Real thoughts on body lift - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Real thoughts on body lift

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #91
mrchips59
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I dont like body lifts, period

mrchips59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #92
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i can't figure out if you're bad at math or you simply don't understand this concept. I'm inclined to believe the later.

If you install a 3" lift, with 2" bumpstop extension, you have gained 1" of uptravel....and provided you use longer travel shocks, you've gained more travel total. That's the whole point of a lift.
Again, your looking at the suspension as a number and not the physical location.

Quote:

you gain 1" of uptravel with 3" lift + 2" bumpstops. such as 4" to 5". That's not too shabby.
Not too shabby, but when you look at being able to double the amount of compression you gain... Thats a Huge gain. If your looking at only gaining 1" compared to 2" thats a loss.

Quote:
maybe, maybe not. I've heard that before. Plenty of manufacturers claim that on TJs, yet it's not anywhere near accurate. I've got a pile of parts in my garage that were supposed to fit with my lift too, yet didn't. When I help a friend install a bunch of parts on his JK, we'll see if his components of choice actually fit as advertised.

Know whats in your lift and what it requires.

Quote:
like I said, then your tires are too big. Run 33s or 34s instead. The difference off-road won't be earth shattering. or modify the body/tub/fenders/etc to fit.
You can run 33's on a stock JK.... why would you put a 3" lift on a JK only to run 33's just because your shock only requires a 1" bump stop? A 35" tire requires 17.5" of clearance from the body at full compression regardless of your lift height. To get that clearance, you have to extend the bump stop, Trim/flat fender, add a bump stop, OR a combination.

Not everyone wants to start cutting the body or flares.

The AEV 4.5" kit doesn't even come with longer shocks than the 3.5" kit, It comes with shock "extensions" (you know that little male/female piece that screwes onto the top of the shock). How much longer than stock are the AEV Bilstiens for a 3.5" lift? Where is the gain in travel when a shock extension is used?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #93
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Again, your looking at the suspension as a number and not the physical location.
you've said this multiple times now, but failed to illustrate what this means.

the axle moves away from ride height, and the uptravel/downtravel around that are whats important.

Quote:
Know whats in your lift and what it requires.
I'm well aware of what my suspension does, because i've pushed the axle to every position possible...full bump, full flex, full droop, with the springs removed....anytime you install a lift, whether it's JK, TJ, ZJ, whatever, you should do the same thing...

Quote:
You can run 33's on a stock JK.... why would you put a 3" lift on a JK only to run 33's just because your shock only requires a 1" bump stop?
lift isn't about tire size, it's about gaining travel.

Quote:
A 35" tire requires 17.5" of clearance from the body at full compression regardless of your lift height. To get that clearance, you have to extend the bump stop, Trim/flat fender, add a bump stop, OR a combination.
then do it.

Quote:
Not everyone wants to start cutting the body or flares.
then don't.

but as with all things, a compromise has to be struck someplace.

Quote:
The AEV 4.5" kit doesn't even come with longer shocks than the 3.5" kit, It comes with shock "extensions" (you know that little male/female piece that screwes onto the top of the shock). How much longer than stock are the AEV Bilstiens for a 3.5" lift? Where is the gain in travel when a shock extension is used?
funny, I run home made shock extensions on my Jeep The gain is in the downtravel. If you require bumpstop extensions, in which you lose some shock uptravel, then you can relocate the mounts. Shock extensions would be one example of relocating the shock mounts....making the shock's fully compressed length the same as the bumpstop extension requirement, so you regain that lost uptravel back as downtravel. This way you don't have to physically cut/weld/relocate the lower or upper shocks mounts to allow for a longer length shock.

Is it ideal? meh, not really. but then again, neither is your anti-squat anymore. it's all a compromise.

and uptravel is only half this equation...you still need downtravel. keeping a reasonable travel ratio is also important.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #94
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you've said this multiple times now, but failed to illustrate what this means.

the axle moves away from ride height, and the uptravel/downtravel around that are whats important.
You've only failed to understand. Forget about your numbers and go look at your suspension.

