Re gear question, 2012 Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Re gear question, 2012 Rubicon

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 11-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Our_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Re gear question, 2012 Rubicon

Im considering a 2012 JK unlimited Rubicon, it has a lot done to it including 37" tires but it has not been re geared. My local Jeep dealer told me late model 12's and newer could not be re geared because of ECM (or some other electronic device ) won't communicate properly once the gears are swapped. Any truth to this? Thanks.

Our_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our_Rubi View Post
Im considering a 2012 JK unlimited Rubicon, it has a lot done to it including 37" tires but it has not been re geared. My local Jeep dealer told me late model 12's and newer could not be re geared because of ECM (or some other electronic device ) won't communicate properly once the gears are swapped. Any truth to this? Thanks.
No, they are idiots...do not let those clowns touch your jeep.
LVCapo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Our_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
No, they are idiots...do not let those clowns touch your jeep.

I was chatting with the sales person on the lot, he told me they tried re gearing a 2013 to accommodate a customer when they accidentally sold him a Jeep that couldn't tow what they promised. I was told the Jeep wouldn't shift out of first gear.
Unread 11-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

They obviously didn't do it right. Search around. Plenty of people in 12's running 4.56's and 4.88's. The gear swap and a simple setting adjustment with a ProCal or whatever works just fine.
Unread 11-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm running 4:56 gears on an '12 for 35s. Runs great and no issues. You'll need a Procal to reset the computer for the new gearing and tire size. $150

4:88s are perfect for 37s.
Unread 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Our_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I won this jeep on ebay last night and Im not sure if I should go to 35"s or re gear, sounds like either size tire the re gearing would be a good idea. Im thinking the jeep may look funny w 35"s since the fenders are so small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Unlimit...vip=true&rt=nc
Unread 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
HemiJK37s
2011 JK Wrangler 

a 2012 Ruby will have a 3.73 or an optional 4.10. 2012 was the first year that 4.10 was an option and not a standard in a Ruby. The 3.73 and a 37 would work, a 4.10 would be ideal. any taller gear than a 4.10 would be necessary if you live in a steep hill or mountain area or do a lot of rigorous off roading or tow a heavy load on a regular basis.

we have a 2012 and a 2013 in the family one with a 3.73. and one with a 4.10. Don't let people convince you that a 4.10 is not tall enough as they are basing it on the punch off the line and not what the tachometer being in the eco range is saying as that is what you base the engines performance on.
HemiJK37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
HemiJK37s
2011 JK Wrangler 

if it has 3.73's and I didn't like the way it performed I would remove the body lift and run 35's. if 4.10's I would drive it as is and enjoy. I do not think you have to re-gear as you are in the ball park. either option is a lot cheaper than re-gearing and many many jeeps are running much worse tire to gear ration scenarios. thats a nice rig, enjoy it

It does not have leather seats as stated in the description fyi!! No heated seats or side airbags either just a note.
Unread 11-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Our_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiJK37s View Post
if it has 3.73's and I didn't like the way it performed I would remove the body lift and run 35's. if 4.10's I would drive it as is and enjoy. I do not think you have to re-gear as you are in the ball park. either option is a lot cheaper than re-gearing and many many jeeps are running much worse tire to gear ration scenarios. thats a nice rig, enjoy it

It does not have leather seats as stated in the description fyi!! No heated seats or side airbags either just a note.
I was built with the 4:10 ratio, I thought removing the body lift and going 35" would be the best option. I live in Central Florida so only a few hills but nothing to steep. I'll drive it as is for now, still have to wait a week or so for transporter to bring her home.
Unread 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
HemiJK37s
2011 JK Wrangler 

I live in SOFL and have same set up and its perfect. Enjoy it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.