JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Re-gearing question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/re-gearing-question-1345461/)

pikegulley 03-19-2012 10:15 PM

Re-gearing question
 
So, I'm getting 2011 6-speed re-geared this week to 4.88 (I'm rolling on 35" BFG KM2). A group I'm riding with is doing a run this weekend up near Tahoe. I was curious if I should still go on the snow run after getting re-geared? I've read some stuff about breaking in the gears. I was wanting some opinions.

ronjenx 03-19-2012 10:27 PM

They should be broken in before you load them up with a snow run.

They need to have time to lap in, including some easy 4wd for the front gears.

joe002 03-19-2012 11:21 PM

You can see all kinds of opinions from “yeah break them in” to, “drive it like you stole it”.

I broke mine in - as recommended by Yukon.

pikegulley 03-20-2012 03:01 AM

The guy installing said I should probably do about 500 miles of off and on driving to break them in. Does that sound right?

ronjenx 03-20-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikegulley (Post 13269506)
The guy installing said I should probably do about 500 miles of off and on driving to break them in. Does that sound right?

Yes. Off and on to let them cool. You should include some 4wd to lap in the fronts, since you will be wheeling in snow later on.

You can google breaking in gears if you want to read the whole routine.

pikegulley 03-20-2012 09:58 AM

Thanks for the advice!

joe002 03-20-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 13269951)
Yes. Off and on to let them cool. You should include some 4wd to lap in the fronts, since you will be wheeling in snow later on.

You can google breaking in gears if you want to read the whole routine.

Good advise. :thumbsup:

pikegulley 04-02-2012 12:52 PM

So, the gears are in. I have some questions that I haven't really been able to get straight answers for. I was assuming that after I got the gears put in I would be able to see somewhat of an increase in my MPG. I wasn't expecting anything dramatic but it is looking like it has got worse (<12 mpg). This is probably due to the way I'm driving and terrain, I'm not sure. The power is back which is nice! Would love to know how people with a similar setup are getting better MPG.

I am curious as to where I should be keeping my RPMs when I'm going through the gears. I mean, I've drove a standard all my life but never really paid attention to my rpm. I always shift when it feels right. But now, since I'm trying to optimize my mpg the best I can, anything advice would be great.

The other question is, do i need to recalibrate my speedometer and the computer to compensate for the gear change and tires? I thought that I would need to but the guy at the shop said that it will be near stock again so I would not need to do so, "it will even out".

Opinions?

tslewisz 04-02-2012 01:23 PM

If you haven't recalibrated you have no idea what miles per gallon you're getting because you don't know how many miles you've driven.

pikegulley 04-02-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tslewisz (Post 13345400)
If you haven't recalibrated you have no idea what miles per gallon you're getting because you don't know how many miles you've driven.

So, I do need to recalibrate regardless of what he said? Plus, was I eye balling my gas gauge on a route that I commonly drove before and after.

ronjenx 04-02-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikegulley (Post 13345421)
So, I do need to recalibrate regardless of what he said? Plus, was I eye balling my gas gauge on a route that I commonly drove before and after.

The guy who said it would even out is only partially correct: Performance wise, yes; Speedometer/odometer wise, no, he is not correct. You need to recalibrate for the tire size. The speed/distance data is taken directly from tire rotations.
Where you have a 6 speed, you don't need to recal for the gears, but you might as well do it while you are in there.

pikegulley 04-02-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 13345591)
The guy who said it would even out is only partially correct: Performance wise, yes; Speedometer/odometer wise, no, he is not correct. You need to recalibrate for the tire size. The speed/distance data is taken directly from tire rotations.
Where you have a 6 speed, you don't need to recal for the gears, but you might as well do it while you are in there.

Thank you!

Any input on the RPM ranges I should be keeping while driving?

ronjenx 04-02-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikegulley (Post 13345693)
Thank you!

Any input on the RPM ranges I should be keeping while driving?

I can't advise you on the 6 speed, as I have an automatic.
On mine, though, I do what it takes to generally keep the rpm around 2,000.
I'm not afraid to have it higher, but I don't like it to be much lower when there is a demand for power on the hills.


The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.