Quote:
I'm well aware of what my suspension does, because i've pushed the axle to every position possible...full bump, full flex, full droop, with the springs removed....anytime you install a lift, whether it's JK, TJ, ZJ, whatever, you should do the same thing...

I have. It's probly why I understand how everything can work together instead of by itself. It's Why I can see the waste in alot of lift "kits".

Quote:
lift isn't about tire size, it's about gaining travel.
While technically your correct.... It's not the top priority for most.

Just look through the titles of the threads on this forum. Do you think your going to find more that refer to wanting to run XX" tire size, or wanting to gain X" of suspension travel? Take this thread for example, The OP doesn't want to gain X" of suspension travel, he wants to run a 35" tire and have 3.5" of lift.

Quote:
funny, I run home made shock extensions on my Jeep The gain is in the downtravel. If you require bumpstop extensions, in which you lose some shock uptravel, then you can relocate the mounts. Shock extensions would be one example of relocating the shock mounts....making the shock's fully compressed length the same as the bumpstop extension requirement, so you regain that lost uptravel back as downtravel. This way you don't have to physically cut/weld/relocate the lower or upper shocks mounts to allow for a longer length shock.

Is it ideal? meh, not really. but then again, neither is your anti-squat anymore. it's all a compromise.

and uptravel is only half this equation...you still need downtravel. keeping a reasonable travel ratio is also important.

So you have room for a longer shock with more travel (that big number you like to focus on), but instead your running shocks that are shorter than what fits your needs.

Explain to me how you gained down travel if your shock travel remained the same? Wouldnt that be the same thing as losing uptravel with a bump stop? You would have gained travel by using a longer shock. You lost travel in your shock because of the bump stop.

Wouldn't you "gain" even more droop if you ran a shock that is the right length? You have room for a longer shock, but your not taking advantage of it.

By the sound of it, you had more bump stop than you needed for your shock, so you put an extension on your shock instead of using a shock that is the proper length for your suspension.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #95
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ps... Wrangler boy, when these JKs first came out (look at old threads from 2006 to 2008) nearly all of us had 2.5" BB lifts & 1.5" spacers.
It works well for 32"-35" tires, increases off road capabilities, inexpensive & keeps the original handling characteristics (drivelines, Control arms, gearing, suspension etc).

Certainly, " the next level" such as lifts 3" or more look great, have much better off road capability, bigger tires etc. but... As we all know, aside from a handful of well known/ famous rigs on this site, the majority of all these Jeeps are still daily drivers. 95% of their existence is on the road. But, when they do go in the dirt, we demand top-notch off road experiences.
Personally, we drive our JKU hundreds/ thousands of miles to get we're we're going. Go to MOAB, we drive. Go do a backcountry discovery route, we drive. Go to the eastern deserts, we drive. Since we don't trailer our rigs, the journey itself is equally as important as the destination. So, for many, having a giant JK on a 6" lift, buying 37" tires at $500 a pop each, getting 6 mpg with 5:88 gearing, new LA kit, new axles, new drivelines etc just doesn't make much sense at all.
It really depends on how you use the rig.

A 2.5" BB (especially a complete kit from a quality vendor) makes this a possibility for not much money.

Ps... I too used my teraflex shock extensions for 4 years (until the factory shook mount grommet finally warped).

If anything... Most guys have wished they bought an OME 2" kit from the get-go. I might even be in that group too.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #96
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you have room for a longer shock with more travel (that big number you like to focus on), but instead your running shocks that are shorter than what fits your needs.

Explain to me how you gained down travel if your shock travel remained the same?
Let's say a 13.5" compressed length shock fits in the stock location, without bumpstop extension. Let's use a 10" travel shock, so the extended length is 23.5". Now, you determine you need 1" of bumpstop extension to keep something else from smashing together. Now you've essentially got a 9" travel shock...because you can't use that 1" you've bumpstopped out. However, if you install a 1" shock extension, you essentially make the new compressed length 14.5" and the new extended length 24.5". So you've regained the 1" of lost travel back as downtravel.

