Re-gearing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Re-gearing question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Re-gearing question

So, I'm getting 2011 6-speed re-geared this week to 4.88 (I'm rolling on 35" BFG KM2). A group I'm riding with is doing a run this weekend up near Tahoe. I was curious if I should still go on the snow run after getting re-geared? I've read some stuff about breaking in the gears. I was wanting some opinions.

pikegulley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

They should be broken in before you load them up with a snow run.

They need to have time to lap in, including some easy 4wd for the front gears.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

You can see all kinds of opinions from “yeah break them in” to, “drive it like you stole it”.

I broke mine in - as recommended by Yukon.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

The guy installing said I should probably do about 500 miles of off and on driving to break them in. Does that sound right?
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikegulley View Post
The guy installing said I should probably do about 500 miles of off and on driving to break them in. Does that sound right?
Yes. Off and on to let them cool. You should include some 4wd to lap in the fronts, since you will be wheeling in snow later on.

You can google breaking in gears if you want to read the whole routine.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Yes. Off and on to let them cool. You should include some 4wd to lap in the fronts, since you will be wheeling in snow later on.

You can google breaking in gears if you want to read the whole routine.
Good advise.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

So, the gears are in. I have some questions that I haven't really been able to get straight answers for. I was assuming that after I got the gears put in I would be able to see somewhat of an increase in my MPG. I wasn't expecting anything dramatic but it is looking like it has got worse (<12 mpg). This is probably due to the way I'm driving and terrain, I'm not sure. The power is back which is nice! Would love to know how people with a similar setup are getting better MPG.

I am curious as to where I should be keeping my RPMs when I'm going through the gears. I mean, I've drove a standard all my life but never really paid attention to my rpm. I always shift when it feels right. But now, since I'm trying to optimize my mpg the best I can, anything advice would be great.

The other question is, do i need to recalibrate my speedometer and the computer to compensate for the gear change and tires? I thought that I would need to but the guy at the shop said that it will be near stock again so I would not need to do so, "it will even out".

Opinions?
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you haven't recalibrated you have no idea what miles per gallon you're getting because you don't know how many miles you've driven.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
If you haven't recalibrated you have no idea what miles per gallon you're getting because you don't know how many miles you've driven.
So, I do need to recalibrate regardless of what he said? Plus, was I eye balling my gas gauge on a route that I commonly drove before and after.
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So, I do need to recalibrate regardless of what he said? Plus, was I eye balling my gas gauge on a route that I commonly drove before and after.
The guy who said it would even out is only partially correct: Performance wise, yes; Speedometer/odometer wise, no, he is not correct. You need to recalibrate for the tire size. The speed/distance data is taken directly from tire rotations.
Where you have a 6 speed, you don't need to recal for the gears, but you might as well do it while you are in there.
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The guy who said it would even out is only partially correct: Performance wise, yes; Speedometer/odometer wise, no, he is not correct. You need to recalibrate for the tire size. The speed/distance data is taken directly from tire rotations.
Where you have a 6 speed, you don't need to recal for the gears, but you might as well do it while you are in there.
Thank you!

Any input on the RPM ranges I should be keeping while driving?
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you!

Any input on the RPM ranges I should be keeping while driving?
I can't advise you on the 6 speed, as I have an automatic.
On mine, though, I do what it takes to generally keep the rpm around 2,000.
I'm not afraid to have it higher, but I don't like it to be much lower when there is a demand for power on the hills.

Tags
4.88 , break in , gears , manual , mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.