Ready to buy 4.56 gears for my JK - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ready to buy 4.56 gears for my JK

So its about that time that i think im ready to replace my gears in my jeep. I own a 2013 jeep wrangler 2dr sport with a 2" lift on 35's. My speedometer is about 12mph iff and get about 12mpg. Barely has any power from stop to start. I have done the formula and do believe i need 4.56 gears. What is all needed to do this swap? Good brand kits? Anything i need to know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 09:00 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I can't tell you what is all completely needed but you will need the gears, a master kit, a front carrier if you currently have 3.21 gears. A programmer will also be needed to set tire size and gear ratio. 4.56 gears are exactly right with your setup if you don't plan on going any larger in tire size.

4Wheel Parts has a sale this month on gears with installation, right around $1300 and the carrier would be another $120. I also at this point changed over to full synthetic dif fluid.

I caught the 4Wheel Parts sale in the spring for this and I'm really happy with the new gears and their service. Of course, I think the 4WP store in Raleigh is one of the better ones they have in the chain. They seem more reasonable on things than others and the staff is knowledgeable.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dies it have to be programmed immediately after the new installation? I dont want anyone else to install them. Im mechanically inclined enough to do my own work lol

I honestly dont know what gears are currently in my jeep. Its stock. Dana 30 front and dana 44 on the rear. But i dont plan in going any bigger. 35's are good for me ha

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

1) Do you have the Auto or the stick? That makes a difference on if you need to reprogram right away. The stick, no you can get away without reprogramming, the auto, no you should do that when you do the gears. The computer shifts the trans based on inputs from the wheel sensors and the transmission, not telling the computer what gears and tire size you have make the calculations off and the Jeep exhibits poor performance.

2) Gears need to be set up with the proper shims and, lash, engagement, etc. If you don't have the micrometers, calipers, etc then you really should let someone who has experience doing them to install your gears. I do a lot of my own work too but when it came to gears, I let someone else do it.

You have a Sport? Unless you optioned it with 3.73 gears, you have 3.21 gears and will need the front carrier. If you bought it new, then go get a build sheet. That will tell you what it came with from the factory. https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...WGxOMmc2T2w%3D

You are asking us what you need to do gears, that to me means you have never done them before and while I applaud your efforts, Take it to someone to do it right.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i hear this all the time about the w580 . Nothing to do with tire size and where it shifts, nor gears. I have set mine from stock 32s to 37 and it dont change the shift point at all, only the speedo readings. The shift points are managed by RPM and torque load logarithm. It will always look for the 5th as fast as it can get there, mainly for MPG. Sooooo like they say in Missouri, " show me". The placebo effect is what many sales work with. I am sure there are pro programmers that can tweek this some how but not for the kind of money. This trans has a manual mode anyway. it wont up shift even at redline. So its not like you can not hold any gear as long as you want. want to run around at 6400rpm first bang ever shift off the wall. yep does that stock. the only limit to RPM is the governor fuel shut off point right at 6.4 k. or what ever that is might 6.5. i have done this all just to see how it works. Over all this w5 is a rather good trans. best a jeep has ever had and better than the 3.6 that is pushing it.

Now if you change gears you MUST correct the computer reading or you end up in limp for gears not matching rpm. Just like you can not use a 4-atlas t case in auto w580 at ALL. since the trans can not read a low range out of any stock range; 2.73/4.1 low range. if you try to say use a low of 8:1 you get limp mode. No one has cracked this and from what i have read there is no way since there is no place holder or value for it. perhaps someone could make a box that gives the ability. but to date i have not heard anyone even trying it as cost and sales are just not enough to cover cost.

I have read on what you can do to make it shift harder ect.( not that its needed in a Jeep). But the w5 is a merc design that you can go to like blue top solenoides and other AMG goodies in side it. But the cost is rather steep for what you are getting. now if it was for 1/4 mile runs sure makes sense if you are at the point that is slowing you down.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 11:10 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I'll tell you this. When I put on 33's, I ran without a programmer for a bit. The driving experience at that time sucked. The transmission (NAG1) would shift too soon, causing the engine to lug. It also hunted a lot on hills.

Once I set the tire size, all of these issues stopped and it drove correctly again. As I now had the Superchips Flashpaq when I did the gears, all I had to do then was set the new gear ratio to prevent limp mode.

So, while you say a programmer is a waste on money from your experience, I have found out differently.

As the OP has the 6 speed, he should be able to get away without a programmer for a bit.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 8 Old 08-23-2017, 04:31 AM
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
Dies it have to be programmed immediately after the new installation? I dont want anyone else to install them. Im mechanically inclined enough to do my own work lol

I honestly dont know what gears are currently in my jeep. Its stock. Dana 30 front and dana 44 on the rear. But i dont plan in going any bigger. 35's are good for me ha

I'm just going to say if you don't know the answer to either of these, you're likely not "mechanically inclined" enough to do your own regear.

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
Follow me on Instagram - @thereich
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 12:07 AM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not going to say that you or anyone else can't install gears properly for the first time and be successful. I will say that it can be a long tedious task that requires careful measurement, judgement and attention to detail. Research and preparation are the key to success. Having the tools on hand and the time to complete the task with confidence is very important. Properly set up gears done by yourself is a testimony to your abilities and comes with a great sense of accomplishment. Improperly installed gears can end in catastrophic failure!
You decide.

My gear install listed below includes links to the resources I used to get all the info for my build. My gears now have over 60k miles with no problems. Not bad for a first timer

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.