Quote:
Wouldnt that be the same thing as losing uptravel with a bump stop? You would have gained travel by using a longer shock. You lost travel in your shock because of the bump stop.
not really, because if you need 1" bumpstop extension to keep stuff from smashing together, you can't use that extra 1" shock uptravel anyway. that's why you can add it back into downtravel, either by using a shock with a different compressed length (like 14.5"), or by using a shock extension (to effectively give 14.5").

Quote:
Wouldn't you "gain" even more droop if you ran a shock that is the right length? You have room for a longer shock, but your not taking advantage of it.
not if the shock travel is the same. if you have a 10" travel shock, it doesn't matter if the compressed length is 14.5" or 13.5+1" due to a shock extension, the travel will still be the same.

Quote:
By the sound of it, you had more bump stop than you needed for your shock, so you put an extension on your shock instead of using a shock that is the proper length for your suspension.
I added enough bumpstop extension to avoid major suspension interference & clearance issues, then modified the shock mounts to utilize full stroke of the shock.
Unread 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #97
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unlimited, you will not win this argument. Just let this guy think what he wants and let this thing die.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #98
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Let's say a 13.5" compressed length shock fits in the stock location, without bumpstop extension. Let's use a 10" travel shock, so the extended length is 23.5". Now, you determine you need 1" of bumpstop extension to keep something else from smashing together. Now you've essentially got a 9" travel shock...because you can't use that 1" you've bumpstopped out. However, if you install a 1" shock extension, you essentially make the new compressed length 14.5" and the new extended length 24.5". So you've regained the 1" of lost travel back as downtravel.
Why wouldn't you use a shock that has a 1" longer collapsed length (which would also have a longer stroke), and actually gain travel?....

Quote:
not really, because if you need 1" bumpstop extension to keep stuff from smashing together, you can't use that extra 1" shock uptravel anyway. that's why you can add it back into downtravel, either by using a shock with a different compressed length (like 14.5"), or by using a shock extension (to effectively give 14.5").
Point being. If the bump stop is there because of lack of tire clearance, a Body lift may allow that bump stop to be removed. Removing that 1" bump stop adds 1" to the suspension travel (instead of just moving the range lower on the scale). If the bump stop is not there for tire clearance, adding one will not effect the suspension.

Adding an extension doesn't turn it into a shock with a colapsed length of 14.5", it turns it into a 13.5" shock that takes up the same amount of space as a 14.5" shock. Your not getting the travel that a 14.5" shock can have. Saying a shock extension turns it into a 14.5" shock is like saying a bump stop doesn't take away from the suspension travel.

Quote:
not if the shock travel is the same. if you have a 10" travel shock, it doesn't matter if the compressed length is 14.5" or 13.5+1" due to a shock extension, the travel will still be the same.
So your claining that a shock with a collapsed length of 14.5" won't have any more travel than a 13.5" travel shock.

It's allready been argued that suspension lifts allow for more travel because they make room for a longer shock to be ran (that how you get that bigger number that you like).... Why in the hell would you not take advantage of the new found room for a longer shock and moe travel?

You can "what if" and "not if" all you want. This shows your obvious lack of concern for waste when it comes to suspension travel.

Quote:
I added enough bumpstop extension to avoid major suspension interference & clearance issues, then modified the shock mounts to utilize full stroke of the shock.
Well then a body lift won't allow you to remove any bump stop now will it.... I don't think I've claimed that a Body lift will allow you clearance for your suspension components...

So you have room for a longer shock with more stroke (a longer stroke), but you chose not to limit your suspension with a shock that is shorter than what you can actually run.

It's obvious we see things fom two different sides.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #99
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

holy crap, just shut the **** up slade...

