realize your feelings would be so hurt by our observations.

My exhaust took 10 minutes to move above the frame. Cut a couple mounts and flip upside down and weld back on. Simple as that. A body lift does nothing for the cross member, now does it? And no, the transmission and transfer case are both above the frame. I know because I just removed my gas tank in lieu of an internal fuel cell and am in the process of building a new cross member...AMAZINGLY, I'm doing this with plenty of room to spare, and no body lift. Its magic!

Yes 35s fit with zero modification. Is it advisable wheeling without modification? No, but they fit. My point is that it takes much less on the JK than the TJ.

Yes, a body lift will offer "a little more room to tuck things above the frame", but that extra room simply is not necessary...frankly there is tons of room to spare beneath the JK.

Why spend money, time, and sacrifice center of gravity when there is no tangible benefit that is unique to the body lift by doing so?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #124
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No jab; I guess I didn't realize your feelings would be so hurt by our observations.

Why spend money, time, and sacrifice center of gravity when there is no tangible benefit that is unique to the body lift by doing so?

Don't flatter yourself. Your far from hurting my feelings.

As far as spending money, a Body lift can save money by allowing you to achieve a certain amount of lift without having to replace the driveshafts and modify the exhaust. A small suspension lift combined with a body lift is much cheaper than using only a suspension lift that will force you into replacing the driveshafts and exhaust. Granted, the driveshafts and exhaust should be on the list but that's a large chunk to take all at the same time as the lift and new tires and wheels.

I usually enjoy the time I spend working on a Jeep. I do not consider that time spent a waste.

Explain to me how you are "sacrificing center of gravity".

A Jeep with a 2" suspension lift and a 1" body lift will have a lower center of gravity than if it had a 3" suspension lift.

If the body lift allows you to run less bump stop, then it will also lower the center of gravity at full bump.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #125
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, you win. If you maintain that a 2" suspension (there are SO many quality 2" springs out there) and a 1" body is superior to a 3" suspension, then have at it

I'll stick to what I know works just fine.

Seeya on the trail
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #126
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, you win. If you maintain that a 2" suspension (there are SO many quality 2" springs out there) and a 1" body is superior to a 3" suspension, then have at it

I'll stick to what I know works just fine.

Seeya on the trail

I've never made any claims as to what is a superior setup. I've only stated benefits of using a body lift and what can be accomplished in certain scenarios.

The 2"+1" vs 3" example was only in reference to a false claim/statement you made about sacrificing COG. It was not meant to be a basis for the perfect/ ideal setup.

There's not a one size fits all answer with 1 perfect recipe. A body lift does not fit into every recipe and at the same time some recipes can benefit from the addition of a body lift.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #127
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

I run a 2.5 TF coil lift and a 1" body lift with 35's. I wheel it hard through some nasty stuff on stock drive shafts thanks to the body lift. Personally i dont see the need for more lift but its a daily driver and we don't rock crawl, more mountain mud and skeg, trails, holes, creeks

I would not hesitate to put a body lift on mildly lifted Jk however......

If i had a 4" lift i would not do it.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2012 , 35's , aev , body lift , high steer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.