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #100
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It is useless to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Quit feeding this troll...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #101
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why wouldn't you use a shock that has a 1" longer collapsed length (which would also have a longer stroke), and actually gain travel?....
if you want to give me a few hundred bucks for new shocks, I may be able to find a suitable set.

if not, I guess I'll just have to use the 2" lift shocks I've got, with a modified mount.

Quote:
Point being. If the bump stop is there because of lack of tire clearance, a Body lift may allow that bump stop to be removed. Removing that 1" bump stop adds 1" to the suspension travel (instead of just moving the range lower on the scale). If the bump stop is not there for tire clearance, adding one will not effect the suspension.
or since the JK's don't really have any major benefits to BL's, like a gas tank tuck, tummy tuck or MML, why not just add that needed clearance into the suspension with a little more lift and appropriate shocks/bumpstops? or modify/change the fenders?

Quote:
Adding an extension doesn't turn it into a shock with a colapsed length of 14.5", it turns it into a 13.5" shock that takes up the same amount of space as a 14.5" shock. Your not getting the travel that a 14.5" shock can have.
hmm, so I can have a 13.5" compressed length shock, with 9" travel, use a 1" bumpstop extension to reduce it to an 8" travel shock....or I can move the shock mount, and get that full 9" stroke, which includes 1" more downtravel than the previous option.

Perfectly ideal? probably not. Will it work? you bet.

Similarly, you can go the opposite direction...move the shock mounts further apart, and run an even longer shock.

Quote:
Saying a shock extension turns it into a 14.5" shock is like saying a bump stop doesn't take away from the suspension travel.
You're talking yourself in self satisfying circles.

If your bumpstop extensions take away suspension travel, then obviously you should leave your Jeep totally stock....because if you lift it or add bigger tires, you're going to need add those evil bumpstop extensions.

Quote:
So your claining that a shock with a collapsed length of 14.5" won't have any more travel than a 13.5" travel shock.
that's going to depend on brand and how the shock is designed.

Quote:
It's allready been argued that suspension lifts allow for more travel because they make room for a longer shock to be ran (that how you get that bigger number that you like).... Why in the hell would you not take advantage of the new found room for a longer shock and moe travel?
I take advantage of all the shock travel in my suspension, and that's always what I recommend to other folks as well.

Quote:
You can "what if" and "not if" all you want. This shows your obvious lack of concern for waste when it comes to suspension travel.
wow, you obviously have never read much of what I talk about over in the TJ forum.

Quote:
Well then a body lift won't allow you to remove any bump stop now will it.... I don't think I've claimed that a Body lift will allow you clearance for your suspension components...
Yet you've been telling me I should run less bumpstop because I need more uptravel?

Quote:
So you have room for a longer shock with more stroke (a longer stroke), but you chose not to limit your suspension with a shock that is shorter than what you can actually run.
I choose not to limit my suspension. I choose to run a shock with a suitable stroke length & compressed length, possessing good valving for a nice ride, which fits within the shock mounts I have.
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #102
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
holy crap, just shut the **** up slade...

You've had nothing inteligent to add since you started participating. At least Unlimited04 has some inteligence to offer.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #103
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if you want to give me a few hundred bucks for new shocks, I may be able to find a suitable set.

if not, I guess I'll just have to use the 2" lift shocks I've got, with a modified mount.
Thats your comprimise/sacrifice.

Quote:
or since the JK's don't really have any major benefits to BL's, like a gas tank tuck, tummy tuck or MML, why not just add that needed clearance into the suspension with a little more lift and appropriate shocks/bumpstops? or modify/change the fenders?
A JK may not have as many benifits as a TJ, but there are still benifits.

Quote:
hmm, so I can have a 13.5" compressed length shock, with 9" travel, use a 1" bumpstop extension to reduce it to an 8" travel shock....or I can move the shock mount, and get that full 9" stroke, which includes 1" more downtravel than the previous option.

Perfectly ideal? probably not. Will it work? you bet.

Similarly, you can go the opposite direction...move the shock mounts further apart, and run an even longer shock.
Or you could run a 14.5" shock (compressed length) and have 10" of travel...

Quote:
You're talking yourself in self satisfying circles.

Not really. Just killing time talking about Jeeps. I'm not having a blind conversation.

Quote:
If your bumpstop extensions take away suspension travel, then you should leave your Jeep stock....because if you lift it or add bigger tires, you're going to need add those evil bumpstop extensions.
I thought you said you shouldn't add bump stops just for tire clearance...

Thats where the Body lift works with your suspension.... When you need tire clearance....

Quote:
that's going to depend on brand and how the shock is designed.
You should compare shock length and how the compressed length compares to overall travel. you can compare shock lengths within a brand and from brand to brand.

It's safe to say that the longer the compressed length, the longer the stroke/travel.

Yes there are exceptions.

Quote:
I take advantage of all the shock travel in my suspension, and that's always what I recommend to other folks as well.
I'm sure you have a sufficient amount, but you've allready admitted that there is unused travel because of lack of funds for a longer travel shock.

Quote:
wow, you obviously have never read much of what I talk about over in the TJ forum.
I've read alot of what many people have said on all kinds of forums.... What makes your posts worth stalking?

Quote:
Yet you've been telling me I should run less bumpstop because I need more uptravel?
Ive only stated that a Body lift will add tire clearance without reducing suspension compression/uptravel travel.

Ive also recomended using the most shock you can fit for the required bump stop.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #104
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats your comprimise/sacrifice.
same as the high anti-squat I get running short arms, even with a 2" lift.

Quote:
A JK may not have as many benifits as a TJ, but there are still benifits.
so what benefits exist, other than tire clearance?

Quote:
Or you could run a 14.5" shock (compressed length) and have 10" of travel...
no, not really, because there aren't any good 14.5" compressed length 10" travel shocks for my application. Your choices are basically either 13-13.5" or 15.5-16" area (spec'd at 0-2" lift, and 4").

Quote:
I thought you said you shouldn't add bump stops just for tire clearance...
like I said before, it's last on the list.

Quote:
Thats where the Body lift works with your suspension.... When you need tire clearance....
So you're saying, the body lift is better than adding the necessary clearance into the suspension instead?

Quote:
You should compare shock length and how the compressed length compares to overall travel. you can compare shock lengths within a brand and from brand to brand.

It's safe to say that the longer the compressed length, the longer the stroke/travel.
Not really, here's a good example.

For my 2" lift, the spec'd Bilstein shocks are 8" travel, 13"-21". The Old Man Emu shocks I have now are 9" travel, 13.5-22.5".

Similarly, in the JK, a Bilstein shock for 2" lift (24-146708) has less travel than the Old Man Emu shock for the same application (60066). The Bilstein has is a ~9.5" travel (15"-24.5") and the Old Man Emu is a ~10.5" travel (15"-25.5"), about an inch longer.

So for the same amount of bumpstop extension and a similar shock body size, you get an inch more travel out of the OME's.

So yes, there are exceptions all over the place....in other words, you're better off paying attention to brands and compressed/extended lengths.

Quote:
I'm sure you have a sufficient amount, but you've allready admitted that there is unused travel because of lack of funds for a longer travel shock.
what? As I already pointed out, I've got zero unused travel. In fact, my shocks are 1" longer than most and I have MORE travel than most.

Quote:
I've read alot of what many people have said on all kinds of forums.... What makes your posts worth stalking?
well...obviously you aren't interested in learning.

Quote:
Ive only stated that a Body lift will add tire clearance without reducing suspension compression/uptravel travel.

Ive also recomended using the most shock you can fit for the required bump stop.
oh, so now you're agreeing with me?
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #105
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You've had nothing inteligent to add since you started participating. At least Unlimited04 has some inteligence to offer.
A fool is made more of a fool, when their mouth is more open than their mind.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2012 , 35's , aev , body lift , high steer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.